Skyscraper City Forum banner
41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
I do appreciate the DRP tackling the issue of the office component and addressing the bulkyness of the tower as well, but I really do not like the revised podium or the fact the tower still resembles a sub-par Four Seasons.

·
insertoronto
4,035 Posts
...aaaand, surprise, surprise, it's been cheapened. :sleepy: (at least, the podium has)
not really, I would describe it as redesigned to a more traditional Toronto style handsome. I find it quite similar to Charlie, which seems to be an increasingly prevalent style in the city. Budget wise it looks very similar to the previous one, but now all the money is no longer sunk into the first floor.

It no longer reminds me of the Four Seasons as well, which is always a good thing.

·
Registered
849 Posts
With this kind of simplistic modern design, it will come down to the quality of materials and attention to detail. It surely won't be an "Icon" but it could be a solid if understated design.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Podium is worse but the tower is better. Agreed that the glazing looks better now, too.
As much as I loved the previous podium, it was bizarre how that concept abruptly ended at the podium; why not carry it through the tower design? It was as
if there was no visual connect between the tower and the podium.

·
39,827 Posts
I I find it quite similar to Charlie, which seems to be an increasingly prevalent style in the city.
Which isn't a good thing, imo. I find that type of aesthetic agonizingly vapid.

·
39,827 Posts
^^ I suppose the saving grace is that this is going on University and not some area inundated with towers like that. I just hope this is the only one like this to go up on University. I'd hate for University Avenue to be stripped of its elegant sophistication and end up as sterile and featureless as Southcore.

University Avenue's buildings might be 40 years old, but they're so much nicer than anything on Bremner with the possible exception of the new Delta hotel.

Its what I would call "handsome", it looks damn good, but it doesn't exactly stand out from the crowd. Core and Aa seem to be best at this type of look.
Well there must be some people that like that look or they wouldn't keep building them.

·
Canadiense
1,305 Posts
It just seems too simplified. This is a shame since we recently just got criticized by that British blogger talking about how boring our architecture is. yes, there are some creative projects out there now, but, in general, why can't we thinker bigger and better than just safe and conservative?

·
Registered
70 Posts
^^ I agree.
Don't know how they can call this the "Icon" when there is nothing iconic about it; though it does follow a trend here, "Crystal Blu" isn't blue, the ROM's "Crystal" addition doesn't look like one, etc. I find the existing building so much better than it's pending replacement.

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,865 Posts
Are there really enough millionaires and billionaires in Toronto who are willing to live in highrises for them to dominate a whole major street?

·
39,827 Posts
Millionaires, maybe. Billionaires? Don't we only have 4 or 5?

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Hmmmm.. Toronto has 28% of Canada's millionaires, at 118,000 according to this
British study:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/05/09/toronto_has_118000_millionaires.html

That is more than Chicago, Houston, Mexico City, Moscow, Shanghai, and perhaps most surprisingly only 8 less than Los Angeles. Less than half of London's, which is more than I would have guessed, too. Most of those cities are a lot bigger than T.O. so I would say we are punching above our weight. According to that study, it also places "the city 15th among the world’s top 20 millionaire and multi-millionaire havens".

The above study lists 5 billionaires in Toronto, which is way behind Manhattan's astonishing
70!!! :eek:

From that article:

By the numbers

422,000: millionaires in Canada.

198,000: millionaires in Ontario.

118,000: millionaires in Toronto.

1,184: multimillionaires in Toronto.

5: billionaires in Toronto.

again, check it all out here:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/05/09/toronto_has_118000_millionaires.html

But this other list has 12 billionaires in Toronto in 2012:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadians_by_net_worth

So who knows? :dunno:

41 - 60 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.