Skyscraper City Forum banner
21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
39,870 Posts
I actually like the existing building. There's no need to cover it in cladding.
I do too. I hope they keep the original cladding of the office building and continue it up to the top for the whole building. The only thing I'd change (if possible) is the awkward first floor which is about 6 ft above street level.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
I actually like the existing building. There's no need to cover it in cladding.
It's a mess up close, most of the concrete panels have steel rods inserted to keep them from falling off the building. It's not aging well. I love how it looks as well but when you get up close to it you can see it's in need of a lot of work.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
The name is Icon and Core has released some new renders for us.

From Blog T.O -

City
New condo proposed on top of University office tower
Posted by Robyn Urback / January 18, 2013

Either we've run out of decent spots to build new condos, or the corner of University and Dundas is just too good a spot to pass up. The City of Toronto has received a rezoning application to build a residential tower on top of an existing office at 480 University Avenue.

Presented as "The Icon" by Amexon Developments back in May (real original name, guys), the building will see a total of 55 storeys — 37 storeys of residential added atop an existing 18 storey tower. If approved, the new tower will house 453 residential units, many of which will face the joys of 24-hour, multi-lane traffic.

Proximity to the subway station is an undeniable perk, but University Ave. isn't exactly a hub of residential delights. That probably explains why most of its towers are office spaces or commercial in nature. Unless the existing tower at 480 University is grounded with some sort of mega-existing foundation, I think we can anticipate a pretty major overhaul to make this structure capable of supporting another 37 storeys.

more here: http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/01/new_condo_proposed_on_top_of_university_office_tower/

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,865 Posts
Looks much better after dark than in the daytime. That's a major warning sign.

·
39,870 Posts
This building just doesn't work for me. The podium looks good by itself, but ridiculous paired with the tower. Either go with a less fussy version of the podium and carry the design to the very top of the tower (Tour Verre), or scrap the whole design and start again.

Tour Verre is obviously a far more expensive building, but if you're going to incorporate that type of design feature you need to spend the money to get it right.

As this isn't a super high end project, they're better off cleaning the slate and coming up with something completely different.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
This building just doesn't work for me. The podium looks good by itself, but ridiculous paired with the tower.
You've put your finger exactly on it. The podium and the tower look like they were designed by two architects and then B jammed on top of A. Now...
had they carried on the theme of the podium for the entire tower, then we might be talking.

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,865 Posts
Yes, having the building be white would look great. At the very least, they should have the balconies be white.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
woo! podium is gorgeous
Yes it is nice! Is it just me or does the podium kinda look like the Ryerson Student Learning Centre they're working on (which looks like an iceberg to me) at Yonge & Gould but on a smaller scale? Forest in a blizzard perhaps?

Transplant the podium to whatever they have planned for the southeast corner of Yonge & Gould for some sort of symmetry. Go back to the drawing board for this location.

It is nice that they'd consider incorporating the entrance to St. Patrick station in the redevelopment. I guess if you're going to eventually make the station accessible, you could have the redeveloper cover some of the cost of access.

21 - 40 of 119 Posts