1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
28,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Application Number2018/04626/PA
Application TypeFull Planning
Site AddressLand at 31 Cliveland Street Birmingham B19 3SH
ProposalDemolition of existing building and erection of a part 6 and part 7 storey building to provide 54 apartments and associated parking and landscaping

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Another one by Elevate who usually do a decent job (apart from Honduras Wharf!)

It looks good and is much needed development for this part of the city although I can’t see it being a great place to live with a big student development next door, the factory the other side is an absolute state and I can’t image the canal frontage is anything like that on the renders.

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
23,862 Posts
Are those trees along the canal actually going in or is it just artistic license?

This proposed building could make better use of the canal. Balconies overlooking the canal would seem like an obvious improvement and surely add value to the apartments.
Not to sure, but would be nice to have them there.. It would come under the Globe Works application.

Here's a few comparisons from the app with what's currently on site.

·
Break
0 Posts
Changes

52 apartments now instead of 54.

^^ The top storey has been removed, so we get a consistent height of 6 storeys and increase the visibility of the shot-tower.

The black-greyish bricks have been replaced with red-brown ones to match the frontage block up to a height of 5-storeys, so we get red-brick facades along the canal. The top floor of the rear block is to be clad in a lightish metal.

& because the courtyard was dominated by the car park, parking has been reduced from 17 to 9.

The parking is limited to the under croft. The level of the car parking remains 2m below the canal towpath, so cars are unlikely to be seen from the canal.

These peeps will now get landscaped courtyard gardens that span the canal level and ground level around the base of the shot tower instead, which will look directly onto the canal. Two additional mezzanine units have been added to the ground floor to mediate viability concerns.

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
23,862 Posts
I really liked the dark brick, but I have to say losing the top floor to make it all one level has made this look much better! The colour of the brick is quite nice and much more fitting to the area, not a fan of the new top floor material though, why couldn't it all be brick?

Also really hope the building next door gets a new lease of life, it's a really nice building but it's in such a terrible state, they've made it look quite nice in the render above.

·
Break
0 Posts
^^
I meant the towers at the end of the canal, and end of the road in these?:banana:
:lol: :lol: Just noticed that. I was inclined to say it was for artistic purposes Nigeman but that first shot goes straight towards Cornwall House by BT Tower, where there was talk of redevelopment and a 16-18 storey building put in its place. I think Djay spoke about this briefly last year or the year before and someone else posted a model of the site in question that they found on Twitter.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4842079,-1.9038494,3a,75y,207.36h,109.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seE7O1lNHD1w1sIgHktbEMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The tower in the second pic is exactly the same, but this time it sits on the coach car park adjacent Bagot Street Phase 2. Maybe they know something we don't Nigeman & they're teasing b******s

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
:lol: :lol: Just noticed that. I was inclined to say it was for artistic purposes Nigeman but that first shot goes straight towards Cornwall House by BT Tower, where there was talk of redevelopment and a 16-18 storey building put in its place. I think Djay spoke about this briefly last year or the year before and someone else posted a model of the site in question that they found on Twitter.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4842079,-1.9038494,3a,75y,207.36h,109.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seE7O1lNHD1w1sIgHktbEMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The tower in the second pic is exactly the same, but this time it sits on the coach car park adjacent Bagot Street Phase 2. Maybe they know something we don't Nigeman & they're teasing b******s
Yes, no movement or updates on this one in an age, but it’s the tenth development down in the below link:

https://pacedm.co.uk/portfolio/

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Rabbit out of the hat with that one. Have you contacted them about it?
No I have never tried to contact them about it. The only additional information I know is that there was a small slip of land that is next to it on the corner of Ludgate and Water that was up for sale as a car park as it’s current use and was sold probably about 6-12 months ago possibly with Mason Young if I remember correctly. No idea of the purchaser mind but it was such an awkward strip of land that would be difficult to do anything with unless amalgated with bordering plots.

Edit:

Found it:

http://www.masonyoung.co.uk/properties/ludgate-hill-st-pauls-square-birmingham-b3-1eh/

1 - 20 of 69 Posts