Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, not the tallest (438m 'only') neither the most famous, but its sleek and elegant design, alongwith its unique 'fishflakes' cladding, made the decision.
Started on St. Valentine's day (just a coincidence), here are the very first steps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Some more realistic rendering.....

Topped out.....

....and, after three weeks of hard work, the crown

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
....and this's the actual state of the project.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beautiful! Did you place those windows one by one?
Unfortunately, yes. I did and I'm still doing that.
3DSMax spacing tool cannot achieve the needed precision (each window needs to be placed and rotated at the same time). Nonetheless, I had a try and realized that the time needed to place them 'automatically' and then to correct the unavoidable errors in placing is more or less the same than placing them manually one by one. Each single floor requires 40-45 mins, as an average.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
5,187 Posts
Hm that's the main reason it's holding me back to create curvy buildings..
I personally dont feel like placing thousands of windows one by one.. yet I envy people who have the patient to do that :D
Awesome work! Love the complicated crown!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hm that's the main reason it's holding me back to create curvy building..
I personally dont feel like placing thousands of windows one by one.. yet I envy people who have the patient to do that :D
Awesome work! Love the complicated crown!
Not all curvy buildings are hard in the same way. For instance, with my Shanghai Tower model, things have been easier, as far this may seem unbelievable to hear.
With ST model, once a floor and its relative cladding was made, it was enough to scale and rotate it of a proper amount to get the next floor, without any need to place windows one by one. Copy, paste, scale and rotate....and it was done.
What makes this one complex is the 'scaled' placement of the windows and the fact the floors haven't the same profile (may look strange, but in ST each floor has the same shape, they're just scaled and rotated).
The crown?....It was a real 'brainsqueezer' :bash:

Anyway, here's how it looks at the moment (cladded down to fl 52 out of 86)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts