SkyscraperCity banner

Which design do you prefer?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Futurist
38,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please vote on which design you prefer.

I can't believe there are people on here who actually, seriously prefer what we're getting now!

The previous design

The current design

·
Registered
18,396 Posts
the Vinoly design has character, it is unique, apart from the 'fat top' the rest is very nice

the Woods Bagot's design looks messy at the top

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Nice renderings but how would these building really look like in reality from different views? It is really difficult to imagine.

I like the fact that all sides of the Vinoly tower are curved vertically and horizontally. This is very interesting.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
this a battle between Londons unique character and the globalisation/N.Americanisation of cities

so Vinoly gets my vote!

·
Registered
170 Posts
While I accept Vinoly's design is slightly out of the ordinary, there's nothing whatsoever about the old design that appeals, or interests me, other than it's tall! This is a building that could be going up in any city, in any country in the world right now, and plenty are. If the City is to remain a world class financial centre it's got to at least be distinguishable from everywhere else! It's not like there's a shortage of simple, elegant (if that's what you'd consider this) proposals for the city either. Broadgate, Heron and Willis for example.

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Without doubt the Vinoly design is more appealing in my opinion. The old design isn't particularly original and in fact looks quite chunky; not slender and sleek. The Vinoly design is unusual and admittedly not to everyones tastes but with the right materials and cladding it could be pulled off very well.

·
Viking
1,078 Posts
Definitely the Vinoly for me too. I think it will be fabulous in real.

The other one I find too boring for this area :)

·
Registered Maniac
1,132 Posts
The new one looks better every time I see it. Every skyscraper so far built or approved in the City of London looks very different and original and long may it continue.

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
Nice render Mr Fox! The older tower fitted in so much better - like a big brother of the Willis building. Shame that if this new one get's built, the skyline will look like a collection of silly shapes.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts