SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I quite like this. It fits in well with existing buildings while also being modern. It respects St Mary's well too, not detracting from views. Pretty good overall for this awkward site

·
New Nottingham!
11,918 Posts
I really like the look of this development. The High Pavement frontage is in keeping with the other buildings but with a modern and contemporary look. I love the glazed boxes facing the BBC Island.

Hasn't this design been around for a while now? I'm I sure this, or something very similar a couple of years ago. What building was on the site previously? Is it possible that it's an old bomb site from the war?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes i think this fits in very nicely with the sorounding buildings.

There was a similar design a couple of years ago,but not exactly the same.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I think it might be a bomb site, that car park opposite the Galleries of Justice certainly is.

Edit: Yes, one of the planning documents confirms this. Pity that it also suggests that part of a listed building will be demolished, seemingly the one bordering the bomb site, although I'm not sure of the extent of this proposed demolition. Otherwise it just looks as though the remnants of another building (that wall which can be seen to the left of the Trivett Square block from the bottom of the cliff) will go, although there doesn't appear to be anything else remaining of it.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I like this a lot, particularly the aspect from London Road. Good to see proposals for office developments still coming forward in this climate.

·
Registered
695 Posts
A brick box with part of its "brick" structure suspended over nothing and totally out of character with the surrounding buildings, especially the windows.
I have to agree with this. I've never liked any of the schemes they've brought forward for this site. In fairness the High Pavement side is ok but the massing and detailing are just wrong on the London Road side. Its such a sensitive location and viewpoint - they'd do a lot better just to have something much simpler, maybe of similar design and materials to the buildings at One Fletchergate, stepped up the hill. It'd probably be a much more viable option for the developer too.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I quite like the cantilevered part facing BBC Island though the massing might need some reviewing. I dont like the non-uniform massing of the windows on Short Hill though. It looks like they have tried to be sympathetic (and mainly successful) but also tried to be deliberately unsympathetic at other points, which seems an odd approach to take.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
A really good looking scheme, however stuff has been floating around on this site for years now with nothing happening so far so i think this might just be another pipe dream

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
What is wromg with the civic society? Are they on drugs, the building that they will construct is much much better and it will never obstruct the views of st marys, this is a load of bull

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
We need development around canal street, london road, queens road, and around other major gateways to the city, the civic society need to be shot

·
Davie
766 Posts
The view of the lacemarket and St Mary's as you approach the BBC roundabout is really great, so any development would have to be top notch.

I'm undecided regards the new design, it does seem to stick out rather alot.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts