SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd introduce myself to start with. I'v been a member on this site for less than a year and moderate the relatively new UK South East Forum and in that time I rarely left the comfort of the UK section. I'm currently a 2nd year Architecture & Planning Student who dabbles in freelance architectural visualisations here and there as well as recently working for a tech/transport start-up creating initial visuals and imagery. I used to make cities and buildings in SketchUp ever since I first used the program to model a chair in my product design class. Guess I never looked back haha

But rather than use a forum like this as an outlet, I created SketchUp 'speebuilds' videos on YouTube. However, I got very little views, and this never spent long enough on each project to a standard I was ever pleased with. Though my modelling and Photoshop skills skyrocketed in hindsight so it was beneficial. Guess I'l use this thread to post what I am working on. I'l share some projects I created in the past. I have a portfolio website where I post alot of my work too.

So SketchUp Speedbuilds

Playlist: YouTube If you watch please excuse the awful royalty free music.

I made 25 in total, some were based on real buildings and others my own designs.

My favourite design from these was this hyrbrid tower. Half Modernist/International style, half Brutalist facade:

I stopped doing these when I started an art diploma prior to university, but my main focus was very much architectural visualisation and design. The last skyscraper I was working was this brutalist tower, but never got round to finishing. The upgrade to Vray certainly helped.

A rendering of my art gallery from my art diploma.

A few images of the conceptual visuals I created from my time working.

Then Uni! In my first year we were forbidden to use any computer software, an 'forcefully' encouraged to make psychical models. I can share if anyone is interested. Now coming to a prolonged end of my second year due to recent events but will share my final project of some multi-generational, hillside, carbon neutral terrace housing. Think our tutor is stress testing us! Alot of visuals produced in architecture school are graphic, more artistic representing an idea rather than a photorealitic image selling the building. Nevertheless, this is the last visual I made. It is a real building for our architectural representation module.

·
12,363 Posts
I've said it before, the tower looks great and is definitely my favourite of your designs. The art gallery and that public place stairwell are great as well I think, each in its right. Nice work!

·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thought I'd start a small side project. I spend most of my time rendering and modelling smaller schemes and usually in an artistic/graphic manner. So I thought I'l rework and create the my favoured design from a few years back in depth.

My favourite design from these was this hybrid tower. Half Modernist/International style, half Brutalist facade:

View attachment 39496
I still have the old model, its amazing looking back at older work. Though it is a very simple model, without much details, it is an utter mess. The glass has not rendered correctly either as it is one transparent face which VRay does not like. Think of these quick renders from that model as sketches for my new project that will be largely a similar design, with a base that will be designed.

·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nor am I, it looks like a golden trellis fence I know haha. I was just playing with ideas. Thinking I might remove that and just make each section with the a larger window detail frame, instead of it only being on the right half. I might still have some thinner panels with a reworked pattern possibly to break some of the facade, we'll see.

·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Testing curtain wall glazing, something I have never modelled properly before. The glass texture itself needs some work, too transparent and looks almost frosted. The lack of sky reflection due to no sky box doesn't help. I think it looks better up close, I use SketchUp - Vray and usually a lot of Photoshop editing later, but does anyone have any tips on rendering this type of glazing in SketchUp/Vray?

I'm thinking about adding mullions on the concrete facade area. I have yet to model interior layout and rooms which will help further.

·
12,363 Posts
The glazing looks great!

Testing curtain wall glazing, something I have never modelled properly before. The glass texture itself needs some work, too transparent and looks almost frosted. The lack of sky reflection due to no sky box doesn't help. I think it looks better up close, I use SketchUp - Vray and usually a lot of Photoshop editing later, but does anyone have any tips on rendering this type of glazing in SketchUp/Vray?
I have never used Vray but it appears that your glass material has too much roughness. It should be basically zero for glass. The material looks fine otherwise, I like the dark tone :)

·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks, there is a lot you can do in Vray. Glass can be a pain though especially as Vray is very sensitive to glass thickness and back facing edges etc. I rendered another image using Vray sky. Still got to tweak glass texture and detail the concrete cladding facade sections, but reflections really make all the difference... and increase rendering time ten fold haha

·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thought'd share some uni work I am currently working on... and ask for advice on rendering stone

My scheme is for 7 multi-generational PassivHaus certified hillside terraces. Initial model of one of the lower terraces. A block and timber construction clad in natural stone, flame burnt western red cedar with high performance black tinted curtain wall glazing with bronze anodised aluminium window detailing. Still looking for a way to render the stone, is it a case of using a different texture. For the wood, I modelled each panel... I dont plan to do this for the stone.

·
12,363 Posts
If you want to make the stone look realistic in a physically based rendering engine, you need to use normal and roughness maps in addition to the diffuse texture you already have. There is lots of free textures online that come with all these textures and are pretty much "plug and play". They might even include a height map which can be used for actual geometry displacement so each individual stone has a 3D shape. This can be a bit more bothersome to set up, but it's not that hard. Either way, I recommend watching some online tutorials on how to use PBR materials specifically in the renderung engine you are using.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts