1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Break
Banned
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Application Number: 2020/02578/PA
Application Type: Full Planning
Site Address: Land at 24 and 25 St Pauls Square Jewellery Quarter Birmingham B3 1RB
Proposal: Erection of 5 storey building at 25 St Paul's Square comprising ground floor commercial unit for flexible A1, A2, A3, B1 or D1 uses with 4 x 2 bed apartments above and erection of a roof top extension to 24 St Paul's Square to provide ancillary storage space to existing offices.

Applicant: The Space Studio*
The Space* Studio (Architects and Interior Design), Birmingham

CURRENT STATE OF THE SITE:

PROPOSAL:

A mansard roof will be added to 24 St. Paul's Square - currently a three-storey Georgian building with basement office space.

A new 5-storey new build will be added to that corner, with accommodation in the roof. Materials will include red brick, green glazed brick, with metal & glass to the roof. Green roofs are proposed on both builds.

All 4 apartments are two bed/four person units.

Parking is provided at the rear, with the site also equipped with EV. Indoor cycle storage for two bikes is provided for each apartment.

·
Break
Banned
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the eagle eyed forumer, you'd notice another development proposal not part of this one. I suppose this message can be deleted/moved once the application arrives.

It has now been submitted by St. Paul's Associates - it includes the redevelopment of the Cantonese restaraunt. This is an indicative rendering until the app formally arrives.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree and this is most certainly my favourite part of the city ;-)
Third favourite for me! First always has to be Brindleyplace, immaculately kept urbanity which takes "mixed-use" to the next level, with the vibrancy and friendliness of Chinatown a close second.

Objectively though, the JQ is unbeatable - beautiful architecture, lovely green space and one of the most exciting independent communities in the Midlands :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Good to see more empty space being filled too. Imagine removing all the on street parking around the square on the side of the road with buildings, widening the pavements and creating spill out areas for the bars and restaurants, stunning. (You can keep the on street parking on the side of the road closest the square, there's no pavement there anyway)

·
Kingsheathen
2,202 Posts
I like both of these developments. It’ll be a shame to lose Henry’s but still worth it.

It’ll be nice to see this corner of the square properly finished off. It did always feel like a building was missing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Now been approved subj to a few conditions. Really excited for this one
What conditions were included for the apps approval? Since your post was a while ago I’m presuming this build is gathering pace.

I’m curious to know of any amendments made to the planning app and how the architecture practice has interpreted them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
What conditions were included for the apps approval? Since your post was a while ago I’m presuming this build is gathering pace.

I’m curious to know of any amendments made to the planning app and how the architecture practice has interpreted them.
You can see the conditions on the decision notice here:

2020/02578/PA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts