SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I know a few are forced by injury, but I didn't expect NSW to make so many changes for game 2. They have a history of panic changes, but I don't think we are getting the full story, especially with Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker. And what did Josh Morris do wrong in game 1 to get dropped?

Come Sunday Freddy will either be brilliant, or a dunce.
Apparently it's a racial reason why Walker and Latrell have been dropped, because they didn't sing the anthem, no I am not joking. Gotta love Identity politics, even manifests itself into sport but obviously Josh Morris mustn't have sung the National anthem either by that reckoning.:nuts:

Massive gamble by Freddy, Trbojevic and Wighton don't play in the centres normally but they've still got a decent side but I feel Qld's firepower in their backline will be too much is our forwards can hold their own. Always worried about Cook though, he is an absolute weapon for NSW.

·
Registered
74,256 Posts
thats more like it. the Blues are back,
il put my house on winning series in sydney on jul10
probbaly should have been 38-0, i dont think should been penaylty try. no way 100% he was gonna get there. but anywho
how good were the Trobjevic boys? wow Maloney is such a requirement for the team

State of Origin: New South Wales dominates Queensland 38-6 in Perth to set up decider

Josh Addo-Carr jumps over a huddle of New South Wales Blues players as Dylan Napa stands in the foreground.
PHOTO: New South Wales dominated from start to finish in Perth. (AAP: Dave Hunt)
New South Wales has claimed a dominant, series-levelling 38-6 victory over Queensland in State of Origin game two.

Key points:
New South Wales needed to win in Perth to stay alive in the series
The Blues led 18-6 at half-time before running away in the second half
Queensland's only try was a penalty try after Will Chambers was impeded
A hat-trick from centre Tom Trbojevic and another masterful performance by James Tedesco at full-back saw the Blues put Queensland to the sword in front of 59,721 fans, a record for any match at Perth Stadium.

New South Wales' slick ball handling and dynamic outside backs blew Queensland away, with the Maroons never really in the contest and rarely threatening the Blues line.

With the series all square, the two sides will head to Sydney's Olympic Stadium for the decider on July 10, although the Blues will consider themselves clear favourites to retain the Origin shield after such a clinical performance.

NSW Blues player Tom Trbojevic's biceps bulge as he screams into a rainy night sky during State Of Origin Game Two.
PHOTO: Tom Trbojevic scored the Blues' first hat-trick since Matt King in 2005. (AAP: Darren England)
Blues coach Brad Fittler made seven changes to the side that was beaten in game one amid much criticism, but he will feel vindicated by his selections as James Maloney and Trbojevic in particular scythed Queensland apart.

The Blues got off to a perfect start when Trbojevic claimed a towering Maloney bomb over the top of Kalyn Ponga, inside the opening 10 minutes.

Queensland did not look the same fluent team that came from behind to win the series opener at Lang Park but were gifted a way back into the game on their first foray into NSW territory thanks to a penalty try.

Jack Wighton impeded the progress of opposing centre Will Chambers when the Storm centre was the sole pursuer of a Ben Hunt kick into the in-goal.

Chambers failed to ground the ball but Gerard Sutton referred up to the video referee who agreed that the centre was impeded and awarded the penalty try, allowing Queensland to pull level with the kick in front of the posts.

EMBED: State Of Origin II stats
But the parity did not last long.

Tyson Frizell regained the lead for the Blues with some exceptional hands to hold on to a Maloney pass and crash over from short range, after a bulldozing run from Daniel Saifiti put the Maroons on the back foot.

Despite having a Josh Addo-Carr try called back for a forward pass by Maloney, the Blues were still celebrating their third before half-time thanks to some Tedesco magic.

The Roosters full-back was NSW's best in game one and continued his sparkling form in Perth.

James Tedesco fends off Michael Morgan with the ball tucked under one arm
PHOTO: James Tedesco ran for 209 metres, assisting two tries from one line break. (AAP: Richard Wainwright)
Picking up the ball from dummy half, Tedesco ghosted around five seemingly static Maroons defenders before fending off Morgan and shovelling an inside pass to Trbojevic, who breezed over untouched for his second.

The Blues made three line breaks to zero in the first 40 minutes, running for 250 more metres than the Maroons in a dominant first-half display.

Trailing by 12 points at the break, Queensland would have hoped to muster the same fighting spirit that saw them overturn an eight-point deficit in game one.

But a similar fightback never looked like materialising in Perth as the Blues dominated possession to the tune of 60 per cent.

Despite Cleary failing to take the field in the second half with an ankle injury, the Blues barely missed a beat, with Maloney slotting two penalties after the restart to take the game away from the Maroons.

Josh Addo-Carr celebrates a try by clenching his biceps as James Maloney looks on
PHOTO: Josh Addo-Carr grabbed two tries of his own, running for a team-high 215 metres. (AAP: Dave Hunt)
If the decision to take a second two points was strange at that stage of the game, the Blues ensured it was a moot point moments later when Trbojevic scored his third.

Addo-Carr broke the line and offloaded to Tedesco, who got his arms free and flicked the ball out the back to Trbojevic who raced under the posts unopposed.

Addo-Carr got in on the act himself moments later, dotting down after a chip through the line by Wade Graham as the Blues ran riot, and adding a second in the final 10 minutes to add the gloss to what was a perfect night for the Blues.

Relive all the action as it unfolded in our live blog below.

·
Registered
74,256 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yep Queensland had a shocker in the West. Their worst game in about 20 years. I hope Kevvie can turn it around.

·
Registered
74,256 Posts
big match tonight.

·
WARREN
Uncle L2
8,052 Posts
What a rough and dirty match so far.

·
Banned
9,682 Posts
Well that was close! Congrats NSW!

·
Registered
74,256 Posts
awesome result well deserved to blues
tedesco is amazing

·
Registered
74,256 Posts
gonna be real interesting tonight
cant wait

·
Registered
74,256 Posts

·
Registered
74,256 Posts
im expecting big things from roosters tonight against rabbitohs.
a much better showing then last weeks game. i think a big win is on cards
go roosters!!!

·
Registered
74,256 Posts
yep i was right. should have been 50-nil. very formidable roosters were!

also GREAT to see canberra beat storm!!! best win of year

also great watching eels thrash broncos atm!!! 30-0 wohoo

·
Registered
74,256 Posts

·
Registered
74,256 Posts
ok so pointy end of season coming up
whos ya pick?

mines Raiders and Roosters!!!

·
WARREN
Uncle L2
8,052 Posts
So it's gonna be a Roosters vs Raiders Grand Final, this time next week.

Bleh. I'll go for the Roosters over the filth, but it's really nothing worth getting excited over.

·
Registered
74,256 Posts
yeh how good is he.
roosters plaid superb on sat night.
now for canberra/ well done to the raiders to make the gf. been 25 years
this will be roosters 2nd in row if they win .i think they will with friend and hargraves back in.
go the roosters!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
So umm, you were apparently born in Oldcastle. Grew up in Cronulla-Sutherland and/or the Liverpool area. Live on the Central Coast, but follow the Goosters.

Different.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts