Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
24,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The regeneration of the Gun Quarter continues, this time a 2 storey building coming down for this new Student Accommodation.

Application Number 2018/03661/PA
Application Type Full Planning
Site Address 37 Hanley Street Birmingham B19 3SP
Proposal Demolition of existing building and erection of 6 storey frontage building and single storey rear building containing 60 student studios (Sui Generis) and associated works
https://hickmanandsmith.co.uk/essential_grid/hanley-street/

This 2 storey building will make way.

Location, curstory of the BIM.

·
14,310 Posts
Hickman and Smiths are also the architects for the live planning app at Bridge Street West which is a very similar looking student development. Neither of them blow me away and they're certainly no Globeworks but, as someone else, said they're better than what's there at present.

I'm now resigned to this side of the Gun Quarter being totally dominated by student residences.

·
Simples
6,845 Posts
Can't seem to get the various plans on the app to open on my phone so can someone comment on the materials.... seems like the success of this will be very reliant on a good palet of materials.

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
24,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't seem to get the various plans on the app to open on my phone so can someone comment on the materials.... seems like the success of this will be very reliant on a good palet of materials.
Not much, but taken from the D&A Statment.

The materials used in the surrounding buildings range from a use of brick, stone, render and cladding systems on their elevation. These also include a variety of roof types including, pitched tiled roofs, flat and profiled cladding.

The submitted drawings shown within the application show the indicative elevation proposals for a red brick façade made of 5 equally sized bays, with each bay containing 2 windows. The simple detailing, window proportions and materiality are reflective of the area’s industrial heritage, with particular reflection upon the canal side.

Roofs will be flat and parapets will be accentuated with a plinth and aluminium powder coated coping. Windows are shown with grey aluminium frames. The windows are accentuated using a Staffordshire blue brick sill as it provides a reference to the canal. The bike storage is hidden inside in the internal courtyard.

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
24,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks PB, would be great to see 41-45 Hanley Street become something, adding to the new Globe Works and 31 Cliveland Street apartments too..

Interestingly on the last photo you've posted, Lower Loveday St apartments make an appearance to the right hand side, I really hope we see this scheme come back after refusal, would really help smarten the area and make it a new destination. Hopefully Xian Developments are still working behind the scenes to get it back, surely apartments have gone up in louder areas?

·
Break
0 Posts
bump

Tricas Construction confirmed as contractor

Application Number2020/03927/PA
Application TypeDischarge Of Condition
Site Address37 Hanley Street Birmingham B19 3SP
ProposalApplication to determine the details for condition numbers 8 (contamination remediation scheme), 10 (drainage scheme) and 11 (employment plan) attached to planning approval 2018/03661/PA

·
...Ready for departure.
12,534 Posts

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
24,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
PSS1980
1,700 Posts
I'll post this here as the site next door (41-45 Hanley Street, still proposed) forms the next phase of redevelopment works for VP. Tricas Construction has struck up an agreement to build that one too.

...now for someone to create a 41-45 Hanley Street thread.
Interesting same height? , how many studios ?

·
14,310 Posts
I'll post this here as the site next door (41-45 Hanley Street, still proposed) forms the next phase of redevelopment works for VP. Tricas Construction has struck up an agreement to build that one too.

...now for someone to create a 41-45 Hanley Street thread.
Thread started.

What's VP stand for? Just checked. It's Volume Property.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts