Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
23,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that in addition to the Olympic Bid and our 2013 hosting of the World Transplant Games, the city is now also possibly going for the 2017 World Student Games.

THE Federation of International University Sports (Fisu) has encouraged South Africa to bid for the 2017 World Student Games.

Sowetan has learnt that Fisu general secretary Eric Saintrond met the leadership of University Sport South Africa (USSA) last week to discuss the matter. Saintrond was in Durban for the International Olympic Committee conference where world leaders indicated they will support South Africa's bid for the 2020 Olympic Games.

"It is true we met the leadership of South African sports to discuss the 2017 World Student Games regarding the possibility of hosting them in Durban," Saintrond said. "We also had the opportunity to assess the facilities that can be used by Durban for the World Student Games and I must say that I was highly impressed with what I saw.

"It was my first visit to South Africa and you guys have some of the best facilities in the world, especially the Moses Mabhida Stadium and International Convention Centre.

"The South African sports leadership told us that some of the universities in Durban will also be utilised. The swimming pool in Durban will also be renovated.

"The deadline to submit the bid is May next year and we want to be the first organisation to host a multi-coded sporting event in SA," he said.

The USSA delegation that met Saintrond included its chairperson Rendani Mulaudzi and Fisu board member Malumbete Ralethe.

"We are encouraged by the support from Fisu and we are going to meet various stakeholders, including the government," Ralethe said yesterday.

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/sport/2010/12/14/world-body-backs-sa-bid-for-2017-student-games

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Nice! I hope the city decides to go for it. World Student Games is a big event and relatively high profile. Will bring in thousands of athletes and support staff to the city for at least a couple of weeks.

I am not surprised that delegation was blown away by MM stadium, surrounding precinct, and the ICC. I have similar reactions when I host international visitors.

·
23,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its probably better prep than the transplant games we having, but if we can win it, it becomes yet another significant event to add to a growing list which the city can use to substantiate its event credentials and worthiness of hosting the olympics

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
I agree.

I think we stand a reasonably good chance of getting this one, especially since FISU have personally invited and strongly encouraged Durban to apply (and publicly endorsed the city). I also think it's a very positive sign that high-level meetings have *already* taken place with national and city officials, and that FISU is very keen to have the bragging rights of being the first sporting body to host a multi-sport games in SA.

If we bag this one, I think the newly launched Youth Olympic Games (which replaced the World Youth Games) will be another major Games for the city to target. Pity this may be happenning way past my student days. I've taken part in several SASSU (basically, inter-university) tournaments, as well as provincial and national tournaments, but it's a university athlete's dream to take part in this event. Just taking part will guarantee you full University Colours (in most sports, aside from usually rugby and cricket) you get University half-colours / half-blues for representing your university at provincial level or representing your university and/or province at national level. However, representing your country guarantees full colours / full blues). Sigh!

THE Federation of International University Sports (Fisu) has encouraged South Africa to bid for the 2017 World Student Games.

...Fisu general secretary Eric Saintrond met the leadership of University Sport South Africa (USSA) last week to discuss the matter. Saintrond was in Durban for the International Olympic Committee conference where world leaders indicated they will support South Africa's bid for the 2020 Olympic Games.
I assume the underlined part was referring to world sports leaders. Either way, seems Durban's hosting of its first IOC event is really paying off! Now for the big one: the IOC Congress next year....

·
23,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the world transplant games will actually be our first major multi sport event coming up! And we have already hosted the world senior games or something a number of years back

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Yup, we hosted the IAAF-subsidised World Masters Athletics (WMA) Championships (aka World Senior Games), way back in 1997. Almost 5,800 athletes from 76 countries took part in that event (4th highest participation rate, ever; only Japan, Italy and UK had higher figures [the UK had just over 100 athletes more]; by comparison, the Games held in Puerto Rico in 2003 attracted only 2,000 athletes).

http://masterstrack.com/faq/

Seems apt that we now host the World Student Games, and someday, hopefully, the Youth Olympics.

·
23,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted in the the 2020 thread, but better here. Is it just me or does it sound like the FISU people are basically begging us to bid and appear to want to hand Durban and South Africa the 2017 event?

World body backs SA bid for 2017 Student Games

feb,28,2011 | Ramatsiyi Moholoa | 0 comments

Share Sowetan has learnt that Fisu general secretary Eric Saintrond met the leadership of University Sport South Africa (USSA) last week to discuss the matter. Saintrond was in Durban for the International Olympic Committee conference where world leaders indicated they will support South Africa's bid for the 2020 Olympic Games.

"It is true we met the leadership of South African sports to discuss the 2017 World Student Games regarding the possibility of hosting them in Durban," Saintrond said. "We also had the opportunity to assess the facilities that can be used by Durban for the World Student Games and I must say that I was highly impressed with what I saw.

"It was my first visit to South Africa and you guys have some of the best facilities in the world, especially the Moses Mabhida Stadium and International Convention Centre.

"The South African sports leadership told us that some of the universities in Durban will also be utilised. The swimming pool in Durban will also be renovated.

"The deadline to submit the bid is May next year and we want to be the first organisation to host a multi-coded sporting event in SA," he said.

The USSA delegation that met Saintrond included its chairperson Rendani Mulaudzi and Fisu board member Malumbete Ralethe.

"We are encouraged by the support from Fisu and we are going to meet various stakeholders, including the government," Ralethe said yesterday.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Brasilia, Kocaeli & Taipei City bid for 2017 World Student Games

FISU unveils candidates for 2017 Universiades

HomeNewsFISU unveils candidates for 2017 Universiades

Five cities have tabled bids to host the 2017 Universiades, the International University Sports Federation (FISU) has announced.

Almaty in Kazakhstan, which recently hosted the 2011 Asian Winter Games, will compete for the Winter Universiade alongside Trentino in Italy. Brasilia in Brazil, Kocaeli in Turkey and Taipei City in Chinese Taipei will bid for the Summer Universiade.

“FISU is pleased with the number of candidates who have come forward for hosting our major events,” said FISU secretary general and chief executive officer Eric Saintrond. “These five cities and their countries have given proof of being good organisers of big sporting events in the past and I’m confident that it will be a competitive challenge for all five candidates to bring the Universiade to their city and country.”

The National University SportsFederation of Brazil is hoping to bring the Universiade back to the country for the first time since 1963, when it was held in Porto Alegre. Taipei City has gained experience of hosting sporting events after staging the 2009 World Games in Kaohsiung. The Koceali province in Turkey is ready to host another Summer Universiade after hosting the 2005 and 2011 event in Izmir and Erzurum, respectively.
The candidate cities will participate in a workshop and observer programme during the 2011 Summer Universiade in Shenzhen, China. The FISU Evaluation Committees will undertake inspections of the cities between October and November and candidates will conduct presentations to the Committee at the meeting in Lausanne before the events are awarded.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts