SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Looking good... Nothing spectacular, but its a good location for a tall with the adjacent ITN and Shell towers... Could become a pinnacle for a new cluster there.

A guy on my Open University course is a Planner for Lambeth, I'll see if I can get anything from the horses mouth so to speak (abouth this and the Vauxhall proposals).

·
Futurist
38,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other towers planned nearby -

Beetham Tower (220m)

20 Blackfriars Road (176m)

We don't actually know what it looks like yet, but we know the height. It's the green tower shown below (Beetham is blue).

"The Three Sisters" (140m)

And the existing King's Reach Tower is getting a reclad, plus a height increase to 130m

·
Futurist
38,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't "love" this tower. I just don't think it's as "hideous" or destructive to the skyline as you keep insisting it'll be in the UK forum. It's just a normal, average skyline filler, which is something that's sorely lacking amongst London's many "unique" and wacky proposals - it will add a nice bit of height and density to the South Bank, and won't be yet another Gherkin, cheese grater, helter skelter, toothbrush, broccoli, piano, etc...

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
I think its hideous but it'll be a help at filling the spots on London's skyline. Seems like everything going up there is now glass.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
wjfox2002 said:
I don't "love" this tower. I just don't think it's as "hideous" or destructive to the skyline as you keep insisting it'll be in the UK forum. It's just a normal, average skyline filler, which is something that's sorely lacking amongst London's many "unique" and wacky proposals - it will add a nice bit of height and density to the South Bank, and won't be yet another Gherkin, cheese grater, helter skelter, toothbrush, broccoli, piano, etc...
I think you are learning,(i'm on your side Wj) that not every tower can be a gem. Sometimes the whole is better then the few because of projects like these.

·
Another 300m+ please!
431 Posts
i agree, this tower is cool, nothing too 'far out', but this is also a good thing as mentioned. good news :)

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Marcanadian said:
Did somebody say Tower 42? It looks exactly alike.
I can see a slight parallel, but the floorplates are completely different; Tower 42 is a vaguely triangular polygon with three 'wings';

It is rumoured that its design was to mirror the logo of the National Westminster (NatWest) Bank logo, but this is supposedly just a happy coincidence (Tower 42 was the Natwest Tower until it became Tower 42)

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
I really quite like it. Very slender and sleek. Just hope that if it is built the cladding will be top class.

·
Neon overdose
3,993 Posts
Not bad.. but so lonely there. But well, maybe with time that zone will be another City.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts