Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The results of the 2013 General Household Survey have been released by Stats SA. This is the most comprehensive release by Stats SA in between censuses.

http://beta2.statssa.gov.za/publications/P0318/P03182013.pdf

Here are some summary statistics:

Population

South Africa's population has increased from 45.8 million in 2002 to 53 million in 2013. Highest growth reported in Gauteng and the Western Cape, lowest in the Free State.

Education

73.5% of people ages 5-24 are attending educational institutions. Close to 100% for ages 7-16.

The percentage of learners attending no-fee schools has increased from 0.4% in 2002 to 62.4% in 2013.

In 2013, 94% of students attended public schools and 74% of these learners benefited from feeding programmes.

13.5% of students in 2013 reported experiencing corporal punishment.

Educational outcomes continue to improve. Between 2002 and 2013, percentage of those who had attended Gr 12. as their highest level of education increased from 21.9% to 27.7%, tertiary education from 9.3% to 12.8%. The literacy rate stands at 93%.

Social Security

Between 2002 and 2013 the percentage of families on social grants increased from 12.7% to 30.2%.

Religion

85.6% identify as Christian, 5.6% atheist/agnostic, 5% traditional beliefs, 2% Muslim.

Energy

Percentage of households connected to mains electricity increased from 77.1% in 2002 to 85% in 2013.

Water

90% of households had access to piped water in 2013

Sanitation

Percentage of households with access to improved sanitation facilities increased from 62.3% in 2002 to 77.9% in 2013. Percentage with no access to toilets decreased from 12.3% to 5.3%

Refuse removal

Access to refuse removal at least once a week increased from 56.7% to 63.5%

Telecommunications

95% of households have access to either a landline or a cellphone or both.

40.9% of households had a member with access to internet either/or at home or at work.

Transport

Taxis remain the most popular form of public transport with 40% of households reporting using one within a week prior to the survey. Private vehicles, followed by taxis are the most popular means of transport to work.

See the attached release for far more detail and provincial comparisons. Gauteng and Western Cape tend to perform far above average, Limpopo and Eastern Cape well below average.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
The percentage of learners attending no-fee schools has increased from 0.4% in 2002 to 62.4% in 2013.

In 2013, 94% of students attended public schools and 74% of these learners benefited from feeding programmes.
There must be something wrong with some of these numbers...

Between 2002 and 2013 the percentage of families on social grants increased from 12.7% to 30.2%.
What are the reasons for this steep increase?

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There must be something wrong with some of these numbers...

What are the reasons for this steep increase?
The numbers are correct. No-fee schools is a programme only introduced in the early 2000s. Similarly social grants expanded not because there are more poor people, but because coverage was extended more effectively and to more families.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Its StatSA, I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers are wrong.
Why? StatsSA provides great stats on SA frequently and timeously . Why such a glib remark, do u know something we don't or is this a case of inferiority complex? "oh the rest of the world is better than us ?" Have some pride man!

·
BOFH Extraordinaire
3,891 Posts
Stats sa are great at recording the data... of that I have no doubt. They have relatively regularly of late published incorrect figures.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
So long as there's no deliberate effort to alter results (I'm sure there are conspiracy theorists out there that believe otherwise but I haven't seen anything credible in this regard) or uncorrected systematic errors I wouldn't get too worked up about the odd error - stats agencies regularly revise their published stats anyways. Remember there's at least 2 space probe programmes that went belly-up because of some balls-up with data entry.

·
BOFH Extraordinaire
3,891 Posts
Oh, I very much doubt there is anything sinister involved...

I put it more down to incompetence than anything else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts