SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
24,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Entries open for the 2009 Carbuncle Cup
22 June, 2009

The 2009 Carbuncle Cup – nominations now open to find the most hideous new building completed in the UK in the last 12 months.

Now in its third year, the Carbuncle Cup is to the Stirling Prize what the Golden Raspberries are to the Oscars and over the next four weeks we'll be taking your nominations for this year’s prize.

High profile monstrosities, value-engineered shockers, buildings so ugly they freeze the heart - crap architecture continues its march across our towns and cities.

From your suggestions, we’ll draw up a shortlist and the winner will be decided by a panel of expert judges, and announced in the autumn.

So get those nominations in, by emailing us at [email protected] telling us where the building is and why it deserves to win. Pictures are welcome.

Previous winners:

Radisson SAS Waterfront Hotel, Jersey, EPR Architects

Opal Court, Leicester, Stephen George & Partners

Drake Circus Shopping Centre, Plymouth, Chapman Taylor

·
Registered
24,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My personal submissions:

Wharfside Point South, Tower Hamlets, Hawkins Brown

One Stratford, Newham, Stock Woolstencroft

Westfield White City, Hammersmith & Fulham

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Easily the biggest carbuncle of the year:

Under the assumption of course that we're using this definition of carbuncle:

an infection larger than a boil and with several openings for discharge of pus
The biggest being his mouth.

Out of the 3 in the first post, I'd go with that block in Leicester. The one in Plymouth at least tries to be a bit different. It fails, but at least it tries.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
I assume we are focusing on London here, compared to those nation-wide ones listed London looks like a golden age!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
My personal submissions:

Wharfside Point South, Tower Hamlets, Hawkins Brown

One Stratford, Newham, Stock Woolstencroft

Westfield White City, Hammersmith & Fulham
DJL I think you need to get out of the M25 and see the provinces, those examples of yours would be showered with awards elsewhere!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Those entries are divine compared to some of the shite thrown up here. I would like to put forward this entry from the City of Preston. There would have been two but i cant find pictures of the International Hotel.

First of all we have new Student Halls on Moor Lane in Preston. This is on the edge of Uclans campus and VERY visable from one of the main gateways into Preston from the motorway, Garstang Road. Moor Lane is one of the most architecturally horriffic streets in the city but this building is the icing on the cake. Ironically this building is called the Intelligence Quarter. Shame they couldnt have got someone with intelligence to design it. The lovely view you are greeted with as you enter Preston is this...

Before, not the greatest view ever. However they managed to make it worse...

. (its the tallest one with the green cladding.

Heres some more images, look how well it sits in the area and doesnt look like a prison (sarcasm).

View up Marsh Lane

First time of trying to upload pictures so bear with me...

OK so none of my links worked, wouldnt let me take them from flickr. Will take some pics tomorrow and post them. But heres one to leave you all with :)

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
The State Street building Canary Wharf.
Whilst the rest of the world is pulling 'em down, Canary Wharf PLC just keeps throwing 'em up. Instead of using 1978 small American City for their inspiration, Canary Wharf decided 1960's Britain was the way forward. Dull, ridiculous, bizarre, the vertical struts either side of the windows that don't quite line up, already 40 years out of date, in short an eye sore. Believe me, my picture in no way conveys the absurdity of this laughable building.

·
Surveying a town near you
911 Posts
Drakes Circus in Plymouth looks shite from the outside. you almost get sea sick driving towards it, its a disgrace that the design went through. The only redeeming feature is a decent sized H&M. That opal tower place looks friggin crap too!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
This year should definately be the Opal Tower! It looks like a kid's toy and thats seriously putting it nicely. Terrible terrible building, and it's even worse seeing it with the naked eye.

·
Taikun
10,129 Posts
i've made my decision.

if saint george's tower in leicester doesn't win this, i declare the cup null and void. :yes:

i'm sure the whole of leicester is behind me.

No matter how many times I take pictures of it, it still looks awful. You can notice the blue paint is so poorly applied it looks inconsistent already :eek:hno:

At first I quite liked this bit of the development but the blue just makes my heart sink :eek:hno:

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
There the Opal tower in Leeds.[/QUOTE]

That's my photo! There are loads of worse buildings in Leeds. Most of the public seem to like Opal Tower - "I like it's red fin thing" is the usual comment... personally I like it because it's quirky and has bags of character. Nothing to do with me living here :shifty:

Opal Court in Leicester is much worse. The shopping Centre in Plymouth looks interesting so I think it's unfair to criticise the architects in the same way we would criticise the architects of that monster in Leicester.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
hmm, wharfside point is definitely the most awful thing built recently, that marketing image is an incredibly flattering angle, it looks like a prison tower from every other one, try as i may i cant think of anything that bad thats been built in the past year

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,340 Posts
i've made my decision.

if saint george's tower in leicester doesn't win this, i declare the cup null and void. :yes:

i'm sure the whole of leicester is behind me.
Sorry mate, it's not a new build, therefore can't be included. :eek:hno:

Opal would certainly get my vote, just a laughably hideous building.

The State Street CW building is if anything even easier to condemn given the larger budget compared to student accommodation. It's architecturally inoffensive I guess but it never fails to stop me in my tracks in a 'wtf, are they serious?' way, I mean how is it possible in this day and age to construct a building with cladding that doesn't line up properly? It just looks so absurdly cheap and nasty which given the likely amount of money spent on the thing is quite an achievement.

·
Registered
24,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The cladding not lining up on State Street is intentional, each panel is shifted compared to the previous. And the back portion is less showy cladding because it will be blocked in by both the surrounding buildings when built. No point spending extra money on those parts no-one will see.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My vote is for wharfside point south.
The picture which DarJoLe posted is one of the developer's marketing pictures and it still looks terrible!!! You need to show it with the dreadful 300 lane Aspen Way directly beside it to appreciate the full horror of the place.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts