Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Around this time of year, we always see posts about our wish lists for the new year and the projects that we are looking forward to the most. I thought it might be fun to begin the year by cataloging the projects that are planned for 2018, so that we can track them and keep tabs throughout the year on how we're doing and how things have progressed since the start of the year.

This list includes projects with planned start dates in 2018.

The list does not include: projects that are currently under construction; projects with no estimated construction timeline; projects that are past their planned start date where no updated start date has been given.

I suspect the list is far from complete, so if you think of anything else, let me know and I'll add it to the list. You can use your judgment on whether a project is significant enough to mention, but my measure for residential projects was >20 units.

---------

PROJECTS WITH PLANNED 2018 START DATES

2001 Aliceanna Street – 300 apartments/condos – fall 2018

3400 Boston Street – 244 apartments – “first quarter of 2018”

Eager Square – 221 apartments, 31 townhomes – “summer or fall” of 2018

425 North Howard Street – 50 apartments – March 2018

1000 South Linwood Ave. – 24 apartments – spring 2018

501 N. Calvert Street (Baltimore Sun Building) – mixed-use – "break ground in 18 months at the latest" (from Aug. 2017)

Harbor Hill Expansion - 70 apartments - May 2018

Four Ten Lofts – 78 apartments – "could break ground by the end of the year."

Tru Hotel – 140-key hotel – October 2018

S-1 (Somerset Homes Redevelopment) – 104 apartments – November or December 2018

S-2 (Somerset Homes Redevelopment) – 197 apartments – November or December 2018

Merritt Tower – 200,000 sq.ft. office – "this year" 2018

Towson Row – mixed-use (1.2 million sq.ft.) – mid-2018

---------

PROJECTS THAT BROKE GROUND IN 2018

1100 Key Highway – 224 apartments – Broke ground in late 2017, groundbreaking ceremony in January 2018

L on Liberty – 71 apartments – Groundbreaking ceremony in December 2017, work began January 2018

9 East Mount Royal Ave. – 64 apartments – Broke ground in February 2018

Flats at Eutaw Place - 62 apartments - Broke ground in March 2018, as projected.

Yard 56 Phase 1 – mixed-use (150k sq.ft. retail) - broke ground ahead of schedule in the first half of 2018

Hilton Garden Inn – 151-key hotel – broke ground in May 2018, ahead of schedule

801 Eastern Ave – 385 apartments – broke ground in May 2018

Wills Wharf – 156-key hotel, 236,000 sq.ft. office space – broke ground in June 2018

Wheelhouse (1100 S. Charles Street) – 29 apartments – Construction began July 2018

Alta Brewers Hill – 371 apartments – Construction began August 2018

Paca House – 106 veterans housing units – scheduled for May 2018, broke ground July 2018

The Hendler – 296 apartments – Construction began August 2018

The Woodberry (2001 Cold Spring Lane) – 284 apartments – scheduled for first half of 2018; broke ground in August 2018 following resolution of the BCFD fire code issue

109 W. Lexington Street – 20 apartments – Construction began October 2018

·
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for creating this thread. I like being able to find a one-stop shop to see all the designs of projects and their current status.
I'm working on updating the original post in the Baltimore Development News thread, which lists all the projects (it's a huge undertaking), but I thought it would be nice to have something that shows projects that we (theoretically) can expect to break ground in the coming year.

The list of projects that are delayed and past due or that have no firm start date is becoming longer and longer and harder to keep track of. But there are at least a few where the developers have some confidence to at least offer an anticipated start date.

·
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only the Della Notte tower will be seen on the skyline.

Maybe we will get lucky and 325 W Baltimore will finally get going, but I'm not holding my breath...
I agree. When you lay it all out, it does look that way. Certainly, 2018 does stand to have its share of significant projects, they just won't necessarily be seen on the skyline.

One project (or set of projects) that I'm looking forward to in 2018 that won't be seen on the skyline are the Pratt Street bumpouts. They're not included in the list because they don't have firm start dates, but my best guess is that they'll get started in 2018. There are three bumpouts and streetscape renovation that was just unveiled at the last UDARP meeting that will stand to make a big difference. Together, they will activate essentially all but one of the blocks between the convention center and the inner harbor. It could be huge and it could be a nice narrative for the city if they land some good retail options.

But as far as skyscrapers, let's hope that 2018 is the year that we see some concrete progress on the Cordish tower, Questar2, the taller projects in Harbor Point, and maybe even 300 E. Pratt. We probably won't see any construction on any of those, but if we could start to see firm proposals, it would be nice progress.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Don't know if it will break ground, but Wills Wharf was originally supposed to deliver in 2018 (which is obviously impossible now). It's a 12-story building with 225,000 SF of office space, a 156-room Canopy by Hilton hotel and 3,000 SF of retail space.

My guess is that Beatty is unwilling to build it speculatively and is still searching for an anchor tenant. As soon as they sign one I would expect it to break ground as fast as they can secure permits.

·
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I updated the original post to include the Harbor Hill Expansion with an estimated start date of May 2018.

I also added a second list to track the projects that have actually started in 2018. I included two thus far that have ambiguous "start dates." Neither one of them had a previously stated 2018 start date.

·
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Updated to include Four Ten Lofts as a project planned for 2018 and to include 9 East Mount Royal Ave. as a project that broke ground in 2018. 9 E Mount Royal had been scheduled to break ground in summer 2017.

·
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I updated the original post to show a few more projects that have been given estimated start dates. I also updated the list of projects that have broken ground this year to include the Flats at Eutaw Place.

I am guessing that the next projects that we will add to the list of developers under construction will be either the Della Notte Tower or the Hendler.

·
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We're approaching the end of the first six months of the year. Have I missed anything in either of the above lists? I've seen some news that Wheelhouse is now under construction, but I thought I also saw a recent foto showing that the site prep had not yet started. If anyone can clarify, that would be great.

By my count, we've had just over 800 multi-family units break ground this year and just over 300 hotel rooms.

I suspect the Hendler or the Woodberry may be the next big project to break ground. Either one of those would take us over 1,000 residential units for the year. Beyond that, I'm still optimistic about Eager Square. The others seem less certain. We haven't heard anything about 3400 Boston Street or 2001 Aliceanna, and the S-1/S-2 projects at the Somerset Homes could easily slip to next year.

I think we may see the Merritt tower in Canton start construction this year as well.

·
Brian
2,234 Posts
We're approaching the end of the first six months of the year. Have I missed anything in either of the above lists? I've seen some news that Wheelhouse is now under construction, but I thought I also saw a recent foto showing that the site prep had not yet started. If anyone can clarify, that would be great.

By my count, we've had just over 800 multi-family units break ground this year and just over 300 hotel rooms.

I suspect the Hendler or the Woodberry may be the next big project to break ground. Either one of those would take us over 1,000 residential units for the year. Beyond that, I'm still optimistic about Eager Square. The others seem less certain. We haven't heard anything about 3400 Boston Street or 2001 Aliceanna, and the S-1/S-2 projects at the Somerset Homes could easily slip to next year.

I think we may see the Merritt tower in Canton start construction this year as well.
We have the monument realty building now schedule to begin in the fall, and the Milan apartments should be starting soon.

·
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have the monument realty building now schedule to begin in the fall, and the Milan apartments should be starting soon.
Do have something stating a fall construction start for the Monument Realty project? The article that I am looking at says an "early next year" start date.

Also, do you have anything specifying a projected construction date for the Milan site?

·
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It doesn't seem like this thread idea every really took off, but as the year comes to an end, I figured I'd give this thread somewhat of a closeout.

For the year, we recorded 1,806 new multifamily housing units that broke ground in 2018. In addition, there were 106 veterans housing units and 307 hotel rooms.

It's a bit lower than at least I was expecting, but of course, this count doesn't include rowhome constructions or smaller multifamily construction or conversion.

Among the projects that didn't break ground, the only one that surprises me is Eager Square. I thought that one would be under construction by now. The others I always thought had a good chance of slipping to 2019. Next year looks like it could be at least as good as this year, assuming the economy stays strong enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts