SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was announced today:

Giant glass tower plan

SPARKLING: Thge glass landmark which developers want to create in Preston city centre

A forgotten corner of Preston city centre is on the brink of a multi-million pound revamp, the Evening Post reveals today.
Developers want to pump millions of pounds into creating a striking 24-storey glass tower on the edge of Ringway which would house a hotel and leisure centre, offices and apartments.
Elsewhere in the site, behind the existing Homebase store, there would be a huge supermarket, petrol station, shops, car showroom, affordable housing, restaurant and bars.
Manchester-based firm Brookhouse Group Ltd has submitted the outline plans to Preston Council, designed by Preston-based architects Cassidy and Ashton.
It wants to bulldoze a six-hectare site on land bounded by Stanley Street, Church Street, Grimshaw Street and
Queen Street, creating hundreds of jobs. The tower block would house a 106-bedroom hotel and leisure centre on the lower levels, along with offices. The upper levels would contain 65 apartments and a continuation of the hotel, which would enjoy spectacular views from double-glazed balconies.
The Homebase store would be retained, while the Mercedes garage would be redesigned and relocated elsewhere on the site.
Other businesses, including a haulage firm and Bensons for Beds, are in talks with the developers about moving off of the site, currently seen as an "uninviting barrier" between the city centre and residential areas on New Hall Lane, Avenham and Frenchwood.
Peter Harris, project architect and a partner at Cassidy and Ashton, said: "We wanted to have something significant on this corner which would act as a sign of Preston coming into its new city status because it's a very prominent site and a gateway to Preston.
"With the hotel building, we wanted to create something really striking, but simple. We feel it would give a real lift to the whole city centre.
"It will be something very modern that really uses very innovative architecture and materials.
"It high but we've tried to break the mass of it down and we've set it back from the road. The plans are designed to complement the Tithebarn proposals when they take hold – we're trying to achieve something very positive for Preston and something that's exciting.
"The supermarket hasn't been identified as a particular user, but there's been a lot of interest."
An archway fronting Church Street would entice shoppers from the city centre into the new development, which will include traditional, mill-type buildings on one side and more modern developments opposite.
The supermarket would be glass-fronted and 10,221 square metres in size, including a cafe.
Similar to the Tithebarn plan which borders the site, the proposals include a series of city squares, urban spaces, public art and pavement cafes to ensure day and night-time uses.
Brookhouse already owns a large part of the land but is in talks to acquire the remainder from existing businesses, which include industry, retail and some offices. A number of the units are vacant.
In their design statement, the architects describe the site as "an underused, neglected and unappealing part of the city".
Mike Hartley, a partner at Cassidy and Ashton, based on East Cliff, Preston, said the plans had been two and a half years in the making.
He added: "We've had extensive discussions with Preston City Council planning department prior to the application being made."
Mr Hartley said it was too early to say exactly how many jobs would be created or how much the development would cost.
Listed buildings in the area, including the Olde Bell pub on Church Street and Grimshaw Street School, will be preserved. The plans are now available for public consultation.
e-mail: [email protected]
11 April 2005
Cool eh? ;) Gorgeous curvy tower in our little city! Hopefully it will get built.

·
Registered
963 Posts
This is really great news. It is an important gateway to the city centre that deserves to have something special put there. The design looks very smart indeed (for Preston standards at least). The wider masterplan also sounds very promissing and is much needed in the church street area. I don't think we should get to carried away just yet, details are sketchy (as is the render) and the site is not realy available just now but its something new and exciting for us to waffle about :D Wonder what hotel would be interested?

·
Like 'Berg'
6,742 Posts
Can I just say big up Preston, lol.. Very exciting week by the sounds of it, tower proposals for both my home town and my honoury town.. I shall keep fingers crossed for the both of us ;)

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Looks like a nice tower and great project. What are the chances of this going ahead? From the article I can't see any reason why this wouldn't be accepted.

·
Registered
963 Posts
JDRS said:
Looks like a nice tower and great project. What are the chances of this going ahead? From the article I can't see any reason why this wouldn't be accepted.
We have as many details as are in that article really. Can't think of any major obstacles, the site contains nothing of particular interest and most new development is being welcomed by the council. The area it is proposed for, Church Street, used to be the main shopping centre of Preston but in the past few decades has declined seriously and is now the main street for nightlife etc. Planners are very keen to regenerate the area especially because it will be adjacent to the massive redevelopment proposed by Grosvenor for a site adjacent to Church Street. I guess that a potential problem could arise if Grosvenor kick up a fuss about an adjacent (rival?) proposal, though this seems unlikely. All being well this should progress without too much hassle, will be a fair few years yet though I feel.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hopefully, it will be accepted as that area is in desperate need of regeneration. But some people are worried that business on the opposite side of the city centre will be affected which is odd as there isn't a supermarket, hotel or many offices down there. It's practically all food outlets and shops, and seeing as the Fishergate Centre is being expanded by around 50% I don't think that side of town will do too badly...

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The site is currently horrible. There is a retail park with 3 shops, several warehouses (mostly derelict) and a huge unused car park. I have highlighted the regeneration area in green. The red is where the tower will be:

There have been a few questions from businesses on the site but I dont think they will be completely against moving. Queens Retail Park has been useless since the day it opened. The place is never busy and the stores that move in there usually arnt very mainstream (IE: Preston Textile Warehouse).

·
Like 'Berg'
6,742 Posts
No mention of the timescale for this project.. hope its within the next 3 years, lol.. At least then I could see it starting or something.. unfortunately the flat I'm in now would probably give a view of this.. but, not there for much longer and next yr I'm on a ground floor facing the wrong direction, so.. maybe for my 3rd year I'll try and find a prime location to snap some construction pics, lol.. If not, I'll just go to the building site a lot :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts