1 - 20 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
77,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
187 Posts
you cant go past brazil for the title, but i also think that the french might be a bit of a sleeping giant... they had a horrible tournament in 2002, but they seemed primed and ready and with little pressure on them to perform... also i think the dutch have a good chance as well... very dangerous players, it'll be interesting how the socceroos will go against them in the lead up match in rotterdam... its going to be an interesting tournament nonetheless, bring it on! :)

·
Banned
481 Posts
I have had a look at Australia's draw. Should we finish second in our group, which is all we can realistically hope for, we would then be drawn to play most likely Italy in round 2, which is the first of 4 knock out matches a team must win in order to win the cup.

·
Registered
77,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^hey give us a break.hasnt started yet. we play holland soon and that should create interest.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
It hasn't started here either but the buzz is already massive.. How popular is football/soccer in Australia, is it just an ethinic sport or?

That Guus is some guy, two semifinals on last two WCs, is it time to take the next step? :)

·
Registered
77,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^its becoming very popular but not as pop as f00ty.yes guus is a genius, pity we will lose him after cup.

·
25,928 Posts
Amaruu said:
I have had a look at Australia's draw. Should we finish second in our group, which is all we can realistically hope for, we would then be drawn to play most likely Italy in round 2, which is the first of 4 knock out matches a team must win in order to win the cup.
Personally (other than Brazil) with Australia's opponents it's whoever is having a good day will win. If I was a betting man, I probably still wouldn't be betting on the games...too close IMO to call.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Woo! Go Australia! While I'm trying to be realistic by not expecting Australia to go very far, I'll still cheer it on and see where it can go! Who knows? We might even beat Brazil! :cheer:

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
If we hold them to a draw, or 2-0, it might be a good result. I think for and against goals could prove decisive. If Croatia gets hammered 4-0, us only 1-0, we both beat Japan and draw against each other... indeed it can.

·
©
9,473 Posts
^^
That was obviously a fluke. USA are THE most overrated team in the world. They were recently as high as number 4 on the FIFA rankings, i think they've slipped now to 5. But we all know the FIFA rankings are full of shit. They've changed the criteria for team rankings now, so hopefully sanity will prevail.

Brazil are obviously favourites to win. I'd love to see us get through to the second round, it's gonna be tough though. I just hope all our boys can stay fit & keep us in with a fighting chance. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
I leave for Germany one week from today!!!!

WHOOOOOOOO!!!!! :D :D :D

There's a real buzz around town, i think world cup fever has officially hit Sydney, hope it's the same around the country.

Anyone noticed those car flags everywhere, fucking great.

It's also funny to see every second ad on tv has a world cup theme ;)

·
©
9,473 Posts
My brother-in-law just came back from London, he said everything over there is about the world cup. Apparently they're hitting fever-pitch!! Lol. :)

I saw Japan tied 2 all with Germany in a warm-up match after controlling most of the game. Germany got 2 late goals to equalize. Japan might prove a real handful at the WC.

·
Registered
811 Posts
sydney_lad said:
I leave for Germany one week from today!!!!

WHOOOOOOOO!!!!! :D :D :D

There's a real buzz around town, i think world cup fever has officially hit Sydney, hope it's the same around the country.

Anyone noticed those car flags everywhere, fucking great.

It's also funny to see every second ad on tv has a world cup theme ;)
You're right, All the papers (even the courier mail) have it as a leading story or on the second page. If not, it is the first story on the back page (except today). Also the whole promotion thing they're doing with the tokens you can collect every day of the players from the Aussie team. On the news it is either the first or second story when the sports segment is on. Buses have full blown adds the size of the whole bus plastered all over it and as you said every add break on tv there is at least a mention of the socceroos or the world cup. Even people on the streets are talking about it, as in bars and coffee shops. It seems weird because as I've always been a soccer fanatic it is unbelievalbe to see all the so called soccer fanatics coming out of the wood work now. Good to see though, just hope (depends on how well Aust does in the WC) that it continues afterwards.

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
LMAO USA 5th best team in the world? what has the world come to....

I don't think Germany were playing their top team. They look like they have a top star striker, so we need our defence to be tops, our midfield tight in defence while very strong in attack to feed Kewell and Viduka.

·
©
9,473 Posts
^^
It said in the newspaper today that Germany were at full strength.......But i guess we know what some journalists are like!! lol :)

·
25,928 Posts
Australia v Liechtenstein

Who will win this match??

BTW if anyone knows what Liechtenstein is ranked please post.

·
Registered
77,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
we will kick there arse!! lol

the last thing Liechtensteins goal keeper will see>

1 - 20 of 389 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.