SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Hey
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
COMPETITION HAS FINISHED! ENTRIES AND WINNER ANNOUNCED HERE

DESIGN BRIEF

This morning, the IOC (International Olympic Committee) wrote to the seven potential host cities of the 2016 Summer Olympics to outline the requirements and guidelines of the tennis facilities for the games. As a highly regarded Tennis Arena designer, you have now been billed with the task of designing the tennis complex for one of the cities bidding to host the Olympic Games in order to support their bid. The following cities have bid to host the games; Rio de Janeiro, Chicago, Doha, Tokyo, Madrid, Prague, Baku.

GUIDELINES
  • The proposed tennis complex must be located within five miles (8km) of the city centre (the point marked A when you search the city's name on Google Maps), and include between 8 and 12 courts.
  • One court must have a capacity of between 7000 and 10000. There must be at least 250 VIP seats and 100 press seats.
  • Two courts must have a capacity of between 3000 and 5000. Each must have at least 100 VIP seats and 50 press seats. These courts can have identical designs, but do not have to.
  • The remaining 5-9 courts (depending on how many total courts you include in your design) should all have a capacity of approximately 500. They should have around 20 VIP seats and 10 press seats. These courts can have identical designs, but do not have to.
  • All courts must be all-seated with no 'safe-standing' area's.
  • All courts must be outdoor, as it is an outdoor competition. However retractable roofs may be used on one or more of the three main courts if the cities climate suggests there might be a need for it. Stands can have roofs, but do not have to.
  • Playing surfaces can be Grass, Clay or Hard-Court. However all courts must have the same playing surface.
  • There should be both indoor and outdoor area's for spectators, VIP, press and players to congregate (separately) between matches, possibly including restaurants, café's or shops.
  • There should be adequate parking for cars and buses/coaches.
  • The complex should fit together snugly but not too tightly. I.e. the walking distance between courts shouldn't be too long but there also must be enough room for the area's around the courts not to become too crowded during busy times.

COMPETITION

You are to take the role of the tennis arena designer and design a tennis complex in 3D in your chosen city (from the seven potential host cities), which meets the guidelines above. You should present your design in this thread before the deadline with a map showing the location of the complex within the city, a labelled birds-eye view of the complex as a whole, 1-3 shots of each of the 3 main courts, a couple of overview shots of the remaining courts, plus shots of any other facilities you wish to show. You should also provide a brief description of the complex and its facilities.
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRIES IS THE 25TH AUGUST AT 23:00 BST

JUDGING

Note: This is subject to change without prior notice.
There will be 4 to 5 judges who will score each entry out of either 20 or 25 based on a number of categories to give a total score out of 100 for each entry. Judges will consider such things as the appearance and the functionality of the complex and its facilities, and how it fits with the city it is situated in, among other things.
There will be point deductions for not meeting specific guidelines within. These are as follows:
  • One Point Deduction for every 100 seats under the minimum capacities stated in the guidelines for arena capacity or for every 1000 points over the capacity limits stated in the guidelines.
  • One Point Deduction for every mile in which the complex is over the 5 mile away from city centre limit.
  • Five Point Deduction per court for being under the minimum of 8 courts.
There are no specific point deductions for failing to meet the remainder of the guidelines, but judges will no doubt consider these shortcomings when awarding their scores.

ADVICE
  • Use Google Maps to find a suitable location to build your tennis complex.
  • Consider existing Tennis complex's (particularly the Grand Slams and past Olympic complex's) when designing and laying out your complex.
  • Recommended Programs for Beginners: Google Sketchup (3D Design) and Kerkythea (Rendering). There are various tutorials on these forums and elsewhere on the net to get you started.
  • For general talk, advice, and showcasing of stadium and arena design, visit this thread (skip to last page for most recent conversation). Any discussion of previous/future competitions will also take place in this thread.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I know I didnt point th9is out earlier but 10k isnt particularly big for an olympic tennis final venue.

Anyway, np they are the rules. Ill start on this once ive finished my current stadium project, I doubt itll take me more than 2 or 3 weeks tbh.

·
AESB Arquitetura
69 Posts
I know I didnt point th9is out earlier but 10k isnt particularly big for an olympic tennis final venue.

Anyway, np they are the rules. Ill start on this once ive finished my current stadium project, I doubt itll take me more than 2 or 3 weeks tbh.
I was thinking the same thing, more like 20k is more suitable for the main court and 5-10 for the sub courts. I think only Roland Garros has less than 15k.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, more like 20k is more suitable for the main court and 5-10 for the sub courts. I think only Roland Garros has less than 15k.
Anyway, there is no points deduction for going over capacity so I might as well just do that if I have to.

·
Hey
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beijing 2008 3 main courts: 10000, 4000, 2000.
Rio de Janeiro (actual design): 10000, 5000, 3000.
I think that's a good way to base the required capacity off.. Of course for London 2012 it will be bigger (15000, 11000, 4000) but that's due to Wimbledon already being built. The specified capacities were chosen baring in mind the capabilities of most people's computers. If I was allow someone to make 15000-20000 whereas someone else can only make a 7000, the person building the bigger stadium has more creative freedom which in my opinion gives an unfair advantage.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Apparently there is. :bash:
Didnt notice that, thought it was only for under.

Beijing 2008 3 main courts: 10000, 4000, 2000.
Rio de Janeiro (actual design): 10000, 5000, 3000.
I think that's a good way to base the required capacity off.. Of course for London 2012 it will be bigger (15000, 11000, 4000) but that's due to Wimbledon already being built. The specified capacities were chosen baring in mind the capabilities of most people's computers. If I was allow someone to make 15000-20000 whereas someone else can only make a 7000, the person building the bigger stadium has more creative freedom which in my opinion gives an unfair advantage. should be 7 to 18 k or something so we cqn build bigger if we want or dont penalise for q court too BIG
I think you could be more flexable with the capacities, as a country like spaon or czech republic do like their tennis so would fill a bigger stadium. It seems unfair to penalise those who want to build a bigger arena or bigger 2nd and 3rd courts. China and Brazil arent big on tennis, a country which is shouldnt be restricted to btween 7 and 10k or whatever.

·
Hey
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didnt notice that, thought it was only for under.

I think you could be more flexable with the capacities, as a country like spaon or czech republic do like their tennis so would fill a bigger stadium. It seems unfair to penalise those who want to build a bigger arena or bigger 2nd and 3rd courts. China and Brazil arent big on tennis, a country which is shouldnt be restricted to btween 7 and 10k or whatever.
I'm not sure the argument of China not being big on tennis holds up because they built a new 15000 seater court on the Olympic Complex a year after the Olympics for the China Open.. Not sure why they waited the extra year but hey ho.
I'll consider raising the 10000 slightly, but definitely not as high as the 20000 cruz_lion suggested

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'm not sure the argument of China not being big on tennis holds up because they built a new 15000 seater court on the Olympic Complex a year after the Olympics for the China Open.. Not sure why they waited the extra year but hey ho.
I'll consider raising the 10000 slightly, but definitely not as high as the 20000 cruz_lion suggested
Ok, I think you should at least not peanalise people for an arena too BIG, is seems wierd to do something better than expected and get penalised for it.

Madrid built a new complex despite the bid not going through which holds 12,500 in the main arena. Even the current biggest stadium in Prague as far as i know holds 8,000 and that is only used for a fairly minor tournament.

hey guys im off the competition i cant hold much any advice???
Dosent make much sense. Are you off the competition? In which case i cant help you much. Or is it just you wont be on the competition because you cnat get a big enough stadium, in which case pick a country where there will not be a great demand for tennis tickets in the olympics such as Baku, Doha or even Tokyo or something. Also look up tutorials on google of how to use layers on sketchup, these will help you a lot.

·
Hey
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eurgh would people prefer it if I just said the guidelines are recommendations and not essential and then get rid of the point deductions and just have a normal poll at the end to decide the winner?
Then cruz_lion can build his complex wherever it is he wants it, and you can build yours the size of the eiffel tower :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Eurgh would people prefer it if I just said the guidelines are recommendations and not essential and then get rid of the point deductions and just have a normal poll at the end to decide the winner?
Then cruz_lion can build his complex wherever it is he wants it, and you can build yours the size of the eiffel tower :)
I dont care, I just think its pretty tight to deduct points for going over the capacity limit when you would never be penalised for a stadium too big for something like this in real life.

·
Hey
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And in real life Prague aren't going to be designing a tennis complex for the olympics, when the olympics have already gone to rio de janeiro.....

·
Hey
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've made some changes to the point deductions section, basically making point deductions less strict. There aren't going to be any further changes regarding this issue though.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Dosent make much sense. Are you off the competition? In which case i cant help you much. Or is it just you wont be on the competition because you cnat get a big enough stadium, in which case pick a country where there will not be a great demand for tennis tickets in the olympics such as Baku, Doha or even Tokyo or something. Also look up tutorials on google of how to use layers on sketchup, these will help you a lot.[/QUOTE]

i have a 10,500 seats arena and done the walkways and everything but could put more grounds or stand my computer shuts

·
Hey
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nikola, I'm presuming your using components. If so, this is how I hide seats to speed up my computer performance.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Nikola, I'm presuming your using components. If so, this is how I hide seats to speed up my computer performance
Seriously? Just use layers, massively easier. Go to windows, layers and press the pls buton to create a new layrer. Right click on the seat or body of seats and go to entity info. move to menu thing to layer 2 or the new layer. then just tick or untick the box in layers to show and hide it.

look up some tutorials on youtube, trust me its much easuer than ur way.

erm, what type of court? hard, clay or grass?
Any, read the oruginal post.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts