SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3D Cinema ??? anyone ?

Anyone have any news about this? i heard about it a while back, that they were building one .... anyone know anything about it ??????

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
yeah i guess Imax is the one

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i am not quit sure, but I know that IMAX isnt a 3D cinema, its more like a concaved shape screen, that surrounds the audience,
cause i've been to an IMAX theatre in Quebec, it was just a normal screen that is shaped like half a circle,
however, 3D is way beyond that,
anyway, i could be wrong, if anyone has anymore info, please add it here

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh ok, iguess imax is different to different people

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,971 Posts
sure the imax would be 3d style most of them are

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nakheel signs deal for IMAX theatre in Gardens Shopping Mall
Nakheel, Dubai's uniquely focused property development company, today announced they have signed a deal with IMAX Corporation, the world leader in large format entertainment technology, for two IMAX theatres in Dubai.

Nakheel has signed a deal for two IMAX theatres in Dubai, the first of which will be located in The Gardens Shopping Mall. Pictured here sealing the deal is Wahid Attalla, Director of Operations, Nakheel (centre left) and Patrice Rochas, Vice President, General Manager, IMAX Theatre Systems, EMEA. (centre right).
The first theatre will be located in the Gardens Shopping Mall, which is currently under development by Nakheel. The location of the second theatre is yet to be announced. The agreement also stipulates that Nakheel has the sole franchise rights for IMAX® theatres in Dubai.

IMAX theatres deliver larger than life, breath-taking, crystal clear images projected onto screens that span up to 8 stories high and 120 feet wide. The images are enhanced by a superb specially-designed six-channel sound system comprised of 44 custom speakers that extract 12,000 watts of pure digital surround sound.

'We want the multiplexes in our developments to stand out by offering a compelling form of entertainment that is unique and immersive - The IMAX Experience® is the ideal choice,' said Wahid Attalla, Director of Operations for Nakheel. 'The IMAX theatres will enable these multiplexes to offer moviegoers not only the best Hollywood event films presented in the best possible way, but also traditional IMAX and IMAX® 3D films, which are famous around the world for being extraordinarily entertaining and educational.'

'We are thrilled to partner with Nakheed LLC to bring the world's most advanced cinematic experience to the UAE,' said Larry O'Reilly, IMAX Corporation's Senior Vice President, Theatre Development and Film Distribution. 'Launching the first IMAX theatre in Dubai is an ideal way to introduce The IMAX Experience to moviegoers in this region.'

The 15/70 film format used by IMAX is ten times larger than a conventional 35mm film and three times larger than a standard 70mm film. The sheer size of a 15/70 film frame, combined with the unique IMAX projection technology, is the key to the extraordinary sharpness and clarity of films exhibited in IMAX theatres.

IMAX Corporation has recently developed revolutionary technology called IMAX® DMR™ (Digital Re-mastering) that makes it possible for virtually any 35mm film to be transformed into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience. Through IMAX DMR, movie-goers can experience the larger than life adventure, drama and emotion of their favorite Hollywood films, such as The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions.

The first IMAX theatre in The Gardens Shopping Mall is expected to open in November 2004. The second IMAX theatre is expected to open December 2006 at a yet to be announced location.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Well at the same time I posted, the answer to my question was :D hehe. The opening dates aren't correct, well atleast that 2004 one.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but i guess the opening dates have changed . . . . probably everything is postponed a year

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,971 Posts
movies in Dubai are already over priced ! expect it to be like 30% more so?
I dont know here its like 12-18 for the movies and i think like 26 or so for the IMAX

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how are they over priced, actually they are evenly priced with north american cenima's ,
when i was in ottawa, i used to pay $10 (canadian dollars) / movie, and in dubai and i pay 30 dirhams a movie,
which is exactly the same price
i would expect the imax to run at approx. 50 to 70 dirhams / movie, which is still ok, since i paid around 25$ (Canadian) in Quebec to watch an Imax movie , which is equal to 75 dirhams....
i also read an article saying that it Imax theatre will open in Jan 2006...

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,971 Posts
yes but you just cant compare to price in the USA
it has to based on averge income spending power, cost percentage profit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts