SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who are able to get to Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Airport on Saturday, May 20th, by 7:30AM, there will be a 5K run on the newest runway. It's the one that is built on top of I-285.

I couldn't find a direct link to the registration page, but it's on the following general link for the airport: www.atlanta-airport.com

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 5 kilometer race, which is 3.1 miles or 16,500 feet. The runway is 9000 feet long so I assume we won't even get all the way down the runway before they turn us around. I'm bringing my little Canon 200 and will try to take some photos, especially of the parts that are built over I-285, and post them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Not trying to be negative but I'd think that would be one boring 5K. How much scenery can there be? Maybe I'm wrong but running on a flat unchanging surface would seem very unmotivating. Perhaps they can threaten to have a plane land near the end to give everyone a bit of extra motivation to hurry up and finish.

Back in college, I use to run 3 miles every night, so I know it isn't really that long of a distance but I had a nice campus to run through (and hot co-eds to show off to)

·
Amurika!
1,136 Posts
Not to mention hot as the mouth of hell. Running in cities, you frequently have greenery to help block out some of the heat. Out there on open pavement of a huge airport without a tree in sight, it's going to melt the tread off their shoes. Couldn't pay me enough money to run in that race.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, if the race was longer than 5K I'd probably pass out. Also, it starts at 7:30 am on May 20th, so I don't think it's going to be that hot. And there should be some planes landing and taking off on the "older" runways so it will be kind of cool. But, in case you have never been over to the Aviation subforum then you'd know that I am a self-avowed and extremely proud aviation freak. Running or even just being on a runway at the busiest airport in the world is just about the greatest thing to me. I know it's just a gigantic slab of concrete with asphalt to you guys, but to me it's a little slice of heaven.

This pic was taken in January, but you can see what the runway and taxiway look like from the air. (Not my photo.)

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
how often do you get a chance to run...on a runway. that is so cool. i woulda stuck my arms out and made airplane noises while i was running.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
that's freaky as shit that it's built over I-285...

-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts