SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
WARREN
8,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five months to go before Queensland heads to the polls on October 31st 2020.

Who will win? Will the Liberal National Party manage to overcome it's lingering stigma from the days of the Newman Government, and take back control of the state from a tired and scandal prone Labor Government, with the fresh face of Premier Deb Frecklington?

Will the absolute farce of the state border being closed until September, absolutely decimating the tourism sector, manage to also decimate Palaszczuk's re-election chances?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It looks like the Courier Mail is campaigning against the current ALP government
What are the other Queensland papers saying?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't think that border closure is a 'farce' yet. Most conservatives I have spoken to are still worried about the virus being transported in from southern states. Pauline jumped on the bandwagon of closure=bad I think expecting a similar result as the right in the US and I looking at comments, it doesn't look like it went down too well with her supporters.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I don't think that border closure is a 'farce' yet. Most conservatives I have spoken to are still worried about the virus being transported in from southern states. Pauline jumped on the bandwagon of closure=bad I think expecting a similar result as the right in the US and I looking at comments, it doesn't look like it went down too well with her supporters.
It's not just conservatives who see it as a farce.

The fact that the Qld CMO stated that schools were closed not due to health concerns but for "messaging" is a farce. After this her credibility is shot yet Palaszczuk keeps hiding behind her about the border situation, meanwhile those who have invested their livelihoods into businesses that rely on tourism are in dire straits.

I hope the CMO has undertaken a health impact study on the effects on those who own businesses.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Five months to go before Queensland heads to the polls on October 31st 2020.

Who will win? Will the Liberal National Party manage to overcome it's lingering stigma from the days of the Newman Government, and take back control of the state from a tired and scandal prone Labor Government, with the fresh face of Premier Deb Frecklington?

Will the absolute farce of the state border being closed until September, absolutely decimating the tourism sector, manage to also decimate Palaszczuk's re-election chances?
Unfortunately Frecklington just doesn't have the cut through needed.

The Coronavirus came just in time for Palaszczuk, the budget being postponed has probably saved them, it was going to be absolutely dire.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Unfortunately Frecklington just doesn't have the cut through needed.

The Coronavirus came just in time for Palaszczuk, the budget being postponed has probably saved them, it was going to be absolutely dire.
That sounds like you are making excuses brisbanite, rather than letting the LNP take personal responsibility for not wining

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Won't happen. Too much work has been done and too much money has been spent. The cost to get out of all the contracts would be massive (even more so than for something like East-West Link where work had not yet begun at the time the contracts were torn up)

Plus I think they actually support the idea of a second river crossing for the heavy rail in principle (they just didn't like the high cost of CRR Mk 1 or the fact that CRR Mk 1 did nothing for the buses, a problem that will now be solved by the Metro instead of trying to mix buses and trains the way they did with the stupid BAT plan)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
The appointment of Mike Kaisar (previously kicked out of the ALP and state parliament for electoral corruption ) as a taxpayer funded advisor to the ALP of how the ALP can retain government is not only another well paid job for a Labor mate, its the very definition of corruption to use government funds for party purposes.
It'
s as though with Trad on the back bench there is a vacuum for a corrupt player in the Palaszczuk government that can only be filled by another corrupt player.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I think Deb will make a fine Premier. It would be hard for any opposition leader to get in the news at present with all that is going on. Once we switch into election mode and she gets to do debates, etc with Anna P, then the voters will get to know her a little better and probably feel comfortable with her. I've met her a few times and she is very charming.

·
WARREN
8,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Looks like people are starting to see the light, even though it took the decimiation of a major sector of the state's economy (tourism) for it to get to this point.

With a 32% primary vote, Palaszczuk ain't getting back as anything other than the Member for Inala. And I thought that seat was going to be gifted to Jackie Trad anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
A freeze of state public service pay rises, as announced by Anna P to Karl on the morning show, might happen. But looking at the fine print, it is actually a deferred pay rise. Instead of 2.5 % this year and next year, it's a promise of 5% next year. Allowing the present government to have more money to spend this year, and to put the cost onto whoever wins the election.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think Deb will make a fine Premier. It would be hard for any opposition leader to get in the news at present with all that is going on. Once we switch into election mode and she gets to do debates, etc with Anna P, then the voters will get to know her a little better and probably feel comfortable with her. I've met her a few times and she is very charming.
Hopefully then she will be nothing like Campbell Newman and Joh Bjelke-Petersen.

·
Registered
939 Posts
A freeze of state public service pay rises, as announced by Anna P to Karl on the morning show, might happen. But looking at the fine print, it is actually a deferred pay rise. Instead of 2.5 % this year and next year, it's a promise of 5% next year. Allowing the present government to have more money to spend this year, and to put the cost onto whoever wins the election.
That’s like Jacinda Aderns pay cut to NZ politicians. The spin was it’s a 20% pay cut. But that’s for 6 months. So essentially it’s a 10% annual pay cut. But 20% sounds much nicer in the headline.

·
Banned
9,682 Posts
The question I have is, does the electorate at large support the continued border closure or not?
There was a poll in the Bulletin on 22 May that was split almost exactly 50/50 on whether it should be open.

But that's 3 weeks ago almost, given time and recent events I'd say the support to keep it close would have eroded somewhat.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts