SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of completely remaking my Glass Tower model (simulated in my Skyscraper simulator), after being generously given a number of original movie design blueprints for the model itself (and more should be coming eventually). The Glass Tower is a fictitious building from the movie The Towering Inferno, and if you've seen the movie, the entire building isn't really shown (especially the elaborate plaza base, and the back was never modeled). Here's my archive of stuff relating to the building and the movie, including blueprints, original model photos and more.

Anyway, the design of the current one (which is being redone) was originally done by Michael Jehn, based on enormous amounts of guesswork, and ended up being incredibly close to the original movie design. My simulated model uses a simple flat texture for the exterior, and this won't be the case in the redesign (I'll be adding exterior perimeter columns among other things).

Building info (height based on blueprints):
Height: 1,652 feet (503.53 meters) to roof line (138th floor base), 1673.5 feet (510 meters) total structure height
Fictitious location: 655 Market Street, San Francisco, CA
Floors: 138, including roof

Here's the building in it's fictitious movie location (fullsize here):

Here's a comparison of the original design (top) with Jehn's original design (bottom - modified slightly by me, and the surrounding plaza base portion was done by me) - the blueprints were provided by Joseph Musso, one of the original illustrators for the movie:

Simulated model base (please note that this is still based on the guesswork design):

Anyway, now to the good stuff.

Elevation blueprint:

Closeup of part of that blueprint:

Base plan:

Roof plan:

A few of Joseph Musso's 70-foot model photos:

Some of Scott Crabbe's model photos:

And finally, my Flight Simulator 2004 model:

·
Virtual Architect
2,532 Posts
Wow thats so cool. I remember first seeing towering inferno when i was about 10 and being quite worried about venturing up tall buildings ever since...maybe thats where i get my Acrophobia from! Interesting seeing pics of the 70foot scale model they used for the set. The base plan looks very inspired from 'Frank Lloyd Wrights' later work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thats so cool. I remember first seeing towering inferno when i was about 10 and being quite worried about venturing up tall buildings ever since...maybe thats where i get my Acrophobia from! Interesting seeing pics of the 70foot scale model they used for the set. The base plan looks very inspired from 'Frank Lloyd Wrights' later work.
The base was actually based on John Porman's Hyatt Regency San Francisco, and the lobby of that building is used as the atrium lobby in the movie. I think the rest of the building was supposed to be a mix of that design and Frank Lloyd Wright's "The Illinois" building (the mile-high skyscraper).

Here's the Hyatt:

The resemblance is pretty obvious in those pics - also the street side of the building (3rd and 4th pics) somewhat resemble the main front portion of the tower.

-eventhorizon

·
Registered
585 Posts
A timeless building design, way ahead of time at that time! Somebody please build it!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Here's a July 2017 web page from Matte Shot, a blog about movie special effects that's been around for years, with a lot of good sketches and behind-the-camera photographs of the Glass Tower and Peerless Building. Both were fictional San Francisco skyscrapers created in models up to 70 feet tall which were used for special effects scenes as well as photographed for the San Francisco skyline in the movie, in which they were exposed into the shot of the actual skyline (and actual helicopter) using matte photography and rotoscoping for the movement of the helicopter where it passes in front of the 2 towers.

https://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com/2017/07/forgotten-gems-of-visual-effects-part_19.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts