SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They did a terrible job on presenting the recent Commonwealth Games and Channel 10 have now totally destroyed the ARIA Awards.

Possibly the most cringe-worthy awkward piece of rubbish ever hosted in this country.

Article from the 5th November

You're a sell-out: Jimmy Barnes kicks the Arias
http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...out-jimmy-barnes/story-e6frfn09-1225948094618

THE Aria Awards have sold out musicians and are too focused on TV ratings, according to Aussie rock legend Jimmy Barnes.

The dual Hall of Fame inductee has slammed the awards, saying musicians have been pushed aside to appease a TV audience.

"I think they're trying to make it for TV, which, I think, is rubbish," Barnes said.

"It reminds me of Countdown. Get all the kids screaming up front, treat most of the bands like s*** up the back."

He said presenting genre awards such as Best Country Album, Best Dance Release and Best Children's Album this week at a special concert series in front of competition winners, instead of on Sunday night was insulting to musicians.

"That's bulls***," he said.

"Whether they are kids, artists or country, they all work really hard, they're all really proud of their achievements, they deserve to be acknowledged by their peers as much as anybody else.

"It must be discouraging. They'll be sending them a letter soon, 'Here, you've won an Aria'."

He also questioned why international celebrities like Carmen Electra and Modern Family's Eric Stonestreet were presenting at the awards.

·
Watch my Chops
6,033 Posts
Can't be as bad as the Logies.

I like Megan Washington but she didn't have anywhere near the breakthrough that Tame Impala or the Phili J's had over the last 12 months. Proof that the ARIA winners are chosen by teenage girls.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At least the Logies have a bit of class and professionism. This year's ARIAs were all over the place, the audience looked confused, hosts were beyond terrible and the awards were given in the middle of the crowd and not on stage.

Laura Bingle looked constipated, Ricky-Lee's lame arse attempt to make a homophobic joke was cringe-worthy and pathetic to say the least and do not get me started on Nat Bass. Even Powderfinger had no idea what award they were accepting. Epic Fail

The only good thing about the whole shambles was the backdrop of Sydney Harbour

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Out-of-tune ARIA Awards 2010 'a sham'
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/enter...une-arias-a-sham/story-e6freeuu-1225949336637

THIS year's ARIA Awards were a broadcasting disaster and ultimately, an insult to the Australian music industry.

Drawing just 624,000 viewers nationally - 49,000 of which were in Adelaide - and attracting a torrent of Twitter and Facebook abuse, Channel 10's telecast of the annual event was, in short, abysmal.

What was meant to be the industry's night of nights, in which we celebrate the best our country has to offer, swiftly descended into a farce, capped off with the evening's top triumph - Angus and Julia Stone accepting the award for best album while facing the wrong way.

The talented duo weren't to blame - they were merely a symptom of the chaotic, ill thought-out ceremony's poor production values.

Held on the steps of the Sydney Opera House, this year's awards were a departure from the indoor, sit-down, single stage exercise. This year, the screaming fans were front and centre with the artists elevated to what was supposedly a "platinum area" adjacent the stage. Whether it was the windy weather that negated an impressive stage and VIP area set up, or merely the producers scrimping on style, the glam vibe just wasn't there.

Singers and musicians milled around with drinks in hand, seemingly at a loss, navigating the platinum area - which looked more like a roped off bar at a music festival than the artists' area at Australian music's premier night.

And then there was the presentation of awards. Firstly, those handing out the pointy ARIA statues clearly hadn't taken part in rehearsals - or if they did they didn't pay any attention. Independent MP Bob Katter popped up to help some of the Chaser boys present Adelaide's Sia Furler with best independent release but instead the politician proceeded to announce the "ARARIA" award winner - and took what felt like 10 minutes doing so.

DO YOU AGREE WITH JESSICA? TELL US IN THE COMMENTS BOX BELOW OR VOTE IN OUR POLL

Ex-Australian Idol turned R'n'B starlet Jessica Mauboy could've done with a read through, pronouncing debut as "de-butt" not once but twice and fellow former Idol Ricki-Lee Coulter struggled through some poorly scripted one-liners with international guest, Modern Family's Eric Stonestreet.

On announcement of the awards, finding the winners proved equally as messy with up-nose camera shots and people cutting across the shot the norm.

And then, the piece de resistance, on being presented with most popular Australian artist, Powderfinger asked US actress Carmen Electra what they had won.

Kudos to the artists who performed on the night - the musical numbers were the evening's only saving grace - and Adelaide's Guy Sebastian is to be commended for closing the sham ceremony on a high note with his spirited performance in the face of going home empty-handed.

To quote a music commentator in the know, who swiftly hit Facebook to express his disgust, last night; "And the winner is...nobody, we all lost".

·
#pantherpride
1,561 Posts
What's the go with the international guests? Does it make it more relevant?

·
Registered
450 Posts
It was an attempt at copying the MTV awards, that failed. I liked the idea of an outside concert, but whats with all the (SEVEN!!!)) awards being given in the crowd. The awkward silence after the jokes fell flat made it even worse.

Pretty horrid stuff, but in saying that...the original ARIA stlye ceremony is just as shit.

·
dink!
2,126 Posts
What's the go with the international guests? Does it make it more relevant?
I think the phrase you're looking for is "shameless channel 10 cross promotion". I'm certain those cunz from Glee were first to turn down the job.

I didn't watch, but from reports it just sounds like Aria tried to turn itself into the MTV awards and failed miserably.

·
Banned
3,269 Posts
i didnt see any of it, nor would i want to.. when mainstream music for the most part is a sham anyway, how do people think the presentations wont be either?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Go to town on ARIA and Channel 10, but I don't get the knocking of Angus and Julia Stone. It was so good to see a couple of artists being themselves. The antithesis of the media-ready Guy Sebastians of the music industry. I prefer they thank their cat and dog, not their agent and label.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
^^well maybe the label and agent a little too, ya know seeing as they won an award for their music :lol:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts