SkyscraperCity banner

19881 - 19900 of 19911 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I suppose this shaped tower is better than a flat top but it is hardly graceful, even at a distance. The architects should have presented a more subtle and elegant crown, which probably wouldn't have resulted in extra expenditure. This is a tremendous letdown considering its gargantuan prominence from all angles.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Whilst it is physically complete, the internal fit-out of the scheme is underway. The building probably won't be fully open (in a covid-19 context) until late spring summer.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
As if it couldn't get any worse! The numbering is really pathetic and resembles graffiti. Are they trying to recreate a kindergarten scene or something out of Disneyland? It seems they want to brighten up the conservative look of the City with some colour but it is in such poor taste. I guess this gaudy entrance will at least attract visitors to the sky high galleries?

·
Registered
67 Posts
As if it couldn't get any worse! The numbering is really pathetic and resembles graffiti. Are they trying to recreate a kindergarten scene or something out of Disneyland? It seems they want to brighten up the conservative look of the City with some colour but it is in such poor taste. I guess this gaudy entrance will at least attract visitors to the sky high galleries?
Yes. This is the new aesthetic: Kindergarten Brutalism. Expect an effusive retrospective by Phaidon/Wallpaper in 30 years time with forwards by Ian Sinclair and Alan Moore.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I was under the impression that visitors to the viewing galleries, will be using separate lifts as you would need to have to go through security theatre as you do with 20fs.

·
Registered
23,639 Posts
Yes this isn’t the entrance to the viewing floors, that’s the separate entrance at the southern end of the building.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Guardian have nicknamed it 'The Wodge' (a bulky mass, chunk of something). I haven't seen that nickname given elsewhere.

Is there a committee that designates nicknames for CoL skyscrapers or are we in agreement that 22 Bishopsgate shall now be informally refereed to as, the Wodge?

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Guardian have nicknamed it 'The Wodge' (a bulky mass, chunk of something). I haven't seen that nickname given elsewhere.

Is there a committee that designates nicknames for CoL skyscrapers or are we in agreement that 22 Bishopsgate shall now be informally refereed to as, the Wodge?

"..The beast of Bishopsgate, nicknamed The Wodge by one critic.." One critic muttering something under his breath mid-conversation is hardly a call for a new nation-wide consensus. I highly doubt such a silly name will catch on with the mainstream public (which I presume is how these nicknames come about), and thankfully so, as most people (myself included) wouldn't even know what a wodge is without lady google.

·
Ampersands & What
7,270 Posts
The nickname coined on SkyscraperCity when the current design was proposed was "The Shit Box". It may not be a name the developers would like to adopt, but its the nickname that stuck with me.

19881 - 19900 of 19911 Posts