SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 612 Posts

·
Virtual Architect
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SAN CHRISTOPH

Since the completion of Chrisheem I have been thinking about a new city - San Christoph. Updates will be few at present, but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day! The main issue I had with Chrisheem (apart from its size) was the lack of any real organised plan. Buildings tended to sprout in various areas giving the skyline a haphazard feel. The other criticism I had was Chrisheem was not a city I personally would like to live in. There was too much emphasis on towering structures and freeways with not enough consideration for the street level and smaller scale areas. With San Christoph I want to address this discrepency and create a city I personally would like to live in.

There will also be more consideration for the history of the city - San Christoph I have decided will have old buildings as well as shiny new ones - and the placement of towers in relation to period structures. Don't worry this city will not be anti-skyscraper, far from it, I just want to go along a more considered approach with the old and new working together.

Finally I have no plans to take member designs, not for the foreseeable future anyway.

I am using google earth imagery collaged together to form an imaginary location. The following images show the location for San Christoph, which will be placed on an island/mainland setting. A map will follow for members to better understand the geography. I have nearly completed the modelling of the terrain on the island, the next major part will be creating the terrain on the mainland.

I should be getting the latest version of Cinema 4D next week (fingers crossed), which has improved render times and virtual memory, so who knows maybe San Christoph will eventually be a challenger for Chrisheems size.

·
Requiscat en pace
8,051 Posts
You cant build on such a beautifull, pristine, tropical location!!

Who am i kidding, cranes away!!. Could you please just allow one member design per person, i wanted to build a building in chrisheem, but then you closed the forum!:cry::cry:

i promise i wont go too high:eek:kay:

Where exactly is this place located?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice to see a new city sprouting up, Chrisheem was fantastic.
I will look forward to it growing, your designs were great.

Nice location too, having the city split between island and mainland is a cool idea.

·
Non-registered User!
2,671 Posts
I hope this will be better than Chrisheem. But this time please dont start to build supertalls or even hypertalls without having enough highrises. ;)

·
Virtual Architect
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The member submissions won't be for a while yet (please don't get too excited), first I need to finish the terrain and start the actual city planning beginning with the old town area. I actually imagined it would be more Singapore like in influence with a definete commercial highrise core, maybe around a bay or harbour. I started doing some conceptual sketches which i may post later.

The terrain is now being modelled on the mainland with the highest point (Mt St Christoph (174m) now formed. I'm pretty happy with the terrain its nearly 5 times more detailed than Chrisheems and has'nt got to many sharp angles. It all looks very rocky and brown though, but I'm hoping to add trees and more green (another criticism of Chrisheem) to soften the city.

Heres some views....

And the same view showing all the polygons.

·
Requiscat en pace
8,051 Posts
looks amazing! where is this location in real life?
Ans when youre done with all that, can we then post designs or do you first want a small little city?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I hope this will be better than Chrisheem. But this time please dont start to build supertalls or even hipertalls without having enough highrises. ;)
yeah i don't really like cities without many highrises or low rises but with alot of supertalls. miami,dallas,LA,houston skyline gives u examples.

1 - 20 of 612 Posts