SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all, as we approach the end of 2018 I think its fair to say we have had a fairly steady year with good areas of growth especially around Paddington Village and Princess Dock now starting to take shape.

Personally I think we are starting to see decent massing around the 8 - 14 floor category which adds bulk to the city centre. Realistically what do you think we can expect from 2019? I think we will see;

Infinity make a solid start in the new year.
The Hive on Princess Dock.
New hotel on Princess Dock.
New cruise liner terminal and IoM ferry terminal.
Potentially a few more plots on LW opening up as the footprint starts heading north.
I would like to see something happening with the stalled plots on Pall Mall.
The New China Town should see action along with developments along Parliament street going into the Baltic Triangle.
Plans submitted for Everton's new ground at BMD.

What I would like to see happen but have no idea if they will would be the long awaited Queens Dock towers many on here seem to have inside info on but are sworn to secrecy.
Plans for the Norton Scrap site and some form of resolution regarding HS2/NPR.

Anymore for anymore?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
The three key projects in the next year are the Littlewoods Studios, Pall Mall offices and Everton’s stadium. Also on the wish list......Further new additions to Paddington , more creative space in the Baltic, a start date for Peels new office development at Princes Dock further projects on LW. A national commitment to NPR/HS2 link to Liverpool. Above all we must improve our record on inward investment. I also expect Joe to lose his post as mayor and the council to revert back to a traditional leader model .

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
A great idea for a thread. I've edited the title to include any thoughts, musings, or other comments members might like to share on how we did in 2018, as well as hopes for 2019. :)

For me -

2018 - The Good
- Paddington Village - This has really kicked into gear this year.
- Pall Mall Exchange - I know it's still up in the air, but its nonetheless good to finally see a large office development being pitched.
- The Cruise Liner Terminal - Good progress this year on the terminal and its ancillary facilities working towards the planning applications.
- Princes Dock Talls - After over a decade of waiting, them finally getting to site.
- The Giants - I came home on that Sunday evening, and I've genuinely never felt prouder of my city that we pulled off such a spectacle. Certainly in this country we are the gold standard of how to stage mass participation public events.

2018 - In The Middle
- The New Royal. The Carrilion collapse was the worst thing that an already behind schedule development needed. But a return to site in recent weeks is welcome.

2018 - The Less Good
- Sir Ken Dodd - Speaks for itself really.
- The Littlewoods Building Fire - How anyone could torch such a magnificent building (well any building really, but you know what I mean) is beyond me.
- Channel 4 - Disappointing we weren't deemed worthy to make either shortlist.
- NIMBY's - Pall Mall, Parliament Street, Copperas Hill and others. No-one wants a concrete jungle, but please pick your battles.

- More news on Paddington Village North and South. PV Central is progressing nicely, so it would be good to see things starting to get firmed up on the next phases.
- Elliot. While others promise everything and deliver nothing, he gets on with it, so more please.
- The former MSCP site at Kings Dock. A large site in a prominent location. It needs filling, so I'd hope to hear more on that.
- I'd like to see a number of developments stuck in the pipeline finally make it to site.
- An Everton FC Stadium planning application.
- A commitment to HS2/NPR or whatever that will deliver captive high speed rail into Liverpool, and by extension more details on the oft-suggested new city centre terminal.
- Festival Gardens. It wouldn't open in 2019, but this huge indoor waterpark sounds intriguing, and would be extremely useful in terms of getting people into the city, so I'd like to see more progress on this.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,657 Posts
Lots of positives to take from this year for me.

- The speed at which Paddington Village has developed from the time it was announced has been breathtaking in my opinion. I'm expecting that to continue throughout the year with more to come.

- The North Western Hotel finally being turned into a hotel, it's obviously what it was built for and it's great it's being returned to its original use.

- Liverpool Waters finally getting going, there's about 1,900 apartments proposed or on site now. This year will see it linked to the city and the start of the Cruise Liner Terminal and the IOM Ferry Terminal. Hopefully we'll hear of more soon. I couldn't have asked for more this year.

- Shakespeare North getting readied for a new year start, I may not use it myself but schools and colleges will be drawn to the region so I can't ask for more there either.

- New Everton Stadium progressing, we should see momentum with this in the new year, it's so important to the city this one in terms of momentum.

- The Police HQ confirming its move, it's going to free up a really great site on the waterfront, something for the future.

- 21 Strand Street, we got rid of the dolls house, that in itself was great news, it's good seeing this site being developed at pace too.

- Elliot buys the site next to Infinity and by the sounds of it, we'll see another interesting proposal for him there. Also I'm expecting a lot more from him in addition to this.

- Infinity getting going, let's hope it's developed like the Address, very quickly.

- The Halton Curve, good to see it finally get going. A new station at Maghull and a new fleet of trains to come.

- Wirral Waters finally showing signs of life.

- News of potential bridges joining up the waterfront.

Hopes for 2019.

- The film studios starts.

- The Lime Street public realm gets going.

- News on The ABC and we see some real plans.

- Interest shown in creating a waterpark at Festival Gardens.

- Loads of the other stuff in the pipeline happens with many more additions.

- Elliot steps up his efforts.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Lots of positives to take from this year for me.

- The speed at which Paddington Village has developed from the time it was announced has been breathtaking in my opinion. I'm expecting that to continue throughout the year with more to come.

- The North Western Hotel finally being turned into a hotel, it's obviously what it was built for and it's great it's being returned to its original use.

- Liverpool Waters finally getting going, there's about 1,900 apartments proposed or on site now. This year will see it linked to the city and the start of the Cruise Liner Terminal and the IOM Ferry Terminal. Hopefully we'll hear of more soon. I couldn't have asked for more this year.

- Shakespeare North getting readied for a new year start, I may not use it myself but schools and colleges will be drawn to the region so I can't ask for more there either.

- New Everton Stadium progressing, we should see momentum with this in the new year, it's so important to the city this one in terms of momentum.

- The Police HQ confirming its move, it's going to free up a really great site on the waterfront, something for the future.

- 21 Strand Street, we got rid of the dolls house, that in itself was great news, it's good seeing this site being developed at pace too.

- Elliot buys the site next to Infinity and by the sounds of it, we'll see another interesting proposal for him there. Also I'm expecting a lot more from him in addition to this.

- Infinity getting going, let's hope it's developed like the Address, very quickly.

- The Halton Curve, good to see it finally get going. A new station at Maghull and a new fleet of trains to come.

- Wirral Waters finally showing signs of life.

- News of potential bridges joining up the waterfront.

Hopes for 2019.

- The film studios starts.

- The Lime Street public realm gets going.

- News on The ABC and we see some real plans.

- Interest shown in creating a waterpark at Festival Gardens.

- Loads of the other stuff in the pipeline happens with many more additions.

- Elliot steps up his efforts.
And Elliot Lawless to be awarded the Freedom of the City . . . or perhaps we should wait until Infinity and Pall Mall are fully developed ?

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Let’s hope we get a wider ranging and more solid series of national developers on the scene.

Nice to see Elliot doing well but let’s not forget the enthusiasm for Signature living before they started showing signs they where out of their depth.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Thanks as always to all of you who go out and about to provide the photographic evidence for foreigners like me of how things are changing. :cheers:

2018 has been a relatively good year for Liverpool. Though I've been in the area on 3 occasions this year for family reasons, I only got to the centre on a visit in June and was very impressed with the number of cranes on the skyline and the way in which the streetscape is evolving. There are three new talls on the skyline for the first time in a decade when I go down to Woodside (Horizon Heights, X1 Tower and further south the unfinished Herculaneum Tower).

Other than counting cranes on the skyline maybe we should also count the number of surface car parks and empty sites (like the corner of the Strand and James Street) as a means test of how things are going.

Also there are too many stalled and slow schemes (where obviously there are funding issues) but the general trend is positive with developers like Elliot, YPG and Romal having the vision to create a living culture within the new inner city areas.

I'm still worried by the lack of investment in quality office developments to create and maintain white collar jobs for the people who live in these areas. Pall Mall is an urgent requirement in my book and may help to redevelop the area between Tithebarn and Dale Streets which is tatty. People mentioned Victoria Street but Tithebarn Street is worse, thankfully Dale Street is on the mend.

With the stimulus of the year of culture and the huge Grosvenor investment, the city redeveloped much of it's core. What has happened since is that the city centre has started to grow out of it's perceived dimensions (a northern boundary of Leeds Street/Islington, an eastern boundary of Low Hill and Grove Road and a southern boundary of Parliament Street). Its now starting to grow up the Waterloo Road, Scotland Road, St Anne's Street to the north, Paddington Village will link it to Edge Hill and developments down Sefton Street will help to link it down towards the old Festival site. Now I'd like it to grow west across the river into Birkenhead there is so much potential and ithas the advantage that it is outside the World Heritage area.

Obviously certain things will have an impact on the LCR in 2019, much of it outside the scope of local government e.g. the impact of Brexit and rail network issues but there needs to be a more united front from the different metropolitan areas in getting more homogeneous metropolitan area. I'm sorry to harp on about it but a direct rail link into the airport is a must for me particularly for people who need an alternative to road tolls.

In 2019 I look forward to seeing the evolution of Princes Dock and Waterloo dock area of Liverpool Waters, of Islington, Paddington Village, the rise of Lexington, Infinity, the Address and the Spine and hopefully the developments planned for the Lower Parliament Street area of the Baltic Quarter.

Happy New Year to all members of this forum.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My overwhelming thought about 2018 in liverpool is `did anything happen`? It wasnt a bad year, and plenty of things happened, but none of it was particularly new different from the previous year, or indeed the few years before that.......

It seemed a dull year with nothing of note from the increasingly overmilked cow that is the Council events department or whatever the public events people call themselves-we all know Joe Anderson is nothing but an overpaid event planner, but even so, how many times can he flog the dead horse of a few oversized puppets bringing traffic mayhem to Liverpool for 3 days. The only difference this time was the traffic mayhem was shared with the Wirral-how nice. I enjoyed the first visit of the Giants and made a point of visiting. I noted with interest the second time and accepted the chaos on the trains as all worth it for a popular event. This time i made a point of staying away from town for the duration.

Time to move on and stop phoning in the public events.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The puppets are fun (especially for kiddies far too young to remember the first giant puppet back in 2008) but are getting very old. The striking thing for me is that the puppets started in Capital of Culture year and more than a decade later, like a washed out 80s teeny pop band at the Reflex festival, all Joe Anderson can think of doing is rolling out the same old hits yet again, hits that came out when the original band members were performing. Remember that Anderson was not in charge during the ECoC bid nor its successful duration during 2008 and did his best to attack and undermine it, deliberately creating bad publicity in advance of it in the London media by running off to them to badmouth it. Now after a decade its success and his subsequent and predictably unsuccessful leadership, all he can think of doing its repeating its achievements with ever decreasing returns.

LCC's 2018 faded facsimile of Liverpool's last success, something that happened before the current council took it over, was an embarrassment but neatly sums up what has happened to this city in the last decade and the cynical and useless shower who are to blame for this.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
...how many times can he flog the dead horse of a few oversized puppets bringing traffic mayhem to Liverpool for 3 days. The only difference this time was the traffic mayhem was shared with the Wirral-how nice. I enjoyed the first visit of the Giants and made a point of visiting. I noted with interest the second time and accepted the chaos on the trains as all worth it for a popular event. This time i made a point of staying away from town for the duration.
Given they attracted 1.3 million people and generated a £60m economic impact, I don't think it's fair to call the Giants a dead horse. It would appear there's still loads of appeal to a lot of people. As for traffic mayhem, the routes were published weeks in advance, so avoiding those areas was easily done.

Don't get me wrong, I very much believe in each to their own. If the Giants didn't appeal, people didn't want to get caught up in large crowds, or for any other reason people chose not to go, then fair dos. But like them or not, it is surely beyond dispute they have been a huge positive for the city? I cannot stand football, but don't dispute the benefits our teams bring to the city's economy for instance. You can't like everything, but can still appreciate the value of it.

I acknowledge broadening your offer is also important, so those who aren't interested in what you currently do might be tempted by something else. Liverpool has never been a city that stands still and has always innovated, and I wouldn't want to see that change. But if you do find yourself with a successful event (not necessarily just the Giants, the River of Light, LIMF, and others), surely you'd be mad not to repeat them, and exploit the economic impact of them? New events take time to create and arrange. Not all will necessarily work out, but while that's happening, having a roster of returning events to provide a solid base to keep things ticking over is surely no bad thing?

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,657 Posts
Given they attracted 1.3 million people and generated a £60m economic impact, I don't think it's fair to call the Giants a dead horse.
Our hotels are on course for a record year too.

The way I see it is, even if locals don't go, outsiders are seeing the city at its best, and for that alone, the giants are more than welcome. With many coming here for the first time, it will change attitudes. They'll get to see the city for what it actually is instead of having their perceptions skewed through a right wing agenda driven prism.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Zanderdad's Predictions for 2019

1. A new-to-science source of unlimited energy, that only exists in the LCR will be discovered, instantly transforming Liverpool into the world's most powerful economy.

2. Joe Anderson, ousted as Major by an unholy alliance of religious Corbynistas and the cynical Nick Smalltown brigade, will out-maneouvre his opponents by unexpectedly declaring himself the Grand Sheikh of Toxteth. Lawrence Kenwright will be announced as the Crown Prince.

3. The evil plottings of The Centre For Cities will finally be foiled when Mmcd announces a plan to create a land-bridge between Liverpool and Birkenhead by freezing over the Mersey with a machine powered by the cold put-downs of his detractors. At last, we'll have a city on two banks. As a counter-measure, The Centre For Cities will declare that Leeds Street is too wide to consider any developments on its north side to be considered contiguous. Liverpool Waters and Ten Streets will be subsumed into Southport's newly expanded economic zone.

4. Mike Storey will sadly pass away. But his voice will be presumed to live on, as a ghost in the machine.

5. The unavoidable collapse of the Bramley Moore Dock stadium plans will result in a lot of soul-searching amongst Evertonians. However, the club will be welcomed with open arms to Fazakerley, where a ground share with fan-owned powerhouse, City of Liverpool FC will be announced. Expectations on capacity will however need to be managed downwards.

6. The Bixteth Gardens group will be defeated. Hurray. But a swift downturn in the global economy will put the plans for the development of office space on ice. For now.

7. The new mersey ferry will finally be commissioned, representing a real boon for shipbuilders. In Italy.

8. A remake of The Towering Inferno will be announced as the first project to be filmed in the Littlewoods Film Studios. A fitting tribute to the troubled past of the building. Sadly, an electrical fault on the first day of principal photography results in an even more fitting tribute - as the whole facility is turned to ashes.

9. Liverpool will bring home number 19 and will construct a 100-foot perch in Stanley Park to celebrate the occasion. The Liver birds will take one look at it, and in fear of the master predator that it is surely meant for, will promptly fly away. The city will fall.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
5. The unavoidable collapse of the Bramley Moore Dock stadium plans will result in a lot of soul-searching amongst Evertonians. However, the club will be welcomed with open arms to Fazakerley, where a ground share with fan-owned powerhouse, City of Liverpool FC will be announced. Expectations on capacity will however need to be managed downwards.
Not as fanciful or as implausible as it seems. With those steering the club (he who pays the piper calls the tune) by appointing managers who have proved (won) nothing and likewise a "Football Director" makes me wonder who was Alex Ferguson's "Director of Football". Rafa Benitez, a proven winner, is, with nothing in the way of player purchasing power, is closer to Silva's massively overspend Everton than Silva's Everton are to Liverpool. I think that sez it all. Why would anyone employ someone with relegation credentials when they have the means to employ those who have historic winner credentials? Shop in the dollar ($) store you get what you pay for, shop in Sak's you get what you pay for.
9. Liverpool will bring home number 19 and will construct a 100-foot perch in Stanley Park to celebrate the occasion. The Liver birds will take one look at it, and in fear of the master predator that it is surely meant for, will promptly fly away. The city will fall.
Hope you just mean Manchester City FC.;)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been thinking about this recently and heading into the realms of fantasy is there any will from political or transport leaders/Merseyrail for a dedicated rail link to the airport? I can’t help but think this would be a major mover for progress. Secondly the office space and the local politicians who try and block these developments really need task however the larger issue is the divides in the local council leadership what is crippling our growth as a city. It’s time to unlock this cities true potential but we need to sort out the internal problems before tackling the external ones.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
My overwhelming thought about 2018 in liverpool is `did anything happen`? It wasnt a bad year, and plenty of things happened, but none of it was particularly new different from the previous year, or indeed the few years before that.
It seemed a dull year with nothing of note from the increasingly overmilked cow that is the Council events department or whatever the public events people call themselves
Its been a record breaking year, maybe you should stay at home if you don't like it. Or go over to Manchester eh.

·
Registered
382 Posts
2019 dream wish list:

- EFC stadium gets sorted and starts properly rolling
- SR announces the ambition to take the bus services under MerseyTravel operation, similar intention lined up for the future of MerseyRail
- We achieve backing for HS2 and HS3
- This atrocious government is ousted
- Warrington and Cheshire denied combining as an authority as part of wider national local government review
- Joe goes and SR takes the lead nationally on all items related to the CR, which includes Liverpool
- Someone founds something to take-on the Echo

·
Registered
369 Posts
Its been a record breaking year, maybe you should stay at home if you don't like it. Or go over to Manchester eh.
Or maybe you should accept that not everyone has to enjoy what you enjoy, or be interested in a Giant Puppet show being trotted out for the 4th time because the council is struggling to find new ideas?

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,657 Posts
Or maybe you should accept that not everyone has to enjoy what you enjoy, or be interested in a Giant Puppet show being trotted out for the 4th time because the council is struggling to find new ideas?
Not getting the Commonwealth Games is still raw with you isn't it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts