Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it would be quite interesting to show an update of all current construction projects in Leeds City Centre which have now commenced, as the city has never experienced a boom in developments which "reach for the skies" like this in its history.

I have based the list on projects over 10 storeys.

Here goes:

Lumiere Tower 1 54 floors 171m
Lumiere Tower 2 32 floors 112m
The Plaza 37 floors 103m
Opal Tower 26 floors 82m
Granary Wharf Tower 22 floors 69m
Clarance House 20 floors 66m
City Island phase 2 20 floors 60m
One St Peters Square 16 floors 49m
Globe Rd- Hope Tower 15 floors 48m
Granary Wharf block B 15 floors 47m
The Echo 15 floors 46m
Burley Rd Student 14 floors 44m
Granary Wharf block A 14 floors 44m
Globe Rd-Barrans Reach 14 floors 44m
1 Brewery Wharf 13 floors 39m
Globe Rd- Pioneer 11 floors 35m
Gateway East 11 floors 32m

Plus another Gateway building which is not shown on skyscrapernews site, but is similar in height to the above Gateway East building.

Think thats it at the present time. Please add any others I have forgot.

Now that is some list which I reckon no other city outside London could compete with.

Leeds is showing the world that it wants to reach for the skies. This is fantastic news for Leeds and us skychasers who have waited a long time for these developments.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I like this idea and it's an impressive list but I would like to make a suggestion, which is that we also include an update of all the construction sites where work has started this year. My estimation of the starts so far in 2007 is as follows:

1. Deltalord site on Sweet Street
  2. Granary Wharf
  3. Green Bank
  4. Latitude
  5. Lumiere
  6. WY Playhouse apartment block
  7. LMU site behind the Civic Hall
  8. Plaza
  9. Saxton Gardens (Urban Splash)
  10. Apartments on Waterloo Street

I was tempted to include the Works on Black Bull Street (the former Yorkshire Chemicals site) where Fred reported that some activity has started but I've heard no more as yet so will wait to add that when we know more. I've probably missed stuff off but I just wanted to get some idea of the pace of developments coming on stream.

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
2007 is set to be a cracking year for Leeds. When I return to Leeds in October I'm looking forward to seeing all the progress that has occured over the summer.
Who knows what 2008 will bring. Criterion maybe?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but this seems quite relevant in terms of the construction pipeline. Data collated by LCC (they update this every 6 months or so and have been keeping it for years) shows the following, as of March 2007.

In Leeds city centre (policy definition, which basically goes around IRR) there are:

- 6332 residential units completed completed since 1993
- 2469 residential units under construction
- 7814 residential units have planning consent
- 2998 residential units are subject of submitted applications to be determined.

Whilst much of this will be more pipedream than pipeline, it's still a stark reminder of the sheer volume of consents and units under construction - over 10,000 compared to the 6,300 completed by March 07.

Full details, including a list of all the individual developments and their status is here.

Actually thinking aboout it, this data could usefully be cross-referenced with the construction list... this is an excellent source of info on what has consent.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like this idea and it's an impressive list but I would like to make a suggestion, which is that we also include an update of all the construction sites where work has started this year. My estimation of the starts so far in 2007 is as follows:

1. Deltalord site on Sweet Street
  2. Granary Wharf
  3. Green Bank
  4. Latitude
  5. Lumiere
  6. WY Playhouse apartment block
  7. LMU site behind the Civic Hall
  8. Plaza
  9. Saxton Gardens (Urban Splash)
  10. Apartments on Waterloo Street

I was tempted to include the Works on Black Bull Street (the former Yorkshire Chemicals site) where Fred reported that some activity has started but I've heard no more as yet so will wait to add that when we know more. I've probably missed stuff off but I just wanted to get some idea of the pace of developments coming on stream.
The idea of starting this thread was to show an update on projects which have now started construction, so the list at the beginning of this thread shows "projects under construction."

I appreciate you adding 4 more projects: Deltalord, Latitude, LMU Rose Bowl, and Saxton Gardens, but not sure any of them are 10 floors or more?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The idea of starting this thread was to show an update on projects which have now started construction, so the list at the beginning of this thread shows "projects under construction."

I appreciate you adding 4 more projects: Deltalord, Latitude, LMU Rose Bowl, and Saxton Gardens, but not sure any of them are 10 floors or more?
Yes, I quite understand your point but I hope you also appreciate mine which is that developments such as the Rosebowl and Latitude are very significant whether or not they're more than 10 storeys. Latitude alone will add more than 600,000 sq feet of office accommodation to the city's stock. And, given that the thread's title is "Projects under construction", it's reasonable to include them, don't you think?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I quite understand your point but I hope you also appreciate mine which is that developments such as the Rosebowl and Latitude are very significant whether or not they're more than 10 storeys. Latitude alone will add more than 600,000 sq feet of office accommodation to the city's stock. And, given that the thread's title is "Projects under construction", it's reasonable to include them, don't you think?
Yes, I agree that these buildings should be included. I wanted to originally show that we had no fewer than 17 buildings now under construction all over 10 storeys high, but why not include other developments with less floors, we must have at least 20+ under construction....amazing!!!!

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Yes, I agree that these buildings should be included. I wanted to originally show that we had no fewer than 17 buildings now under construction all over 10 storeys high, but why not include other developments with less floors, we must have at least 20+ under construction....amazing!!!!

It would be good to update this list as the year goes on, especially since we're less than halfway through it :) :) :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but this seems quite relevant in terms of the construction pipeline. Data collated by LCC (they update this every 6 months or so and have been keeping it for years) shows the following, as of March 2007.

In Leeds city centre (policy definition, which basically goes around IRR) there are:

- 6332 residential units completed completed since 1993
- 2469 residential units under construction
- 7814 residential units have planning consent
- 2998 residential units are subject of submitted applications to be determined.

Whilst much of this will be more pipedream than pipeline, it's still a stark reminder of the sheer volume of consents and units under construction - over 10,000 compared to the 6,300 completed by March 07.

Full details, including a list of all the individual developments and their status is here.

Actually thinking aboout it, this data could usefully be cross-referenced with the construction list... this is an excellent source of info on what has consent.
The Leeds City Council database of residential developments is useful but in my experience, as compiler of the City Living Survey (2003, 2005 and the 2007 survey in progress) it is not beyond reproach. ALan Cranswick admits that it's a bit of an art. We're still working on our 2007 figures, which includes checking on the ground. Will post them here when I am reasonably satified that they are as 'clean' as possible.
For past surveys see www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/publications/cityliving

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
The Leeds City Council database of residential developments is useful but in my experience, as compiler of the City Living Survey (2003, 2005 and the 2007 survey in progress) it is not beyond reproach. ALan Cranswick admits that it's a bit of an art. We're still working on our 2007 figures, which includes checking on the ground. Will post them here when I am reasonably satified that they are as 'clean' as possible.
For past surveys see www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/publications/cityliving
crikey, welcome to the forum!

I presume its RachaelU as in 'Unsworth'. I've got yours and John Stillwell's 2004 twenty-first century leeds book on my coffee table at the moment!

·
6,974 Posts
Hello Rachael, good to hear from you on here. Goodness, I meet John Thorpe in person for the first time yesterday and now Rachael Unsworth's on our forum. We are hitting the big time :colgate:

I'll be interested to see the latest survey details when they are released, as the 'health' of the residential market is critical to central Leeds' continuing success (as touched on in the Politics Show yesterday) and commented on repeatedly in other media reports.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Hello Rachael, good to hear from you on here. Goodness, I meet John Thorpe in person for the first time yesterday and now Rachael Unsworth's on our forum. We are hitting the big time :colgate:

I'll be interested to see the latest survey details when they are released, as the 'health' of the residential market is critical to central Leeds' continuing success (as touched on in the Politics Show yesterday) and commented on repeatedly in other media reports.
I also welcome Rachel to this forum and await the results of her latest survey.
Meanwhile one of the great bones of contention for city dwellers is gradually being addressed. There are now more 'corner' shops and other retail facilities to open soon, access to doctors in the city centre is now and will increasingly be posssible

·
6,974 Posts
Yes, the conveniance shops are popping up all over now. I noticed a new Sainsburys Metro is fitting out on Albion Street/Woodhouse Lane, near Great George Street/Rossington Street.

Add to that Co-op at West Point, the shop at the old Wellesley Hotel, Tesco at Clarence Dock, Morrisons at Merrion Centre, M&S Food at the station, Yum Yum at Brewery Wharf, and one proposed for Broadway, there's quite a few appearing now.

·
Mhmm?
3,733 Posts
Yes, the conveniance shops are popping up all over now. I noticed a new Sainsburys Metro is fitting out on Albion Street/Woodhouse Lane, near Great George Street/Rossington Street.

Add to that Co-op at West Point, the shop at the old Wellesley Hotel, Tesco at Clarence Dock, Morrisons at Merrion Centre, M&S Food at the station, Yum Yum at Brewery Wharf, and one proposed for Broadway, there's quite a few appearing now.
Not to forget my personal favourite, Simpson's on Dock Street!

Subliving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts