Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 389 Posts

·
12,487 Posts
Thanks for the effort, Laurence. I wonder if the title/objective should be altered to simply Possible World Cup Hosts, for considerations beyond just 2022?

Anyway, as a launching pad here is the list of previous hosts:

1930 Uruguay
1934 Italy
1938 France
1950 Brazil
1954 Switzerland
1958 Sweden
1962 Chile
1966 England
1970 Mexico
1974 West Germany
1978 Argentina
1982 Spain
1986 Mexico
1990 Italy
1994 USA
1998 France
2002 Korea/Japan
2006 Germany
2010 RSA
2014 Brazil
2018 Russia
2022 Qatar

The nations that have hosted twice:

Italy
France
Brazil
Mexico
Germany

And the number of events held outside Europe:

5 South America
3 North America
1 Asia
1 Africa

·
12,487 Posts
When I have time I'll look into the formal stadium requirements and then we should look at how each nation compares to those standards. I'm guessing that it's a very realistic and short list of nations capable of hosting without needing undue concessions (Qatar) or a partner (Netherlands/Belgium). I'm not saying those should be discounted outright, but it would be interesting to see exactly how many could do the job and how many would need serious work.

It's entirely possible we come up with a list of some 20 nations capable of hosting, in which case we could be looking at rotations that mean the likes of Germany and France won't host again for some 50+ years!

·
Registered
19,723 Posts
China and Australia to me stand out as the most conspicuous countries never to have hosted a World Cup, but being perfectly capable of doing so.

Other potential nations that could host in the 2020's would be Thailand and Malaysia (jointly?) or Malaysia/Indonesia (jointly), Turkey, Colombia (maybe jointly with Venezuela or Peru).

Later on, maybe in the 2030s, India could be a host.

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Other potential nations that could host in the 2020's would be Thailand and Malaysia (jointly?) or Malaysia/Indonesia (jointly), Turkey, Colombia (maybe jointly with Venezuela or Peru).

Later on, maybe in the 2030s, India could be a host.
None of those countries (except for Turkey) have any chance at a World Cup. If they went to Asia there is only three realistic options: China, Australia or Japan.

I said it before, the best thing for China is for the US to get the WC in 2022. That way Asia would be next in line and it comes down to them and Australia for the 2026 WC.

The 2030 World Cup is interesting. Would they go back to Europe for a Spain/Portugal or Netherlands/Belgium? What about Italy? In the next ten years they should have new stadiums built by Milan, Inter, Roma and Napoli. Is there any chance Uruguay (1930 Centennial celebration) could do a joint bid with Argentina?

·
Rekordvizemeister
2,303 Posts
The 2030 World Cup is interesting. Would they go back to Europe for a Spain/Portugal or Netherlands/Belgium? What about Italy? In the next ten years they should have new stadiums built by Milan, Inter, Roma and Napoli. Is there any chance Uruguay (1930 Centennial celebration) could do a joint bid with Argentina?

This WC will go back to Europe, if the 2026 edition will be in Asia/Australia!
The centennial World Cup should go to the home of football!

·
Registered Abuser
540 Posts
The centennial in Argentina/Uruguay would be great too. 5-6 stadiums for each country with the final back in Montevideo 100 years on from the first tournament.
Argentina would never accept not to have the final.
It's more likely that they bid alone for 2034 if Uruguay insist on staging the final.

·
Registered
18,253 Posts
Argentina would never accept not to have the final.
It's more likely that they bid alone for 2034 if Uruguay insist on staging the final.
I don't agree. The final will be in Montevideo, at Centenário Stadium. That's the whole point of it and Argentines know that.

I just think it will be more like 2-3 venues at Uruguay and 8-9 at Argentina.

·
Registered Abuser
540 Posts
I don't agree. The final will be in Montevideo, at Centenário Stadium. That's the whole point of it and Argentines know that.

I just think it will be more like 2-3 venues at Uruguay and 8-9 at Argentina.

The whole point of it is: why should Argentina have a co-host and abdicate the final when they can have the final and the whole tournament just four years later.

Like GEwinnen already said. If USA should get the WC from Qatar, it will go to Asia next and then most likely to England (which is by the way the best choice for the Centennial imo).

So 2034 would be South America's turn again.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Potential Australian Bid

No upgrades required

Stadium Australia (Olympic Park, Sydney) 84,000
City Population: 4,800,000

Melbourne Cricket Ground 100,024
City Population: 4,350,000

Lang Park (Brisbane) 52,500
City Population: 2,240,000

Adelaide Oval 53,500
City Population: 1,830,000

Under construction/renovation or planned construction/renovation

Hunter Stadium (Newcastle) 33,000 to 40,000
Grass ends under preparation to convert to two new stands.
City Population: 310,000 (Greater Newcastle 540,000)

Sydney Football Stadium 45,500
Upgrade of facilities and new roof to fully enclose ground.
City Population: 4,800,000

New Perth Stadium 60,000
Site prep finished, construction starts later this year
(Image is indicative only, no designs made public yet)
City Population: 1,970,000

Carrara Stadium (Gold Coast) 25,000 to 40,000
Being renovated for the 2018 Commonwealth Games
City Population: 590,000

Canberra 30,000
Currently under planning, plans involve the stadium to be easily expanded an extra 15,000 seats if Australia is awarded 2022 World Cup.
(Image was the proposed World Cup stadium from the bid)
City Population: 380,000

Possible New Stadiums/renovations from the original bid.

Geelong 44,000 Renovation

City Population: 215,000

Townsville 40,000 Renovation
City Population: 190,000

Blacktown Stadium (outer suburb of Sydney 34km from Centre) 41,000 New Stadium
City Population: 4,800,000 (City of Blacktown 300,000)

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Australia hosted the 2000 Olympic Games...
The outgoing president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Juan Antonio Samaranch declared to the host nation, ‘I am proud and happy to proclaim that you have presented to the world the best Olympic Games ever.’ ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'd like to see in Australia/NZ: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Adelaide, Hobart, Auckland, Wellington.

About my country I think 2026 or 2030 edition, with new stadiums and redevelopment of old ones.
Joint bid doesn't make sense:

• Not needed, Australia is big enough on its own
  • The distances to cover, especially Perth to NZ
  • They are in different confederations

·
Illuminati Leader
6,057 Posts
I don't get why this thread is open. If they take it away from Qatar they will give it a country that already has a plan in place for the 2022 World Cup and has the venues or can deliver by 2022. There's only 4 countries who can deliver (Australia, Japan, South Korea, and the United States of America). Japan and South Korea recently hosted and Australia's bid for 2022 came in dead last of the official candidates (it got 1 delegate out of 22 and was promptly eliminated). I think the US is the likeliest bet but if push comes to shove they'll probably bite their tongue and pick Australia (especially with Japan now hosting the Tokyo Olympics in 2020). If Australia wants the WC, they should revamp their plan. Getting 1 out of 22 delegates isn't a sign of support. Spain/Portugal could be a wild card though given their 2nd place finish for 2018 and the fact that nearly all of the infrastructure is in place.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I don't get why this thread is open. If they take it away from Qatar they will give it a country that already has a plan in place for the 2022 World Cup and has the venues or can deliver by 2022. There's only 4 countries who can deliver (Australia, Japan, South Korea, and the United States of America). Japan and South Korea recently hosted and Australia's bid for 2022 came in dead last of the official candidates (it got 1 delegate out of 22 and was promptly eliminated). I think the US is the likeliest bet but if push comes to shove they'll probably bite their tongue and pick Australia (especially with Japan now hosting the Tokyo Olympics in 2020). If Australia wants the WC, they should revamp their plan. Getting 1 out of 22 delegates isn't a sign of support. Spain/Portugal could be a wild card though given their 2nd place finish for 2018 and the fact that nearly all of the infrastructure is in place.
The whole bidding process was flawed though. You couldn't award it to second place in a tainted vote as it wouldn't be a true reflection of the vote. Many of those Qatar votes would have gone towards Asian votes if Qatar wasn't involved. Also strategic voting is done to knock out rival bids earlier, the pattern of which can be seen when you look at the rounds of voting.

We also had the situation of having two world cups awarded at once, which openly invited vote swapping, a good example of this was the US and England openly voting for each other. That straight away disadvantaged Australia and South Korea for instance, because we had no member on the Executive Committee to offer a vote in return for one.

Saying all that the US bid was still the strongest and probably still is and is by far the safest options for FIFA. Also add in it's a safe, stable and great country and has all the corporate $$.

1 - 20 of 389 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.