1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
122,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Human tide expected to flood affluent coastal cities
Shi Jiangtao
26 May 2005
South China Morning Post

Mainland cities are expected to see an influx of 400 million people from rural areas by 2020, with nearly half flowing into affluent coastal areas, according to a National Development and Reform Commission economist.

Wang Yiming , a vice-president of the commission's macroeconomic research institute, told a forum on Beijing's city planning that three coastal regions - the Pearl River Delta, Yangtze River Delta and the Bohai Rim - had gained more from economic reforms than other areas.

"The three key economic regions, which make up 3 per cent of the country's land area and about 12 per cent of the country's total population, accounted for 40 per cent of the nation's gross domestic product last year," Mr Wang said.

Of the US$60 billion in foreign investment attracted to the mainland, the Yangtze River Delta area earned 42 per cent. As the mainland's two key export bases, the Pearl River Delta and the Yangtze River Delta, accounted for nearly 70 per cent of exports last year.

As a result of the growing disparity between coastal areas and other areas, more migrant workers would flock to Shanghai, Guangdong and Beijing, Mr Wang said.

Chen Huai , director of the Ministry of Construction's Policy Study Centre, told the forum mainland achievements during the past two decades should be partly attributed to the success of its urban planning.

"However, it is also fair to say that almost all the difficulties China faces in its strategic development are closely related to flaws in urban planning, such as real estate, traffic and eviction problems."

He said Beijing municipal authorities had made the correct decision in opting for a multi-centre strategy for its future development.

James Jao, an architect and former New York city planning commissioner, said urban planners needed to pay more attention to sustainable development.

·
→
3,424 Posts
That's exactly what happened to Brazil during the 60's, 70's and 80's: a flood of millions from the countryside to the cities, mainly Sao Paulo, Rio and Belo Horizonte. However, these cities could not absorb, employ and guarantee a good living standard for all that people. Consequentely, slums appeared, crime increased, urban problems showed up. Brazil, at the time, did not have any choice to avoid the problem. Before that, the country did not have a single slum. Today, I won't even comment. I hope China will be strong enough to avoid the problem.

·
A decade and counting
901 Posts
mMm seems like Mexico City about 50 years earlier. This isn't exactly a good thing. Like shosho said, hope that China will be able to support all these people.

·
→
3,424 Posts
Yeah, but your flood is going to be out of 400 million people. But hey, China isnt democratic, rite? And with ironfist, what can't you do? True! It will be far easy for the chinese to control their slave labor force population and avoid slums.

By the way, "japan ,sin.taiwan.HK,mac,korea" all together doesnt even get close to Brazil and Mexico population, you jerk. I want to see you idiot offensive asians do that in Vietnam, Laos, Camboja, Phillipines, Bangladesh, Indonesia, India, etc etc etc. And tell those illiterate huge mass of people that CONDOMS and contraceptive pills exist!

·
Banned
274 Posts
Latin l0cO said:
mMm seems like Mexico City about 50 years earlier. This isn't exactly a good thing. Like shosho said, hope that China will be able to support all these people.
this is where China's centralized government steps in as a huge benefit. ya'll are so prone to criticize the CCP left right and center but few people actually have the capacity to acknowledge and give much-overdue credit to the government in terms of fostering China's miraculous growth and moving hundreds of millions of people out of poverty over the last decade.

·
Banned
274 Posts
shosho said:
Yeah, but your flood is going to be out of 400 million people. But hey, China isnt democratic, rite? And with ironfist, what can't you do? True! It will be far easy for the chinese to control their slave labor force population and avoid slums.

By the way, "japan ,sin.taiwan.HK,mac,korea" all together doesnt even get close to Brazil and Mexico population, you jerk. I want to see you idiot offensive asians do that in Vietnam, Laos, Camboja, Phillipines, Bangladesh, Indonesia, India, etc etc etc. And tell those illiterate huge mass of people that CONDOMS and contraceptive pills exist!
what crawed up your ass and died?

:stupid:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
shosho said:
I want to see you idiot offensive asians do that in Vietnam, Laos, Camboja, Phillipines, Bangladesh, Indonesia, India, etc etc etc. And tell those illiterate huge mass of people that CONDOMS and contraceptive pills exist!
Idiot offensive asians? Look what you're doing!

·
Geili
944 Posts
shosho said:

Per your strange questions, here are the answers:

1. China is a huge contry with 5,000 years history, plenty of lessons and things to draw from Chinese own philosophy, and China never ever copied western style even the policy-makers made mistakes, the whole nation just went for it, and it is now marching toward a bright 21st century, they 'slave' to his own people, instead of being slave to Americans (in the US) like some of the South American countries, I think you know this better than I do.
That's why the economy is so controlled by western countries, while on the opposite, China makes the western countries feel so determined by its economy because of what you said 'slave labor'. Pretty ironic.

2. Japan's economy is way bigger than the combanation of both Mexico and Brazil, and that's just Japan. Hong Kong and Singapore are the world recoganized Global Financial Centers. Macau is the cashino center that people people compare with Las Vegas.
South Korea GDP on 2003 is 605.3 Billion US dollars while Brazil is 508.6 Billion Dollars(2003) think about the population and the size of Brazil compare with South Korea, shame on Brazil;

3. Vietnam, Laos, Camboja(I think should be Combodia), Phillipines and Indonisia belongs to SE Asia, but compare with those small tiny countries in Latin America, OMG...I even don't know how to name them.
Maybe you heard about Hoi Chi Ming city in Vietnam, and Manila in Phillipines, Jakarta in Indonisia...they are way bigger and developed than the same size (even bigger) nations' Captial in Latin America;

4.Bangladesh, India are South Asian countries, I am not so sure about Bangladesh but heard the people is very tough there. India, a coming up giant in Economy and Politics in the world.

Yes, I luv Cancun in Mexico and Rio in Brazil, beaches and sunshine.
But I can find plenty of that in Thailand and Indonisia or Hainan Island in China and Malaysia...etc in Asia, I don't have to go to South America, right?
If there are full of annoying people like you, are you really in South America, how come the friends I met here or there are so friendly to me (I am a Chinese guy in NYC)?
You seem change some of my impression.

Anyway, I still luv my Latin American friends. (Maybe not you)

·
1,652 Posts
400 Million Rural Peasants to Flood Coastal Chinese Cities by 2020

This is quite nice. It happend here in the US, now in China...I really don't know what to think of China anymore. There so western in so many aspects, but theirs that little thing called the Chinese Communist Party that floats around and keeps me from loving China. Im just worried that with all these people on the coast it will give China even more of an excuse to build a better navy.

Love whats going on, but China needs political reform. :)

·
1,652 Posts
Oh don't compare our government to theres please.

Even if it was that bad here, you'd have a hard time doing it. :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts