Posted by androiduk on UT.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Good riddance!

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
My only memories of this strip is dining at Kokyo sushi and walking by that ghetto clothing store with lower body mannequins modelling tight jeans and fake TnA pants. LOL

Otherwise, great to see downtown's most out of place block redevloped. I could see something similar to Murano built here, but with a stronger retail component.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Like Travis, I'm also hoping for a significant retail/restaurant component on Yonge as part of this project.

·
34,369 Posts
This is on top of the subway, right? If so, does that mean that they can't go very tall unless they spend a huge amount of money?

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
This is on top of the subway, right? If so, does that mean that they can't go very tall unless they spend a huge amount of money?

Yeah, it should be this block that the subway crosses over to being under Yonge. But thats fine, something 550 Wellington-style would work best here anyway, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
OH THERE IS A GOD!!!

Can I help tear it down?

How long have those silver pants at the hooker shoe store been in the window?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
By Urbanation:

Lanterra purchases 501 Yonge St for $38.5M, planning two tower development
Yep, as I had predicted for this site (two tower development similar to Murano). Along with their other proposal on Granville, Lanterra sure is taking over this (north of College) section of downtown. (M/B)urano are decent developments, but I'm hoping for a more unique and bolder architectural statement this time, considering its prominent Yonge Street location. A stronger retail component can help boost this strip of Yonge's inconsistent retail quality.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I've always hated this crappy strip. Reminds me of dingy 70's stuff in Vancouver.
Anything would be an improvement, well, except for a parking lot lol.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I agree, I am so glad to see this strip go. I hope we get some nice retail spaces with high ceilings and some bold architecture. Yonge Street is going to be unrecognisable soon. A bit of entertainment, culture, nightlife and fun, would be a nice addition to the street as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
there are some stores along that strip.. that I seriously don't understand where they get their income from... I walk into them - some clothing stores.and they are always empty..and barely have an merchandise in it..

that whole area all the way up to Bloor is in serious need of a makeover..
considering this is a " touristy" location with Yorkville and all.. this all seems like it stalled back in the 1970's.. there is a huge amount of potential.. wonder how this area will look like in 20's years time.. it was long overdue.. better late than never I guess.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts