Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"NE Atlanta Beltline Development Group to Propose Hi-Rises in Midtown"

At the last (May 4th) meeting of the NorthEast Atlanta Beltline development group with Neighborhood group representatives, the development team confirmed they will be proposing zoning changes for Midtown in order to build two high rises along the south east corner of Piedmont Park.

This development group represents the private owner of the northeast sector of the beltline.

They are not interested in developing transit solutions, but want feedback from the affected community regarding what's important to them. Rita Costilow has emphasized the need for thorough traffic studies along Monroe as well as a concern about the neighborhood having sufficient infrastructure to support the proposed 2500-3000 additional residences.

They will be proposing a zoning change to "MRC3" along the beltline at 10th and Monroe up along the Park in order to build two 20-25 story high rises. They describe this property as "the hottest real estate in Atlanta".

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
As I posted on the other board - it's 2500-3000 + more drivers on an already congested road - Monroe Dr. Can't say I think this many units that far out of Midtown / Downtown is a good idea.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Transit (ie the beltline) is a much longer term development than the condos. As long as they design them to interface with the future transit corridor, then there isn't a problem. I think the statement that they aren't interested in transit solutions just means that they aren't looking for comments on transit from the neighborhood but would rather hear from everyone on what they think about the planned condos. Since the transit won't exist for some time, the current reality of 3000+ drivers (many units will have more than one driver) living in the area, contributing to traffic has to be addressed. As does issues like shadows being cast on the park, the increased strain on the sewer system, the blending of the architecture with that of the neighborhood, the pedestrain friendliness of the building, retail requirements, etc.

·
jupiter
344 Posts
Who actually stated the 2500-3000 condos?
It depends on what parcel of property is in question as to wheather or not it is even posiable. When asked about that number I saw one developer involved chuckle and remark how easy it is for rumors to get out of control and numbers to multiply.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hey guys, don't act shocked! Guess who owns the primest land around the Beltline? Why it's good old Wayne Mason, the ex-Gwinnett Highwayman who made millions.

He owns the Northeast part of much of the area around the Beltline, which goes through southern Buckhead, Morningside and Virginia-Highlands.

I was reminded that he owns this land in today's AJC, but I read many months ago that he had bought the Northeastern portion of the land.

Seems that fat Wayne has decided he can't build more highways for his cronies in Gwinnett, which he gets a piece of, and decided to move intown.

You know, when I read about his purchase of the land months ago I just thought that this was too much of a turn about for Wayne.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How do you fit 2500-3000 condos in a development that consists of two 20-25 story condos? Novare's Centennial Hill project has only 1000 units in two 30-some story towers......

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You make the buildings very wide. Given that the land is very narrow but very long, this is how the building would have to be. Remember, this is old railroad right of way. Also the best prices would be on units with a view of the park so even if the lot was deep, they'd still want to make the building wide so maximize the number of units with park views.

Will it actually be 2500+ units? Who knows... maybe it'll be built in phases or maybe it will be less than the Midtown Neighbors website stated. But developers are fickle and they often play games with the public. Until they file plans with city hall for approval, we just don't know.

But do remember that they keep saying this is the hottest property in Atlanta. It would make financial sense for them to try to cram as many units in there as possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
jason21atl said:
How do you fit 2500-3000 condos in a development that consists of two 20-25 story condos? Novare's Centennial Hill project has only 1000 units in two 30-some story towers......
Terminus, who originally mentioned this was coming, said the buildings are about 400 feet tall and 300 feet wide. So, I agree with Aubie - think really wide buildings.

·
jupiter
344 Posts
Thanks for the map Brad.

Well I have to say I have heard of some bad ideas before but this one would raise the bar. Building anything on that property before the Beltline is in place is unwise. I used to live on Monroe, until the volume of traffic on that street is addressed we are going to have a bottleneck. I do not believe the answer is adding capacity.

·
jupiter
344 Posts
Texasboy, question for you--------do you know what those yellow line are?

It is not land open for development rather a beautiful, well established neighborhood. Home values range from 250K to well over 1 million.

·
Registered
765 Posts
starbuc jupiter said:
Texasboy, question for you--------do you know what those yellow line are?

It is not land open for development rather a beautiful, well established neighborhood. Home values range from 250K to well over 1 million.
i assumed that it was because i cannot see that much land open in what looks like to be a well established neighborhood. i was just thinking of it as a concept. :) believe me i hate a lot of the gentrification happening throughout cities in neighborhoods that don't deserve it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That neighborhood is already gentrified, in the 1980's. But I might not be getting your point, so apologies in case...

·
jupiter
344 Posts
Texasboy,

I didn't really hear you wanting to be a bulldozer developer. In a few cases people have gone in and built large townhouse residences on some of the lots in this neighborhood. Some of them are OK, some are a little out of place.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Its not about me said:
Terminus, who originally mentioned this was coming, said the buildings are about 400 feet tall and 300 feet wide. So, I agree with Aubie - think really wide buildings.
Man! That would create a huge 25 story wall between those neighborhoods and the park. Terminus was right, this project will make the parking controversy thing look like hippie love fest.

I think they'll definately have to come up with something better than this or it aint gonna happen.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know... the problem is that the owner of the property can play really hard ball if he wants. He has said he supports the beltline but if he wants, he can refuse to let his property be used for it. The portion he bought wasn't just this part long the park but also a much long adjacent section that slices between neighborhoods. There would be no way to route the beltline through there without him. And there is really no alternative to go around his property.

So if he decides that he doesn't want to redesign the buildings and uses the property as a bargaining chip, who is going to stop him? Without his cooperation that beltline can not exist.

This is why I'm worried about others buying up parts of the beltline. For as much talk and planning there has been, there is still no money to purchase land so anyone with a checkbook can buy up sections and use them as bargaining chips for anything they want. Sure the city could try using eminent domain to take the land but that would certainly end up in a costly court battle.

I imagine that in the end the height of the condos will be reduced but not by that much. He may have actually proposed a taller height than he really wanted so that after negotiations he would end up with the height he wants in the first place.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
AubieTurtle said:
I don't know... the problem is that the owner of the property can play really hard ball if he wants. He has said he supports the beltline but if he wants, he can refuse to let his property be used for it. The portion he bought wasn't just this part long the park but also a much long adjacent section that slices between neighborhoods. There would be no way to route the beltline through there without him. And there is really no alternative to go around his property.

So if he decides that he doesn't want to redesign the buildings and uses the property as a bargaining chip, who is going to stop him? Without his cooperation that beltline can not exist.

This is why I'm worried about others buying up parts of the beltline. For as much talk and planning there has been, there is still no money to purchase land so anyone with a checkbook can buy up sections and use them as bargaining chips for anything they want. Sure the city could try using eminent domain to take the land but that would certainly end up in a costly court battle.

I imagine that in the end the height of the condos will be reduced but not by that much. He may have actually proposed a taller height than he really wanted so that after negotiations he would end up with the height he wants in the first place.

The whole reason he even bought the property is because of the beltline and he can't build without the city changing the zoning for the property. He would have absolutely nothing to gain by taking a "harball" tactic, which I believe would be unheard of, you described.

And I don't think condemning property is so much of legal quagmire.

But mostly I think the public outcry in the neighborhoods in the area will be so loud that it will be undoable as currently proposed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts