SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 493 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Yep, looks decent from the renders, there will be a nice little cluster of residentials here if they ever get built, the City Road Basin towers were proposed about 6 years ago weren't they? That 80s business park belongs in Slough, dear the 80s really were the nadir for architecture in the UK, a few notable examples notwithstanding

·
Registered
6,872 Posts

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
oh fantastic! That crappy business park has to be one of the biggest waste of urban land seen in central London! No doubt the Islington development plan will fall over and add years of delay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agree the scheme as a whole looks good but...

why do so many new towers have to be covered in random bl**dy cladding? Just an opinion, but it's a) horribly ugly in almost all cases and b) totally unoriginal. Shouldn't architects planning towers (which is a great privilege) try and put some imagination / creativity into how they look?

(PS - first thread I looked at after this one was the Battersea Gas Holders thread... Gah!)

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Agree the scheme as a whole looks good but...

why do so many new towers have to be covered in random bl**dy cladding? Just an opinion, but it's a) horribly ugly in almost all cases and b) totally unoriginal. Shouldn't architects planning towers (which is a great privilege) try and put some imagination / creativity into how they look?

(PS - first thread I looked at after this one was the Battersea Gas Holders thread... Gah!)
how the hell can you say it isnt original? Ever been around the country or the world? Now tell me it isnt original or fresh and cutting edge?

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boris Johnson criticises LandSecs ‘bulky’ City road scheme
Propertyweek
11:27 | 27.03.09

Mayor of London Boris Johnson has criticised Land Securities’ redevelopment plans for its City Forum estate on the fringes of the City of London as ‘too tall and too bulky’.

Johnson said that the plans by the UK’s largest REIT to develop a 27-storey tower, and a part 4-10 storey building comprising office and residential space at 250 City Road should be reviewed.

He said the design of the tower should ‘provide a slender elegant addition to the City Road street scene’. He also said that the application does not comply with the London Plan but possible remedies could address the deficiencies.

The comments were made in a series of planning steering decisions, made by delegated authority by deputy mayor for policy and planning Simon Milton, which were published today.

He said: ‘The scheme raises some serious strategic concerns – principally access and desing. More information and amendments are also required to ensure compliance on affordable housing, biodiversity, climate change, ambient noise and transport.

If the borough of Islington resolves to make a draft decision on LandSecs application the application the mayor can use his power to direct refusal. '

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh dear Boris...what are you doing now?!

This is a great design and would come as a massive benefit to the construction industry just at the right time. I believe the project is pencilled in to start in the autumn if approved, so this would be a terrible decision to block it, especially given the flimsy arguments against it.

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
too tall and too bulky? Anyone care to give Boris a lesson in proportions?

Well I suppose it is to bulky when compared to the already consented tower across the road. Which incidentally, Boris & Mr Milton is 10 storeys taller.

Hands up who thinks Mr Milton & Boris are just having a hissy fit because they lost yesterday.

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
The denisty is just right around here and for a residential development it looks innovative and high quality, has Boris seen what it is replacing? I think he should before making such flimsy comments with his side kick mr toady.

·
London, UK
708 Posts
Well I suppose it is to bulky when compared to the already consented tower across the road. Which incidentally, Boris & Mr Milton is 10 storeys taller.

At long last the second of the 2 plots for the City Road Basin towers is being demolished.

Entirely clad in the white sheets of death, the company doing the job is 777 Demolition. Which sounds like someone found them in the Yellow Pages, but never mind.

The second site, bordering Graham Street is for the taller of the 2 towers and will provide a more interesting neighbour for the new apartment block than the old vacant electricity office building. I know deolition does not gurantee a build, but it feels like progress....

·
***Alexxx***
5,181 Posts
I like the proportions of the building, but where will you be able to see it from? Will it stand out of the skyline?

1 - 20 of 493 Posts