·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
Height: 509 ft
Floor count: 49
Construction end:
Architect: Solomon, Cordwell, Buenz and Associates
Developer: Jupiter Realty Corporation

215 West Washington will be built on the site of the former Hotel LaSalle Garage, widely believed to be the first multi-story parking garage in the US.

·
Craving density 24/7
141 Posts
Nice to see a new residential building go up in the Loop! It'll help bring the 24/7 reality to the Loop which is needed! I remember plenty of times arriving around 1 AM at Union Station off of Amtrak, leaving the lobby and walking through a deserted Loop. It was very 'end of times' feeling. Like I was the only human left in Chicago. And we need to change that!

·
muted
7,080 Posts
Not the most attractive design, but still a solid building that will fill that spot nicely. I went by the site during lunch and did see soil testing. I'll post a couple photos when I get home from work.

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's plenty attractive, but it looks much more like an office building than an apartment tower. Of course, that's probably just SCB being contextual.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
.....(I)t looks much more like an office building than an apartment tower.....
My reaction was the same - I've been thinking all of these months that it was an office building. Nice to see something tall & residential w/dark cladding again. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Demo/site prep

A notice was posted in the residences at 208 W. Washington that demolition will begin at 215 W. Washington on September 9 ( I assume they mean Monday the 10th) and continue through October 9, 2007. My assumption is that the demo work will involve the small building next to the White Hen on the Southwest corner of Wells and Washington.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As many of you probably know, the building directly west of the White Hen has been demolished. Within the last few days, two excavators have been digging up the site.

·
Loyola University
907 Posts
Any pictures?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any photos. The hole next to the White Hen was dug before the excavators got there. That was completed by the demolition crew. They are currently digging towards the southwest corner of the lot, an area that was was previously vacant. It would be towards the upper-right hand corner of the picture in post #8 in this thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A caisson crane and motor were delivered to the site this morning. The caisson drill bits and the first caisson sleeve were delivered about 30 minutes ago.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts