SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Core housing applauded

A 25-unit residential development is to be built on a vacant lot on Dundas Street.

HANK DANISZEWSKI, Free Press Business Reporter 2005-05-12 03:52:29

A vacant lot on Dundas Street long considered an eyesore will soon be filled with affordable housing.

Officials with the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. (CMHC) said yesterday a residential development at 129-131 Dundas St. will be underway soon, perhaps by the end of the month.

The 25-unit project, which backs onto Covent Garden Market, will have ground floor commercial space and is expected to receive funding from a federal-provincial housing deal approved last month.

Mainstreet London manager Janette MacDonald said the start of construction will be a great relief and bring a major improvement to the core.

"It will be so positive for that block and it will take care of the eyesore that's been there for five years. It's exactly what we were looking for -- more residential downtown," she said.

A building on the property housed Seigel's Shoe store for about 70 years. In 2000, London developer Arnon Kaplansky bought the property from Maurice Seigel and stirred controversy by demolishing the 120-year Victorian structure, creating a gap in the streetscape.

At the time, Kaplansky announced plans to build a 40-unit residential building. But the plans stalled later the same year, with Kaplansky indicating he had run into cost problems.

Contacted by The Free Press yesterday, Kaplansky confirmed the residential project is proceeding, but declined further comment.

A ground-breaking ceremony and a construction start is expected soon after the Memorial Cup festivities wind down in the area.

Kate Geilen operated the Geilen Design store next door for five years until its recent closing.

Three months after she opened in 2000, she said, the demolition of the neighbouring store created an eyesore and drove up utility costs in her building because an exterior wall was exposed.

"It's amazing the city gave him a demolition permit when there did not appear to be any intention of building," she said.

Geilen said construction of the new project would not have changed her plans to move because she had other problems, such as parking.

Geilen has found a new location, on Horton Street near Waterloo Street, which she says offers better parking, accessibility and main-floor space. The new store should open later this month.

Geilen said she has heard her former location on Dundas Street will be occupied by a law firm.

CMHC market analyst Helen Huttonsee said the $602-million federal-provincial affordable housing agreement should spur other affordable housing projects in the city.

Copyright © The London Free Press

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is really great and will fill up that hideous looking vacant lot in between two building on Dundas Street in downtown London and will help with downtown housing A LOT!

Here's a pic of that lot, hideous...

·
Registered
855 Posts
thanks for the info jaybird, i read about this in buisness london magazine about a year ago, but there was no mention of 40 units, only 25 i believe. its in a good location for residential and im happy that they are filling in the hole. keep me posted about anything in london because i may not get a chance to go back for a while

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Thats great news but I'm still not sure where it is on Dundas.
How many floors?. Will they have to tear anythine else to put it up?

·
Registered
855 Posts
its between talbot and richmond, on the south side of the road, across from kingsmills department store. i have no idea about the height, but its a very narrow lot so id say between 4 and 6 stories. there is so much potential in downtown london, they just need to fill in the gaps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts