Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would go ahead and create a separate thread regarding this matter, including a link to the Tampa Heights Association website - which has a file of the referendum petition for you to download, fill out, and send.

A grassroots effort is underway to try and make massive improvements to how we all get around Hillsborough County, from fixing the roads to the bus system and more.

The group is called All for Transportation and they want voters to decide on raising the sales tax to pay for road and transit improvements.

The plan would increase sales tax in Hillsborough County by one cent for every dollar spent.

Instead of waiting for county and city leaders to push the issue of a transportation fix, Tyler Hudson is leading a group of citizens who are ready to do it themselves.

“I think it really indicates how frustrated people are with the status quo: the status quo that just costs too much,” said Hudson.
https://tampaheights.org/

Here, we SSCers can discuss the progress of the effort and what might become of the overall transportation crisis in Hillsborough and region-wide if the measure gets onto the ballot.

Have a question? Our member kmthurman is involved in the process and you can reach out to him.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
So they reached the threshold for signatures but they apparently have to also get a nearly equal amount of signatures from districts represented by county commissioners. They've reached their goal in Tampa and northern Hillsborough but are still working on east county.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
This is our best chance yet. I still prefer that the vote be held during a presidential election when voter turnout is at it's strongest but I think that the midterms this year are going to be much higher than average which works out well for pro-transit voters.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I would have liked to have seen a map of the districts where it was supported and not supported to get a better understanding, but I was surprised that it was favorable in the S County more than S Tampa to Odessa (which I assume includes TNC and Westchase?).

The only issues I have with this are-1. Will development planning be changed to more transit oriented, or will we still be stuck with the same cheap, strip malls and subdivision planning that exacerbates this mess in the first place. 2, With school funding such a mess I would have preferred the 1% to be split either 50/50 or even 25 schools/75 transportation. If this passes schools are still stuck without a funding option that has helped other counties.

All that said, if this is truly the "blue wave" that is expected this November, this is probably the best chance to get this passed. And for the people that think anything the government spends money on is a waste and that want tiny government, move to Dixie county!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
what I don't understand is how is our money allocated now?

I was reading some of the articles and cities/ counties within the same tax brackets as us were spending double the amount on transportation.

As far as schools vs transportation my guess is that the people that pulled together the transit referendum had no idea about the school funding.. I didn't start hearing about that until recently.
I'll be the first to say that I don't care if my taxes go up to 9% as long as it means transportation and schools are being taken care of.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
what I don't understand is how is our money allocated now?

I was reading some of the articles and cities/ counties within the same tax brackets as us were spending double the amount on transportation.

As far as schools vs transportation my guess is that the people that pulled together the transit referendum had no idea about the school funding.. I didn't start hearing about that until recently.
I'll be the first to say that I don't care if my taxes go up to 9% as long as it means transportation and schools are being taken care of.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I read an article today in the TBBJ, which has a poll of over a thousand respondents asking how they would vote on the referendum:
68% - No
30% - Yes
2% - Unsure
That is definitely not good, which is disappointing.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
I read an article today in the TBBJ, which has a poll of over a thousand respondents asking how they would vote on the referendum:
68% - No
30% - Yes
2% - Unsure
Online polls like that are routinely trolled these days.

I literally can't remember all of the TBBJ polls I've personally set up to have trolled.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
I would have liked to have seen a map of the districts where it was supported and not supported to get a better understanding, but I was surprised that it was favorable in the S County more than S Tampa to Odessa (which I assume includes TNC and Westchase?).
It's really not relevant. The petition gatherers were very targeted in their approach to ensure the signatures were gathered in just 4 weeks. The two districts they got the most signatures from are a direct result of the regulatory requirements to get a charter amendment on the ballot via petition. You have to get at least 8% in 2 districts. So that's exactly what they did, making sure to get just enough signatures to ensure typical throw-out rates would still net at least 49,000 confirmed signatures (8%) of registered Hillsborough voters. They went over by less than 5%, indicating that almost every signature they got is where they needed it from.

·
Registered
52 Posts
TBBJ readers are older and more conservative than the overall population, so any poll from that site is going to lean toward "no". Still, those margins are disconcerting and make me nervous about November.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
68% - No
30% - Yes
2% - Unsure
All that poll says is that 68% of TBBJ readers would vote no. Hardly an indication of what the population at large would vote.
The columnist at the TBBJ know this too but it's click bait and lazy writing.
I can't find a version of the poll that's not behind a pay wall but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even bother to break down the demographics of the voters etc.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nashville had a transit vote recently that got smashed by a similar margin. Of course, the mayor of the city was rocked with scandal when the vote went down so...
Yeah, the mayoral scandal definitely made things worse, but also I think that the involvement of Americans for Prosperity helped sink the measure too.

Which I've been fearing might wind up being the case here, that Karen Jaroch gets AFP involved and the measure sinks before Nov. I sure hope not.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I personally would have higher hopes for this passing if they were looking at a half cent instead of a full penny. 45% going to HART is too much based on what peoples perceptions of the agency are now. I think we're at the point now that our best bet for rail is to keep expanding the existing streetcar and convert it into a quicker rail system instead of the slow, time consuming streetcar we currently have. Otherwise I don't think anything is ever going to happen. Unfortunately Uber is pulling people away from transit so there aren't even positive numbers from other cities the last few years that look favorable for building a rail network. Tampa is still not a congested city except for a handful of events and driving is not inconvenient enough to get people out of cars.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.