Skyscraper City Forum banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
^^ Thanks, Oasis...
I've been pleasantly surprised by this one. It seemed to me that it was all an awful lot of work to convert an older building like this and it seems to me to have taken a long time to do, but the result looks nicer than I had thought it would. Still unsure if it was worthwhile doing all the rigamarole but it is kind of attractive.
Same thing with the old Sutton Place Hotel and the old Four Seasons Hotel; just not sure why they chose to elaborately redo them instead of starting from scratch...

·
39,833 Posts
I imagine a cost/benefit analysis indicated that it was cheaper to do it this way. Demolition is expensive and this way you don't have to re-build 20 floors of building.

·
Interstellar Yet Local
41 Posts
This is a good design and I think they did well on this. I'd like to see more of towers on University and east of here as well...and anywhere and everywhere else they can put them. Of course, I'm biased and you don't want to know what I'd do if I were in charge of planning high rises for the city, ha ha! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
No. The new tower is being built over top of the office tower. Some very large transfer beams will redirect the weight to the edges.
Interesting, I'd like to see more of this from developers. I'm not too familiar with refurbishing old buildings, but I can only think of a few that were changed into condos and I don't remember ever hearing about such a large addition. I'm sure some other people here know more.

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
101 - 119 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.