SkyscraperCity banner

19861 - 19880 of 19911 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Agree about "work from home fatigue". Many people I know, especially in Asian countries cannot strike balance right too, completely abandoning family life even staying at home 24/7, as their bosses know very well that they are in front of their PCs or 10 meters away from it at most, so can ask anything, anytime. No more unsocial hours for them. Just had the same conversation yesterday with my Singaporean office. They are dying to get back to the office space and draw the line between office and home.

Another discussion I had with Bloomberg employee. Many members of his team are EU citizens and they have quietly relocated back to Cyprus, France, Spain, etc, you name it, abandoning their London flats and basically not informing Bloomberg. Of course weather is better, expenses are less, etc. But bosses of Bloomberg are now furious and want everybody back to London as soon as possible for various reasons, one being residence status implications.
Who can blame them, little bit of a holiday and by the sounds of it they'll now be able to get more for their money on the rental market!

·
Registered
745 Posts
"Flat tops should be banished to North America. London is described as a city of spires and domes, it’s skyscrapers should be a reflection of that".

It's also been described as a city of pestilence and plague, not sure we should try to recreate that in the modern era. Anyway, it would look silly if you put a dome on top.

·
PoliticoJack
518 Posts
I'd love to conduct a poll of members to see whether people like or dislike this tower now. I think its turned out better than most of us imagined when the renders were first revealed. IMO its gorgeous.

·
Registered
29,962 Posts
Flat tops should be banished to North America. London is described as a city of spires and domes, it’s skyscrapers should be a reflection of that.
I don't necessarily agree or disagree, but is it really accurate to say that London is a city of spires and domes? Of course it has its spires and domes but there are endless flat-topped buildings in London including many of its older buildings from Buckingham Palace to Selfridges.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I'd love to conduct a poll of members to see whether people like or dislike this tower now. I think its turned out better than most of us imagined when the renders were first revealed. IMO its gorgeous.
Yeah, I've warmed to it a lot. It looks impressive from most angles.

·
Registered
31,621 Posts
I'm in two minds about it. It might not look as bad as I feared, actually looks quite good from one or two angles in a good light. But from many angles and view points is still ugly as hell. Too wide and bulky.

Overall I'm 50/50 about this one. Neither hate it nor love it.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
You're fortunate in having seen it in the flesh and this wintery, dreary weather does not reflect its better assets. It is undoubtedly impressive, whether in a positive way or not. It should have been set back more from the Bishopsgate roadway, to give it a better profile and some distance. The downfall (which has nothing to do with the actual building) is placing similar structures so close, and significantly, 8 Bishopsgate. Soon this will become apparent. But this is where North America gets points with its general spaciousness, distance between blocks and grid-like thoroughfares.

Now that it is more or less complete externally perhaps it will soon be shoved into 'completion' and all this theorizing may end!

·
Londinium langur
9,772 Posts
It's gorgeous from the south, but unfortunately that view is soon to be blocked by a naff 200m+ stack of boxes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When you can't see its bulk from either East or especially West it's not too bad. Walked past the foyer today and that looks quite stylish. Walking South down Bishopsgate is quite a canyon effect these days albeit much steeper on the east side of the street.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Having walked through the area yesterday, i can confirm that the pedestrian link between Bishopsgate and St Marys Undersharft is open. However, there are plenty of workmen doing stuff within the building.

19861 - 19880 of 19911 Posts