SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking earlier that Almost all the skyscraper projects for the country will start there construction next year.

JUST THINK of the Excitment we will be in when Huge skyscrapers over lap each others constructions, at least 4 will be going up at the same time!

it is going to be SOO COOL :colgate:

what are your thoughts of next year?
will you be happy? sad? over the moon??

:cheers:

·
No more heroes anymore
417 Posts
Perhaps they will go up, perhaps not. As I've learned during my time spent on these forums however, what previously seemed certain to happen can quickly (but more often than not, slowly) become unlikely to happen.

Patience is something you must have in this 'hobby', things never progress as fast as you'd want. Also although we have certainly seen a huge increase in the proposal of skyscrapers recently, I don't think that construction can match it. For every five or so proposals only one seems to be built within a reasonable time period.

I guess I'm new to the game though, I can certainly appreciate how barren it must have been being a skyscraper followe in the UK a few years back.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jef said:
It will be the year of demolition.

yeah i meant the year when things to do with construction will be happening :)

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
jef said:
It will be the year of demolition.
Weren't we saying last year that this year would be the year of demolition? And the year before we were saying the same bloody thing.

I'm getting sick of people saying next year will be the year for blah blah blah.

·
Registered
9,356 Posts
wjfox2002 said:
It's pissing me right the **** off that we have to wait another 6-9 months for the Shard to get started.
:)
Cheer up Will. Look on the bright side. At least now PWC has some where to go, which means they will vacate next year, which means by christmas time it should have started construction!

Russia tower will not be finished before LBT has started construction, that is for sure.

We also have Leadenhall, Heron, 20 Fenchurch and Multiplex to look forward too, and Beetham, at St Georges wharf etc... All next year!

*Always look on the bright side of life* come on, you know how it goes! :)

·
946 Posts
Good things come to those who wait. We picked the wrong interest for instant results because these things take a lot of time.

·
Registered
24,258 Posts
Well if you want anyone to blame, it's EH. Their public inquiry into the Heron Tower meant by the time the City knew it could build skyscrapers the demand for office space had been and gone.

Heron would be finished by now and The Shard would probably be at a more advanced stage than it is now if EH hadn't of stuck their oar in.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Although things don’t happen at a dubai like pace things are actually building up to something worthwhile.Don’t forget we now have 51lims st, broadgate, Pan P, Crossharbour & ontario U/C. Theres also a fair few mid-rises such as aldersmanbury house, stock exchange & Elektron as well. These will still be under construction this year. Whats happened in the last couple of years is all the taller towers have worked there way through the planning process & various appeals so now theres a healthy bank of proposals ready to go. I've no doubt we will see some biggies start next year whether its 1, 2,3 or 4 more we will have to wait & see.

It still reckon we will seeing a building of at least 100m constatnly under construction in London for a good few years yet.

Maybe we should adopt a 2nd city while we wait for the next London boom in the meantime…maybe dubai (at least theres a lot under construction there ;) )

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
DarJoLe said:
Well if you want anyone to blame, it's EH. Their public inquiry into the Heron Tower meant by the time the City knew it could build skyscrapers the demand for office space had been and gone.

Heron would be finished by now and The Shard would probably be at a more advanced stage than it is now if EH hadn't of stuck their oar in.

Well, good thing now that EH are pretty much dead in the water, right? Thought they blew all their money opposing LBT and Heron?

If so, just a case of waiting for the next cycle...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
We wouldnt have heron in its current form if it was EH, and overall in however many years when all the towers are up people wont care about Eh - what matters is they have failed, whether it took 5 months or 5 years of potential construction is irrelevant to me. Now theyve blown a large amount of their money and they simpy cant afford to keep up with the boom in London, they probably wont have a very big influence again, which means we can all thank Heron, LBT and the rest in 30 years when EH will feel like just a bad dream!

·
Registered
10,974 Posts
Way back in 2002 Gothic and I produced a series of images for London 2006 which seemed like ages away but to be honest these visuals are unrecognisable from what currently exists. to be honest not much has been completed of any major significance during this time apart from Swiss Re and Churchill Place. I am less cynical than I used to be due to the fact that there are several projects of significance U/C at the moment but I won't believe any of the proposed and approved towers will be built unless I see a core rising...with the exception of British land and Beetham who actually seem to do things when they say they will.

·
Registered
24,258 Posts
The trouble is EH are 'pretty much' dead in the water, and I find this a real shame to be honest, because they decided to pick the wrong fights. Heron and The Shard were the wrong skyscrapers to protest against, and it's cost them dear.

It'll only be a matter of time before a developer proposes a skyscraper right next door to the Tower Of London and EH will be unable to contest it, this is the real worry.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
yes EH ended up being far too narrow minded and political for their own and the greater good, with regards to their actions in London, surely they must have been hijaked by a few zealots? Well thats my theory anyway.

I think that there needs to be a new single urban design body along the lines of CABE that can visualise the future as well as understand what London is and where it came from, to have powers to force a redesign early on in the process with full knowledge of the local authority rather than this delaying knee-jerk legal action once planning permission has almost been granted.

·
Registered Maniac
1,132 Posts
I don't care when they begin as long as many as possible get built in time for the olympics. Sure will be an exciting time watching the City of London develop and Birmingham as I get a great view of that travelling through on the motorways.

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Potto for CABE manager :)

Sure looks to be an interesting year. I used to think London was ridiculous with its planning and nothing ever got done but you just have to be patient in this city. At least there are things u/c and at least some of the proposals will be built. All I care about more than anything is LBT!

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
I completley agree with Darjole and Potto.......EH were idiotic, through bad leadership imo, to oppose Heron and LBT on such thin, insignificant arguments (such as saying "the top of LBT will be visible from disused goods yard....once we chop this 100 year old tree down" ). However, i think EH are needed and SHOULD provide much better protection for Londons historic buildings, and not just the big, famous ones, EH should have channelled more money into protecting the basic 'background' buildings that are so often forgotton about and demolished, or hidden behind vast, ugly groundscrapers. These old, beautifully detailed background buildings are what really make London.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts