SkyscraperCity banner

What city will be chose? (It's not your favourite city)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 858 Posts

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
I see Rio as being somewhat of a pipe dream, specifically because of the super-high violent crime rates. Drug lords control certain areas, and warlords have their hand at areas around the mountain. I wouldn't be surprised if throwing Rio on the ballot was just an move by the IOC to garner some positive publicity.

Tokyo is advocating something to the effect of "the most efficient Olympics ever," which is a slogan that definitely does not surprise me coming from Japan. Tokyo is alive, it's vibrant, it has a super effective transportation system, and it's got the resources to finance the project to boot. I also think the fact that the World Cup (which it jointly ran with South Korea) ran so smoothly will help its bid a bit. All that said...As much as I'd like to see the games go down in Tokyo, Japan just hosted the Olympics in '98, and Beijing's going to be hosting the games this year. I think the repetitiveness of the Asian theme (not to mention the winter games in Hongcouver) could prove tiresome, and eventually rule out Tokyo's bid.

I definitely think it'll turn into a tossup between Chicago and Madrid in the end. Madrid is a more attractive city from an international relations standpoint, and while I don't know what the city's infrastructure is like, I've been to Chicago and would wager that Madrid could do a better job of entertaining the athletes.

Chicago does have an edge though, in that the games have recently been dominated by Europe and Asia, and will see a few more bids from Europe for upcoming games.

But a tossup between Madrid and Chicago. I say Madrid wins.

·
Banned
62 Posts
Madrid is highly unlikely after London,Europe in 2012 and Barcelona,Spain in 1992. The official website looks also very unprofessional. Anyway, Madrid has already created a marketing success even without having any chances at all.

Considering the continental rotation Chicago or Rio have best chances.

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
Chicago or Tokyo. For our sake, I hope Tokyo. ;) Though Chicago does have the advantage of having never hosted an Olympics, so I'd say its the more likely candidate.

·
Premium Member
30,319 Posts
I think that it will be between Rio and Chicago. Madrid is unlikely since London would host it four years earlier, Tokyo is somewhat hampered by Beijing hosting this year. Although unrelated, I must note that Brazil is hosting the World Cup in 2014. Chicago has a good chance of winning the Olympics, IMO.

However, one sour point against Chicago is it's infrastructure. I have heard that they need to update it MASSIVELY. O'Hare Airport is a mess, and I have heard about issues with the L there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think Madrid could be the best option after London, each city has a different culture, the continent isn´t the most important thing.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
i'm amazed so many people are choosing Madrid

2004: Europe
2008: Asia
2012: Europe
2016: Europe

Wouldn't this seem like quite a bit of Europe? Not to mention Spain had the olympics in 1992 and it's a fairly small country. I really don't see this happening. Especially with them in London only 4 years earlier, and Athens only 8 years before that.

·
Banned
5,848 Posts
^^ I don't think the fact of Madrid being in Europe should roll out the city, as it has nothing to do with London. In fact, Chicago has much more in common with London than Madrid. So from a non-Anglosaxon perspective London then Chicago feels very limited.

I voted for Rio. If not Rio, then Chicago. Chicago is a great city and should show the world its importance. But as for American cities, New York or San Francisco would do the best job, I would favour San Fran, though, IMO by far the most interesting city in the Americas. But every rose has a spine, earthquakes.

·
If I could be anyone...
2,551 Posts
Yea it's unlikely to be Tokyo or Madrid because of the previous hosts. I would go for Chicago as a realistic choice, or Madrid (highly unlikely).

·
Je suis tout à vous
16,526 Posts
I voted for Chicago, and not because im from the U.S. but i think that Chicago is going to host the Olympic Games..

·
63 Posts
^^ Apparently, if you happen to live in one the countries that's home to a finalist city, there's no way you can come to a reasonable conclusion why you believe that particular city will be chosen. "Real" votes? Lame :eek:hno:

Not everyone is caught up in nationalism.

·
Madrileñian member
13,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^ Apparently, if you happen to live in one the countries that's home to a finalist city, there's no way you can come to a reasonable conclusion why you believe that particular city will be chosen. "Real" votes? Lame :eek:hno:

Not everyone is caught up in nationalism.
Nobody can be 100% neutral, why now 50% of votes for Madrid are spanish? :lol: The spanish in the world aren't the 0'7%
The 75% votes from Chicago are of USA, coincidence?
If you won't be 100% neutral You won't vote! :) I am not 100% neutral, I won't vote because if I vote I will vote Madrid
Why In Eurovision Spain don't can vote Spain? France don't can vote France, etc.
I voted for Chicago, and not because im from the U.S. but i think that Chicago is going to host the Olympic Games..
Ah! In the spanish forum you say "I want the Olympic Games in Chicago, if it's not Chicago in Rio, I want the Olympic Games in America! Why Europe and Asia always?" (It's not with these words)
And you say that you went NYC for 2012....

:)

·
63 Posts
Nobody can be 100% neutral, why now 50% of votes for Madrid are spanish? :lol: The spanish in the world aren't the 0'7%
The 75% votes from Chicago are of USA, coincidence?
If you won't be 100% neutral You won't vote! :) I am not 100% neutral, I won't vote because if I vote I will vote Madrid
Why In Eurovision Spain don't can vote Spain? France don't can vote France, etc.
:)
I understand your point, but it's wrong to assume that someone from Japan, or USA, or Spain, or Brazil, can't make an unbiased, rational judgment regarding who they think (Not their "favorite", as you indicated) will be chosen. A vote is something personal, and there's no way to know for sure a person's motivation behind their choice.

I know it seems obvious why people vote a certain way, but in the end, you really don't know, do you?

There's a saying in English: When you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME.

In the future, please don't bother making another poll if you think it's okay to pick and choose which votes count. :)

1 - 20 of 858 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.