·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from 2days tiser

$400m GIANT WIND FARM
By CAMERON ENGLAND
02jun06
SOUTH Australia will be home to the nation's largest wind farm, with the $400 million expansion of the Lake Bonney wind farm in the South-East.

Babcock and Brown Wind Partners last night announced it would spend another $400 million installing 53 more wind turbines, which will generate 159 megawatts of power.

This will add to the 46 towers now at the site, near Millicent.

In total, the completed wind farm will provide enough energy to power more than 130,000 homes.

The new turbines, on 80m high towers - just 7m shorter than the Hyatt Regency Hotel building in Adelaide - are expected to be finished by mid-2008. The current 67m high towers caused problems for firefighters in January, when a fire sparked by an electrical fault proved hard to put out because the tops of the towers were out of reach.

The fire also triggered an automatic shutdown of the facility during a heatwave, contributing to blackouts which left 63,000 homes without energy.

SA leads the nation in wind power, with sites also at Starfish Hill, Canunda, Wattle Point and Cathedral Rocks, with another planned for Hallett in the Mid North.

A spokesman for Infrastructure Minister Pat Conlon said it was another example of South Australia leading the way in wind farm development.

"While other states have problems getting wind farms off the ground, this is another example of SA leading the way," he said.

"This state already has 51 per cent of the nation's wind energy and this will further add to our capacity."

Wind Partners chief executive Peter O'Connell said the Lake Bonney wind farm was something to be proud of.

"The Lake Bonney wind farms are located on a world class wind site and are being built on a world class scale," he said. "Australia can be proud of this very significant contribution to the world's renewable energy generating capacity."

Company chairman Peter Hofbauer said: "The construction of the second stage of the Lake Bonney asset, which enjoys strong community support, will create the largest wind farm in Australia and one of the largest wind farms in the world.

"(This development) highlights the huge potential for investment in wind energy in Australia in a global market that is forecast to attract over $173 billion of investment in the five years to 2010."

Construction of the new turbines will start immediately and take about 18 months.

The Lake Bonney development trumps AGL's $263 million, 45 turbine Hallett wind farm, which is expected to be finished by December 2007.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The new turbines, on 80m high towers - just 7m shorter than the Hyatt Regency Hotel building in Adelaide - are expected to be finished by mid-2008.
I had no idea, those towers were that fringing high, thankgod there not being built in a scenic location or in greater adelaide

80m is massssssssssssive

btw im shocked that the residents there are supportive over this huge wind farm

·
Registered
77,336 Posts
excellent. im all for wind farms, great energy alternative.its a perfect idea to utilize the windy conditions in some of the isolated spots around OZ.
SA seems to be home to many?
The tallest wind towers atm are also in SA being the 85m Mount Millar windfarm turbines, blades reaching 120m/400ft!!
heres another windfarm thread>
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=8698187#post8698187

FACT-wind farm pwer is now the fastest growing form of renewable energy throughout the world!

·
Registered
118 Posts
i think this is awesome. 130,000 homes, that probably equates to about 250,000 people.

build another 3 or 4 like this, and you have domestic power for all of Adelaide.

seems too good to be true. whats the catch?

...and

who needs Uranium enrichment?
why are we even considering it? does the Federal government have friends in high places in BHP or other companies likely to profit from such a move?

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
I love it. A great step forward, show casing what can be achieved by not constantly thinking about profits driven by fuel dependancy.

But hang on a minute?? Why build wind farms when we can have good old rootin tootin pollutin nuclear power plants that cost loads more than wind farms and could blow up at any point?

Since we have most of our population close to the coast, what about tidal power generation?

More investment needs to go into improving the technology used for these kinds of things so we can better harvest the power we get from them. Whatever happened to putting solar panels or tiles on your roof to help provide your own electricity? The govt. could easily subsidise this for homes like they did with the LPG subsidisation. Seriously, there is not enough govt. effort or investment in serious fuel alternatives, yet they want to put billions of dollars into nuclear?!?!?! Money hungry bastards.

·
Registered
296 Posts
With wind farms don't you only get energy when its actually windy?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
It's wishful thinking that SA will be wind power dependant for its electricity. The provided wind power will need a backup energy source, which in Australia would predominantly be provided by coal.

·
Registered
77,336 Posts
vishalt said:
With wind farms don't you only get energy when its actually windy?
the locations of windfarms are scrutized for years.the main reason why there location is chosen is due to constant strong winds. so the turbines are always turning and you guessed it, always generating power!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
even if it could provide 50% it would make a major difference. i wonder what percentage of time they are producing maximum output.

interesting reading in Wiki about wind farms and seeing that the "neutrality of the section is disputed"

and this excerpt (source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
On top of this if the standby generators are running on fossil fuels the CO2 savings made by wind farms are substantially, if not completely, diminished. It is for these reasons that wind farms can only operate through government subsidies or grants.

how could the CO2 savings be completely diminished? am i missing something?

i dont know why we're not building these things out in the ocean or at least on the coast in Australia where the wind is more reliable.

...they also use reservoirs to stored pumped water, but this would require some undulation or mountain for the water to flow back down. pretty flat in the SE.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
Wind farms are probably not efficient enough for wide scale use in a major city but at least they can help reduce the need for burning fossil fuels. And if enough money goes into research then we maybe able to find ways of making them more efficient and better power storage techniques to do away with back up generators.

I'd like to see a report on the energy output vs the cost of the different types of energy production (an unbiased one). It would be interesting to see if nuclear would be cheaper than wind farms or other alternatives.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Would be awesome if we got rid of our ancient 1990 buses too, **** those things blow the most dirtiest smoke.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I don't really have a problem with nuclear energy, as long as there are safeguards and the latest technology is used to monitor them and produced the required energy; but then I've been living in countries where nuclear power is a way of life for over a decaqde now, and just over the border from HK, the Chinese are building one the worlds largest nuclear power plants (just hope they make it safer than their coal mines!).

I think wind farms are a great idea of reducing reliance on fossil fuels or coal, but as Ryan said you can't really use them to power large cities, not unless you want to give up large sections of coastline in the most suitable and often the prettiest of locations.

·
Registered
77,336 Posts
the first use of a wind turbine on a skyscraper in Australia will eventualy be the 35storey- 720 george street in sydney. Its 20m turbine tower will be used to generate power for street level areas and entrance lighting to the bldg. its not much but its a start and saving some power.Its also dif to see your typical spire or antenna but a working instrument.
Not many people realize but Sydney is a very windy city, perfect for these type of structures.
720 george st turbines>
http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=214191

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Loopy70 said:
even if it could provide 50% it would make a major difference. i wonder what percentage of time they are producing maximum output.

interesting reading in Wiki about wind farms and seeing that the "neutrality of the section is disputed"

and this excerpt (source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
On top of this if the standby generators are running on fossil fuels the CO2 savings made by wind farms are substantially, if not completely, diminished. It is for these reasons that wind farms can only operate through government subsidies or grants.

how could the CO2 savings be completely diminished? am i missing something?

i dont know why we're not building these things out in the ocean or at least on the coast in Australia where the wind is more reliable.
The problem with wind power is that the energy produced is not consistent, hence the need for a backup. The fossil fuels that would need to be used as a backup release CO2 into the air, which counteracts the argument that wind power will reduce our dependence on fossil fuels.

It is possible to build wind farms out at sea. The Netherlands completed one a few years ago some 5km or so from it's coast. The problem is though is that it needs to be situated in shallow water, on a sand bar not too far below the surface.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Excellent news this. Long overdue, but could to see it's finally happening.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts