SkyscraperCity banner

Which city do you think should host the 2024 Olympic Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
18,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New thread and new poll!

IOC Confirms Receipt of Five 2024 Olympic Bids; Releases Key Documents
http://gamesbids.com/eng/featured/i...ive-2024-olympic-bids-releases-key-documents/

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced from its headquarters in Lausanne Wednesday that it received nomination letters from five cities hoping to host the Olympic Games in 2024. Budapest, Hamburg, Los Angeles, Paris and Rome. The organization also announced that the successful candidate would receive USD $1.7 billion towards organizing the Games.

“We are welcoming five outstanding and highly qualified Candidate Cities,” said IOC President Thomas Bach.

A new “invitation stage” where potential bids were asked to discuss their plans with the IOC before moving forward lasted almost nine months, now another new bid stage begins. Bid teams will be expected to submit plans around the themes “Vision, Games Concept and Legacy” before May 2016.

The IOC also released a package of critical documents for the 2024 race, completely revised to comply with IOC Agenda 2020. The documents – Candidature Process Olympic Games 2024, Candidature Questionnaire Olympic Games 2024, Host City Contract Principles, and Host City Contract Operational Requirements are immediately available online.

Download IOC 2024 Bid Documents

Candidature Process Olympic Games 2024
Candidature Questionnaire Olympic Games 2024
Host City Contract Principles
Host City Contract Operational Requirements

·
21,797 Posts
So countries like Australia, Brazil, Canada, Russia are not able to host Olympic games. BTW, France total GDP is 2,8 trillion dollars. Italy total GDP is 2,1 trillion dollars.

Rome like Paris is a world tourist destination.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
B-class cities should host minor events, as mediterránean games etc..When you have an event with the creme de la creme of the athletes of the whole world taking part, you need to open your best and most spectacular stage for them, not your backyard...
Yes you're right but I think that French mind (always Paris) stifle other french cities with a lot of potential (I don't speak of my town in particular). Yes they have to start with minor events but even minor events fail. I have exaggerated for the JO but I think I'm right on the content. But that's not the good section to talk about it I will have some disagreements.

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
18,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
B-class cities should host minor events, as mediterránean games etc..When you have an event with the creme de la creme of the athletes of the whole world taking part, you need to open your best and most spectacular stage for them, not your backyard...
Exactly. France has to go with Paris to have a real shot at winning.

Similarly, the UK was told 'come back with London', after failed bids from Manchester and Birmingham.

In highly centralised countries with one dominant city I think putting any other city forward puts you at a disadvantage. More federal countries like Germany and the US have a bit more leeway here. I don't think Germany bidding with Hamburg instead of Berlin is as much of a disadvantage for them. They could do ok.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Exactly. France has to go with Paris to have a real shot at winning.

Similarly, the UK was told 'come back with London', after failed bids from Manchester and Birmingham.

In highly centralised countries with one dominant city I think putting any other city forward puts you at a disadvantage. More federal countries like Germany and the US have a bit more leeway here. I don't think Germany bidding with Hamburg instead of Berlin is as much of a disadvantage for them. They could do ok.
I agree it's just frustrating to don't try and that nothing is done. But here is not the question the goal is to win. We have our little consolation if Paris wins Marseille will host the sail's trial. Don't matter get back to the topic.

·
Banned
22,918 Posts
I think that France should have stood another city than Paris with a strong project. That's my opinion.
In another world, well of course that would be great, but in the real (& nowadays) world, I fail to see that happening...as I replied to a similar post in the other thread ;):

parcdesprinces said:
Avemano said:
The IOC might say they want ecofriendly games with already built venues, they always chose the most expensive bid in global cities or capitals. They will never want Marseille or Lyon.
Since when white elephants are economically-friendly (not to mention the very important -at least according to the IOC- "heritage of the games" aspect)?

That's why IMHO cites such as Marseille or Lyon can't host the summer games anymore, because most of the venues required for the event won't be needed at all there after the games.... I mean, a 60K+ athletics stadium (i.e a second large stadium while both cities only have one big football/rugby team), a multi-court tennis center (including a 10K centre court), two (ore more) 10K+ (including a 15K+ one) indoor arenas...etc, etc, etc...etc.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
France is trying to become more federal as is the UK.
Lol it's what they tell.

In another world, well of course that would be great, but in the real (& nowadays) world, I fail to see that happening...as I replied to a similar post in the other thread :
I know that I'm a dreamer but a litlle bit of ambition can't be bad. No ? In any case thanks for your constructive answers I will come back with a fanciful project ! Lol

·
Brentered
22,438 Posts
Voted for Rome, my ex-city.

I'd really love to see the Olympic games there, not just for the games themselves, bot for the urban improvements that I hope would be made to host the Olympics.

But I think that Paris will win, since it's definately the strongest bid, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 340 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.