Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2018/01/42-storey-addition-proposed-office-building-415-yonge

42-Storey Addition Proposed for Office Building at 415 Yonge
January 3, 2018 5:10 pm | by Nathan Petryshyn | 33 Comments
A rezoning application has been submitted to the City of Toronto for 415 Yonge Street, proposing a 42-storey residential addition above the existing 19-storey office building. The site includes 409 through to 415 Yonge Street, as well as 9 and 17 McGill Street. Designed by Kirkor Architects & Planners for the Marwest Group of Companies, the addition would rise to a final height of 239.35 metres, increasing residential density along the Yonge subway line.

415 Yonge Street designed by Kirkor Architects & Planners, Toronto
Looking south-west to 415 Yonge street, image via Kirkor Architects & Planners

The sculptural addition rises from the 20th floor to a final height of 61 storeys, with a “pinch” design around mid height. To create visual interest, translucent bands across the north and south massing cut through the glass facade and an angular vertical design is seen rising up the east elevation. Two interstitial floors between the existing tower and addition would be included for structural and mechanical support.

Base of 415 Yonge Street, image via Kirkor Architects & Planners

The addition would bring 450 residential rental units to the Yonge Street corridor, with 304 one-bedrooms, 94 two-bedrooms and 52 three-bedrooms. Although no balconies nor outdoor amenity space is proposed, 900m² of indoor amenity space is included in the plans. The existing building's below-grade garage would see a reassignment of parking spaces, with 73 existing spaces to be shared between residents and office workers and 16 of these designated as car share spaces. 577 bicycle parking spaces will be added, 457 of these for long term resident storage and 120 for short term use.

Mid-section of 415 Yonge Street, image via Kirkor Architects & Planners

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've accidentally made 2 threads I messed up the title on the first one and tried to edit it but I ended up making a new thread about the same development.

·
39,226 Posts
I deleted the other thread. Btw, check the template of how thread titles should look in this section. It should be Name | Stage | Number of Floors | Height in Metres | Neighbourhood. It's done so that the relevant information is in the title and in a familiar format to the user. I cleaned it up for you.

Hope you didn't mind and welcome to SSC. :)

·
39,226 Posts
Looks quite slick. No balconies helps.

Courtesy of CTBUH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I deleted the other thread. Btw, check the template of how thread titles should look in this section. It should be Name | Stage | Number of Floors | Height in Metres | Neighbourhood. It's done so that the relevant information is in the title and in a familiar format to the user. I cleaned it up for you.

Hope you didn't mind and welcome to SSC. :)
Thank you so much for fixing up the thread and for the welcome :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I was wondering when a thread about this beauty was going to be created... sorry I was too lazy but I kept checking lol.

This is such a unique building I love it and the best part is NO BALCONIES!!!!! Lets get it built! Density in this area is gonna be crazy soon!

·
39,226 Posts
I was wondering when a thread about this beauty was going to be created... sorry I was too lazy but I kept checking lol.

This is such a unique building I love it and the best part is NO BALCONIES!!!!! Lets get it built! Density in this area is gonna be crazy soon!
I have a love/hate relationship with balconies. I love mine but they take away from the attractiveness of a building's exterior. I like this design but don't expect it to remain the same. 95% of the time when I see a design I like they design out the bits I like till they get something boring.

With 42 floors proposed on top of this building one has to wonder how much longer the building to its north will stay the same. They can take that one completely down though.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with balconies. I love mine but they take away from the attractiveness of a building's exterior. I like this design but don't expect it to remain the same. 95% of the time when I see a design I like they design out the bits I like till they get something boring.

With 42 floors proposed on top of this building one has to wonder how much longer the building to its north will stay the same. They can take that one completely down though.
The building to the north is subsidized senior housing. Might be a bit politically tricky to remove it.

As for 415 Yonge, please just tear that great ugly thing down. I fail to see any redeeming features in it other than it was built before the all-glass nonsense of today kicked in. It was aggressively ugly when it was erected and time has not diminished that one iota.

·
39,226 Posts
The building to the north is subsidized senior housing. Might be a bit politically tricky to remove it.

As for 415 Yonge, please just tear that great ugly thing down. I fail to see any redeeming features in it other than it was built before the all-glass nonsense of today kicked in. It was aggressively ugly when it was erected and time has not diminished that one iota.
I was surprised they're attempting to save the base. Just because it's there doesn't mean we need it as a marker for eternity. Makes one wonder if in 40 years people will try to save Velocity at the Square, West One, or Success Tower. Don't remember them? Probably because you tried to forget them.

Moving the subsidized seniors has bad optics but I imagine this will happen. They'd have to be accommodated but the land is too valuable for it to remain as is much longer. Is it city owned?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Moving the subsidized seniors has bad optics but I imagine this will happen. They'd have to be accommodated but the land is too valuable for it to remain as is much longer. Is it city owned?
I'm not sure if the City owns it though I suspect it might. Who else builds affordable housing?

·
Registered
244 Posts
The new tower looks fine but the way that the existing 415 Yonge is subsumed into this proposed addition looks ridiculous to me. Also having worked once at 415 Yonge, the scale of the new tower seems to be way out of wack. According to the rendering the new tower would have a width about equal to the elevator core of the existing office building and from personal experience the existing building does not have a very large floor plate relatively speaking. Also from a structural standpoint I don't see how this would work. If they are really planning on adding 42 floors on top of the existing 19 floor office tower they would have to build a very robust exoskeleton around all four sides of the existing office tower (similar to what is being done at 55 University) .

·
Registered
244 Posts
For what this land is worth the city could build housing for many many more needy seniors than are currently accommodated in this building. It's insane for TCHC to have a building like this on such valuable land.

·
39,226 Posts
With so much money at stake it will likely happen. They need to make sure these seniors aren't displaced from downtown though. Turning the core into an enclave for the rich only is problematic; it needs to be for everyone.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The good news is Kirkor has designed something good, quirky and ultimately... a looker.

The bad news is I don't see how this will be built as rendered if the developers hired Kirkor.

Saving even a brick of 416 seems like a mis-guided planning ploy. It's not a heritage building or even a building of note. Whatever works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts