SkyscraperCity banner

621 - 639 of 639 Posts

·
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #623
Aurora back to life! Awesome renders:geek:
Thanks! I wish I could actually bring back the entire project and not just one of the buildings. But that's not at all feasible as a one man project at this level of detail.

-----------

Today I played around with adaptive displacement for the steel cables. I only did the vertical ones as you can see. The result is not perfect, but it's a huge step froward from before. I can also simply increase the mesh subdivision to give it more accurate displacement. I also adjusted the exposure for interior renders as the previous renders were clearly too dark :)

Test035 by Dubai Skyscraper, on Flickr

Test036 by Dubai Skyscraper, on Flickr

Test037 by Dubai Skyscraper, on Flickr

·
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #628
It's doing an amazing job, I didn't even notice a performance decline even with relatively high subdivision counts. This is in part because I made a small section of the cable (4cm to be precise) and stacked many instances to make long cables. If you don't optimize it like that, you are going to pay with increased memory usage eventually.

·
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #629
Last bunch of interior renders for now. I'll work on the basic shape of the podium next and then move on to the structural elements of the main tower.

Test039 by Dubai Skyscraper, on Flickr

Test040 by Dubai Skyscraper, on Flickr

Test038 by Dubai Skyscraper, on Flickr

Guys if you have any ideas regarding interior design, specifically for a hotel lobby, please let me know. I have a certain plan for it that involves a giant vertical aquarium, but I'm very much clueless about the rest. The aquarium is also not my original idea but inspired by xdexina's initial design. I'm not exactly sure if he planned it to be a literal aquarium or some decorative art on the walls though :)

·
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #632
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely take it into consideration. It looks pretty awesome, I'm just not sure if it will work as great in a vertical scenario. It would also be incredibly easy to replicate, while an aquarium is a monster task.

·
Dex for friends
1,786 Posts
Heeeeeey! This is so amazing @Dubai Skyscraper
The level of detail is insane :)

When I designed I thought exactly what @Mike____ had in mind, because I believed one of the original plans of the 4WTC Lobby plans featured a LCD Screen Wall that was scrapped. It would make a massive oceanarium feel...

But if I would do it in the present I would definitely do something more modest... like polished stone
Something like the late designs by Foster + Partners and some Apple store designs are most in-line with my current taste.

Thank you for doing this :)

·
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #635
Thanks dex,especially for the creative input. Much appreciated :)

I'm not entirely sure where to take this project. There are lots of options and I feel very overwhelmed with the interior design (haven't done that before at all). It will be lots of trial and error for sure, until I get better at it.

·
Registered Kibitzer
164 Posts
Jesus wept while firing his Barrett Mark 82, DubaiSkyscraper...I turn my back for a minute and you jumped up multiple levels of badass. If something you design isn't built somewhere around the planet in the next ten years I will be surprised. I won't dignify my rusty, fumbling attempts at Sketchup to even your first work, so I bow to the master.

·
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #639
Thank you for the comments, guys. Much appreciated!

Unfortunately I'm a little busy with work and stuff right now, and with summer around the corner it is unlikely I will have much time for 3D modeling over the next months either...

Jesus wept while firing his Barrett Mark 82, DubaiSkyscraper...I turn my back for a minute and you jumped up multiple levels of badass. If something you design isn't built somewhere around the planet in the next ten years I will be surprised. I won't dignify my rusty, fumbling attempts at Sketchup to even your first work, so I bow to the master.
Thanks! But you give me too much credit, I'm just an average 3D artist at best :) And my first works were super basic and unrealistic too. My only advantage is that I've been doing this for quite a long time (10 years with interruptions!). So, don't give up or be disheartened by the work of others. They too were beginners once :)

Besides, most of my stuff is based off other people's works. The concept design of Tivoli Hotel (the project I've been posting about lately) is the ingenious work of xdexina. I'm merely adding all the details (which is a lot of work, too, but more of a laborious task than a creative process). I don't think my 3D creations will ever be build anywhere around the world. After all, I chose to abandon my studies on architecture long ago and instead became a software architect :)

621 - 639 of 639 Posts