SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So basically, because we have nothing to loose, we are announcing new competition. This time a quicky. 3 weeks till deadline, and more specific description.

Okay guys, here are the rules:

[Google Maps - this is the exact point/area, in this forest!]

Norwegian GIS map:
[3DS] (lower quality)
and
[FBX]
The cube is 200x200(x200)m!
Dubai Skyscraper's Sketchup file with the terrain:
https://mega.nz/#!UVt2mIBZ!Id2yZ0me9GEcRtFv-WW11xSHERNmnWVzK0f7yEiSzs0

Purpose of this location:
None, just randomly chosen one.

Specification:
Green/Forest area with with hills.

Max. Floor area (brutto):
250m2

Users:
Family model 2+2.

Room program:
Open.

What you need to deliver:
- Floor plan(s) (it means one floor plan per each floor)
- Two sections
 (you should choose two most specific ones)
- 4-8 renderings (at least two from the interior)
- Short description of the project - upto 500 letters including spaces.

All the illustrations should have 1280px on width!

You should also give at least most basic dimensions of the building (it would be the best to put them on the floor plans).

You can cut off some trees but it would not recommended to go too extreme. It would be great to also get to know with local materials and so on.

Optional:
- You can add up to 4 other illustrations showing something specific in the building that can add some value to the project (sketches, simulations, whatever you want - if you want of course :)).

Deadline:
20th of August 23:00 CET

Voting:
Via forum poll, from 22nd to 26th of August (poll will close at 23:00 CET).

You are free to put here all your WIP (Work In Progress) works :). If you want to submit final work just post it with the words at the beginning:
[Final submission].

As a final words - this time I am not adding any inspirations at all. Each of us know how to use Google :).

PS. About the sections and floor plans - it can be done from Sketchup or even from Paint ;). Or even a pictures of a hand drawings of those :). It is not a proffesional architecture competition so it can be done in whatever way you want :). It is just to see what is the functionality of the building, nothing else :).

·
12,412 Posts
I'm currently figuring out the best way to get a model of the area. Google Maps/Earth has a wonderful 3D model but it seems to be impossible to download.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The model doesn't have to be exactly the same as is in the Google Maps since Google Maps is completely innacurate. It just would be great to preserved or recreate more or less the atmosphere of the place. Basically you need to create hilly site :).

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
lol

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
This is the best I could get, don't know if it will be enough, or if it will even look decent

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's why I told you that Google Maps is not the best for making import-export terrain :D. Usually incline of 30% it showing as a 5-10% :D.

BTW - I forgot that Norway has an open of GIS maps. I downloaded the DEM file and converted it to 3DS (but it lower quality) and FBX. The cube is 200x200(x200)m! I am adding those to the main post :).

·
12,412 Posts
It took a dozen attempts to download the fbx file because the download fails most of the time (and is also extremely slow). After all this struggle it doesn't even open in Blender...

·
12,412 Posts
^^
Geez, just show us the real thing. It would be very helpful to see how a professional is tackling a project from the idea to the renderable model ;)

--------------------------

I have some idea for the massing, definitely going to build something modern, glassy on a hill side...

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Okay, I may add (in a time more) some stuff that are driving me for this project. But it will be a very big "quick" overview.

[Analysis]
[1. Site and context]
I checked the site and the surroundings. This is what I see:

So I checked also the other surroundings to check if the pattern of the house is simillar.

Conclusion: (I won't directly write it for you, I will just give a hints from my thinking) There is something specific in this architecture. It is not about "old traditional buildings". Rather the details, overall shapes and so on. And why those are like they are (what is the purpose, maybe there is a specific reason).

Because this just a forum competition, I am not going more into details like the local kommune's plans for this area and stuff. The same goes with traffic and local funtions. But still, as for this 3D thread I can still consider local...

[2. Vegetation]

On this part I am focusing mainly on 2 things. Local vegetation and overall Norwegian vegetation. As far as mixed-types of trees are concerned, actually the majority of them are pinewoods (secondary are spruces). Those are also, more or less, the majority in the area of competition's site. There are also some birches.

What I also see is the fact that this area heavily dense in trees.

[3. Climate]
I checked quickly number of light hours (without inluding the weather) during the winter time and summer time. And the height of the sun during that time. During the winter sun is rising just for few hours above 7 degrees. In the summer It is around 53 degrees. And of course this is just for the flat terrain. Without any trees and shading.

The cloud cover is pretty dense with around 20-24% of clear skies. That is not a lot. Precipitation is pretty big - around 55-58% in this area. So majority of the year. Of course huge part of it is in winter (snow). This means that the building may need to be prepared for big amount of precipitation in the meaning of taking it somehow (shape of the roof for example).

The temperatures - I checked them but I will just treat this building as for nordic region so I won't write you any boring essay here ;).

=================================

I won't put any analyze-sections since the terrain is hard to specify right now and it is also not that important for anybody here right now ;).

Those above are of course shortened version of thinking for this small project. Usually the process behind the real competition/client project is way, way different / more organised and includes way more ingredients.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Regarding the houses; the white one i picture #4 is the only old house built in the traditional style of the southern coast of Norway (I would guess it is from somewhere around 1860-1900), but as you can see there aren't many of them. Like in the rest of the world, local bulding customs ("Byggeskikk") has been almost non-existent in Norway after WWII. The rest of the buildings are 60s and 70s catalogue houses similar to those found all over Norway + one or two newer catalogue houses.

Since this is almost as far south as you can get in Norway, it is (relatively) warm. If it is sunny and from 10 C and warmer, people like to sit outside from as early as April so a wind-shaded, but sunny outside space is gold.

As you say the vegetation is mostly pine and leaf-trees. Spruce have yet to naturally spread to western and southern Norway, since it arrived in Norway ~10 000 years ago it has only spread to the eastern regions, Trøndelag and some places in Nordland.

·
Taking On The World
26,331 Posts
I may or may not participate. Let's see. I think there are just too many requisites considering the timeline and real life.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
I'm still not sure if I'll be able to do anything, I've got very little free time now... Let's put my participation on a standby.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am a bit delayed - I have just moved to CPH and barely have any time - BUT I will still continue to participate in the competition :). Once I will get just a bit of free time, I will upload some WIP :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts