SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
B R E A K
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new healthy and eco-friendly residential community for Icknield Street. Been in pre-app for quite a while, it'll sit alongside the Community Vocational College, which is imminent next door.

Application Number: 2022/08520/PA
Application Type: Full Planning
Site Address 37-38 Icknield Street and land east of Icknield Street Hockley Birmingham B18 5AY
Proposal: Demolition of existing buildings and erection of residential block comprising 83no. one, two and three bed apartments over 6 levels with associated access and parking.
Developer: Golden Bricks Estate Ltd
Architects: Venturi Architects
Planning Consultant: Williams Gallagher

• 50% affordability - tenure and mix to be decided.
  • Playful ground level arches
  • Living accommodation across the first to six floors
  • Ground floor dedicated to waste/ recycling/ storage/ 58 cars/ 12EV/ 100 cycles
  • To be built in red brick with red aluminium window frames
  • A range of communal, shared, and private amenity spaces, including communal terraces, courtyards, and vegetable gardens at level 1; private terraces to 2-5; and a communal terrace at roof level
  • 100 prefabricated sensory planters with carefully chosen plants to grow up to 5m in height & diameter will form a key part of the building structure (replacing balustrades) & will include an integrated irrigation and sustainable drainage system.

Golden Bricks and Venturi are also currently behind the proposed rejuvenation of 51 Albion Place

· Registered
charlie - brum ♥️
1,967 Posts
Absolutely love this!
yes, i had a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions when i saw this. its very weird but very fun, hopefully all the greenery gets brought forward rather than abandoned. very interesting design!

edit: whats even weirder is the location! i feel like we will see more around here soon…

· Registered
1,887 Posts
Looks fantastic and reminds me of that Garden Hill proposal we saw in Digbeth a little bit. Let’s be honest though I will be very surprised if it ends up being built like it is in the images unless the land was picked up years ago for next to nothing or they have some sort of grant.

To get the prices needed in this location, build it without significant value engineering and offer 50% affordable housing, I would be interested to see how they get the numbers to work.

· Registered
121 Posts
The whole block around this is currently an absolutely awful ruin - all of these developments happening in one place will be transformative.

At the moment, the google maps highlight for this site is a homeless person sorting through carrier bags on a pile of rubbish next door at the old Muhammad Ali centre, on the kind of industrial back road cup-de-sac where you'd imagine very bad things happen at night.

I hadn't realised this area was being transformed and it's a very, very good thing.

· Kebab Licker
3,263 Posts
The whole block around this is currently an absolutely awful ruin - all of these developments happening in one place will be transformative.

At the moment, the google maps highlight for this site is a homeless person sorting through carrier bags on a pile of rubbish next door at the old Muhammad Ali centre, on the kind of industrial back road cup-de-sac where you'd imagine very bad things happen at night.

I hadn't realised this area was being transformed and it's a very, very good thing.
I swear there's some weird link-up between SSC and Villatalk going on.

· ...Ready for departure.
11,917 Posts
Interesting proposal. There's a bit of parametric modeling going on in the gardens. Visually Interesting. Looks good.

Reactions: charliehs

· Registered
1,393 Posts
For reference, a linky to the thread for the Community Vocational College next door:

Community Vocational College | Former Muhammed Ali Centre | Icknield Street | Hockley | Education | 2-5fl | Appr. | SkyscraperCity Forum

And a render of the Hockley Flyover vision:
The flyover, and surrounding area, is such a challenge. I drove over it pretty much daily for two decades until around 2009. Anything like this needs to be accompanied by effective socio-economic policies. Otherwise, even if that vision is realized, it ain't going to stay like that for long.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts