SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 724 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I'd like to see a top down view, as I'm confused by the Southeast corner.

edit - also, I'd like to see what is going on with the roof or spire. I love the thing, and it appears that at least part of it is a mesh wrapped around supports. I'd kill to see the detail. Imagine what a cool place to hang out that'll be.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I read in the Star this morning that the proposed height is 370 feet. Close to the same as the JW (376) and CCB (372). It will definitely have a dramatic impact in widening the core downtown skyline by a block. Now there will be a full 1 mile stretch from East St. to West St. with anchor 370 foot tall towers on each end and taller buildings in between. A fairly symmetric looking skyline looking from the North or South.

The Skyline is also gradually moving south with both the JW and this proposal being on the south-side of Market along with the CCB.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I like it. The design is modern but the ground floor area seems to be scaled for the pedestrian and to integrate with its surroundings. Now comes the key to this project, ending up with a finished producted that looks like the plans.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I know the announcement said this was a 28 story building -- but the renderings show 30 floors. Not a big deal -- but, I pointed this out in the other thread and someone said that they counted 28. I don't see how you can mis-count what is shown on these large renderings. I clearly see 30 floors -- with the equivalent of several more in the upper structure with the deck and pool.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Are my eyes deceiving me, or does the building flare out a bit as it gets taller? Maybe just barrel roll effect.

Regardless, this is a real slam dunk for the city. If this was proposed elsewhere I'd be green with envy. Not the best design ever, but a huge step in the right direction for Indy.

I hope that neighboring towers follow suit with complementary designs. I love how the Near Eastside of downtown is becoming a haven for modern (or postmodern) architecture, and I hope the trend continues til we see something truly groundbreaking.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I count four floors that I consider to be the lower levels of the building - matching up with the retail / restaurants / main lobby on the lower two floors and probably some more lobby, lounge, gym types areas on the third and fourth floors. Then above that, there are 26 floors that are all pretty much the same floor height and design going up from there. Its not a big deal - because who knows, things could always change from the rendering (maybe they already have - hence the difference) - but I'm just saying, I sure see 30 floors.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It may be 28 floors of apartments.... 2 floors of retail below.... then what looks like 5 floors for the rooftop garden parapet
I think you are correct. I count 30, but the first 4 do appear to be larger. And I think that 5 seems about right for the top.

So if the building is 370 feet tall (ground to top) including 35 floors (4 lobby/facilities, 26 apartments, 5 top), that calls for an average of 10-11 feet per floor.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
The signs on the renderings say something about some type of "gourmet" food store on the first floor. I guess it could happen but it seems a bit like overkill with it being right next to the City Market and two blocks south of the Marsh grocery downtown. I don't see that all of those places (plus the other new Marsh grocery seven or so blocks away) will all be able to stay in business. Who knows.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Maybe they wanted to make sure that the pool on top was high enough so people couldn't go up to the observatory on top of the adjacent City-County Building and ogle over at the folks sunning themselves up on the roof. :)

Edit: Just saw that the CCB is actually 372 feet tall -- so the top of this one, if 370 feet tall, will be right about at eye level for people looking over from the CCB observatory. Oh well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
At first, I was disappointed when I heard that it wasn't going to be as many stories as their project in Cincinnati. Now after comparing both of the renderings, I have to say that I find this building to be significantly more attractive even if it isn't as many floors.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
The signs on the renderings say something about some type of "gourmet" food store on the first floor. I guess it could happen but it seems a bit like overkill with it being right next to the City Market and two blocks south of the Marsh grocery downtown. I don't see that all of those places (plus the other new Marsh grocery seven or so blocks away) will all be able to stay in business. Who knows.
Too bad we didn't get the Stokely proposal.. then we would have gotten a "Green Foods". damnit, missed opportunity there. (Green Foods is a lawn fertilizer company in reality)

I've always enjoyed the funny retail names that architects put in their renders. I'm sure they have a lot of fun with it.

For example, here's a render of the long defunct 146 E. Washington project with "Racinelli" taking the bottom floor. Racinelli doesn't exist of course, but Haus put it in every single drawing they made. When asked why, Chris Short said he just liked the way it sounded.

FINAL RENDER by Moochie McMoochie, on Flickr

·
Registered
493 Posts
At first, I was disappointed when I heard that it wasn't going to be as many stories as their project in Cincinnati. Now after comparing both of the renderings, I have to say that I find this building to be significantly more attractive even if it isn't as many floors.
I agree completely. I don't find the Cincinnati project near as nice (design) as this project.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Maybe they wanted to make sure that the pool on top was high enough so people couldn't go up to the observatory on top of the adjacent City-County Building and ogle over at the folks sunning themselves up on the roof. :)

Edit: Just saw that the CCB is actually 372 feet tall -- so the top of this one, if 370 feet tall, will be right about at eye level for people looking over from the CCB observatory. Oh well.
The pool is on top of the lower portion of the building, not the tower though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I thought the rumor I had read in either the IBJ or Star was that a Whole Foods was going to take nearly all of the retail space.

1 - 20 of 724 Posts