Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Correspondent
8,276 Posts
I don't consider the old Rack building to be architecturally distinctive or historical, and from what I've gathered here on the boards, it wouldn't be the easiest candidate for renovation or rehabilitation, so there's only one thing to do.....

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Although for a few years the Pine Street shopping corridor would be broken up by that and the parking lot across the street (unless that is redeveloped soon). However of course it would ultimately be nice to have the building there.

In the long term, it might be a good way of getting a major international retailer in there, since it would be a new building.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I'm having mixed feeling about this one. I usually excited about skyscrapers like this one but I don't want this beautiful two stories building to be demolished to make way for this tower. I'd feel better if that developer decide to keep that building and add a skyscraper on it.

·
Buy used books
3,187 Posts
Not so new; If I'm reading correctly, it looks like this is at least the fifth "revisit," of the project, according to the Department of Assessments site. They plan only to demolish the smaller building. Hope it goes through this time. I believe there is yet considerable potential for these hotel/condo combinations (still about 74,000,000 baby boomers to retire.)

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
"KG's development director is listed by the city as the contact for the tower project, along with an architect at Seattle firm Weber Thompson."

Another WT tower?! That doesn't get me terribly excited to see the design...

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
In the six years I've lived downtown and walked by there, I've seen it open like three times.
Me too! It's never open.

If they're tearing down just the smaller building with Cafe D'Arte in it, that's a fairly small site, so a thirty-eight-storey tower built there would be fairly skinny. I like that thought.

·
Registered
493 Posts
??? It's open every day...

Anyway, really interested to see this go forward - would be a great improvement for 2nd, although seems like a lot of the hotel rooms would have obstructed views.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
"KG's development director is listed by the city as the contact for the tower project, along with an architect at Seattle firm Weber Thompson."

Another WT tower?! That doesn't get me terribly excited to see the design...
Yeah I hear ya. Especially since this tower sits in between 1521 and Viktoria, both WT designed towers as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts