SkyscraperCity banner

921 - 940 of 1914 Posts

·
6,717 Posts
That look so realistic! I'm really sure that it will look better with more trees in the first pic!

May I ask you about your computer specs? RAM, Processor, OS.. and how fast your computer run your Bourne city in the sketchup project file? :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for the comments!

May I ask you about your computer specs? RAM, Processor, OS.. and how fast your computer run your Bourne city in the sketchup project file? :)
Well, my computer isn't anything special: Windows Vista, Core2 Quad 2.33GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB.
The buildings seen up close in the street level scenes are actually not saved with the main file. I use them only for street level shots. The versions of the buildings used in aerials are lot less detailed. Making two models of the same building is extra work, but it allows me to make a larger city but still have good looking street level scenes.

Here's a couple of re-textured buildings:

The City Hall and Administrations Building. Built in 1915, it was for a long time the largest building in office space in Bourne. It houses the mayor's office and many other city administration's offices - as well as the courthouse.

The Heritage Insurance Building replaced the old city hall from 1876 in 1967. Most people think this is the worst example of the enthusiasm of 1960's and 70's to demolish old buildings and replace them with new ones - especially when it was rumored that the CEO of Heritage Insurance, John Bergen, was a little too friendly with mayor Norman Kilrea.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Incredible Realism.:cheers: Is it Sketchup?? Detail is Excellent.
I think what he/she has modeled here Sketchup is capable of doing without difficulty. However, I don't recall Sketchup being capable of reflective materials, at least not the free version. You can get something like Vray to render the scene with, or import the scene into something like Blender to render in that.

I've gotten used to Sketchup for doing Google Earth buildings, but admittedly, if I were going to do something like this, I would do it entirely inside Blender because I'm more used to using Blender's far more advanced modeling tools, and Blender's rendering capabilities are far beyond Sketchup. Sketchup is fine for the kind of architecture shapes he/she is modeling here (it's probably faster actually), but if he/she were to get into making any complex organic shapes, the free version of Sketchup isn't the best option imo. Not an issue though. They finally got Blender's Collada format import/export working the way it should so it's easy to move back and fourth between these two 3D modeling apps now.

Anyways, looks good Vellu. Keep expanding on it. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the comments! ^^

Here's couple of older, pre-re-texturing street scenes:

"The southeast corner of West Madison and Monroe streets is possibly the most underdeveloped lot in downtown Bourne. Currently a three-story building from the early 60’s is located there. It is owned by the VanAlen Banking Corporation and they have a bank branch at the first floor. The other two floors are currently vacant. Before the depression VanAlen was looking to replace the building with newer and bigger version – possibly a residential building as the lot is a bit small for an efficient office building – but those plans are now on hold."
That was the situation in June 2009. The building was torn down in the summer of 2012.

"Here's a view looking northwest on West Jackson Street. The building with the twin towers is the Cambridge Place and the renassaince revival styled building behing it is the Oxford House."

·
Наблюда&
:D
27,506 Posts
They're back!

Section1
P1 - ///East Garden IBC/// - *On hold*
P2 - ///Bronze center ECG/// - *Completed*
///Sky M Tower/// - *T/O*

Section2
P1-P2 - ///WTC M IBC/// -*on hold* Level 47/ +188.00m *T/O*

Section3
P0 - *On hold* Level 26/ +156.00m

Section4
P1 - ///wave hotel ECG/// -*T/O* Level 72/ +300.00m cladding works
P2 - ///IBC Tower/// -*On hold* Level -2/ +28.00m
P3 - ///Tower/// - *On hold* Level -3/ -8.00m
P4 - *Pro*
P5 - *Pro*
P6 - *Pro*

Section5
P1 - *On hold*
P2 - *Pro

But I will work only on these two towers, now.

///Sky M Tower///

& ///wave hotel ECG///

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
:master: :master:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for the comments!
To anyone whose been wondering: modeling has been done in Sketchup and rendering in Kerkythea.

Here's a couple of re-textured buildings. First off The Oxford House. It is an luxurious apartment building finished in 1917. It was the largest aparment building in Bourne until 1960's, but today it still has the most sought after aparments - especially on the western side with the lake views. The eastern side apartments used to have great views of downtown until the completion of the Cambridge Place. The Oxford House is 66 meters / 217 feet, with 15 floors.

Cambridge Place is a mixed-use building at the west side of downtown Bourne. Above the two story base there's 12 stories of offices and then apartments in the two 19 story towers. The total height to the roof is 135 m / 443 ft, making Cambridge Place the third tallest building in Bourne.

When the plans for the building were announced in 1987, they generated lot of complaints from the residents of the Oxford House. It is the most prestigious apartment building in Bourne and Cambridge Place was going to totally block the views towards the city. Eventually all the complaints were rejected and the Cambridge Place was completed in 1991.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Bourne's story is amazing :D Love the realism :)

·
Наблюда&
:D
27,506 Posts
^^
:bowtie:

Section1
P1 - ///East Garden IBC/// - *On hold*
P2 - ///Bronze center ECG/// - *Completed*
///Sky M Tower/// - *T/O*

Section2
P1-P2 - ///WTC M IBC/// -*on hold* Level 47/ +188.00m *T/O*