SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah...we had an active day down here with fires, bridge closings, and a MAJOR accident on I-10 inbound to the City, close to the airport. The interstate into the City from the West was closed for over 7 hours which caused a massive 60+ mile traffic jam from New Orleans all the way up to Baton Rouge. It was a traffic nightmare, to say the least! Apparently the trucks leaked various fluids all over the interstate that had to be cleaned before I-10 could reopen. Here are some pics of the accident that caused all of the havoc:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Eddy Gordo said:
can New Orleans ever find peace?
LOL...My Dad was driving into the city from just West of Hammond, where they are living now, since they lost their home in Katrina. He says he's listening to the radio and hears of this accident, so he figures he'll head East on I-12 and come into the City through Slidell, to avoid the back-up and since the interstate is closed. As he gets to Slidell he hears more traffic reports that state that the I-10 twin spans into the City are going to be closed for 6 hours today for repairs, so he decides to take the Hwy. 11 bridge across Lake Pontchartrain. As he is on the Hwy. 11 bridge he sees the smoke and the radio states that the fire is close to the Crescent City Connection Downtown (which crosses the MS River--he was headed to the Westbank), and they may have to close the bridge because of the smoke. So he decides to go to Chalmette to take the ferry across the river. Well, as he is approaching the ferry, they close the ferry for 30 minutes because they are filming a commercial!!! :lol: Poor fella...it took him 3 1/2 hours to travel 70 miles with all of this stuff happening today. At least he had a good spirit...Katrina has taught us all patience!!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eddy Gordo said:
^ouch, i can't see myself living in the Big Easy under these circumstances man. No offense to you.
This....this is a typical day in the city. This feels completely back to normal. All events of this day, excluding the work on the I-10 twin spans had nothing to do with any hurricane. It's feeling more like normal, to me, every day. The events of today make me laugh and feel like I'm living in this City before Katrina! :)

·
Martial Artist
364 Posts
^u take it easy out there man cuz, i don't want you accidentially falling off a bridge inside your car in Lake Pontchartrain or worse.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm trying to be nice, but do you find it necessary to post every single "top-story/front cover" news article about New Orleans? While it maye be big news there, its not for the South/East. If you take a look, there is a "In the News" section, linked from the Skybar, I'm sure its more suited there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We had a crash like that in Birmingham/Hoover when I lived up there in 2001. A large truck carrying explosives from Ft. Mclellan in Anniston overturned and spilled its load on I-459 between the I-65/I-459 interchange and the I-459/Highway 31 interchange DURING AFTERNOON RUSH HOUR. They tried to evacuate a 1 mile radius (which I was on the edge of) and had to wait on a team of bomb people to come from Ft. Mclellan nearly 70 miles away. The situation effected north and south bound traffic on I-65 and east west traffic on I-459. They literally started stopping traffic a mile back on both ways of each interstate. People that left work and normally had 30 minute to 1 hour commutes literally didn't get home until 9 and 10 PM that night. Worst traffic scenario I've witnessed in my life. Anyone living in Bham at the time remembers that. That and the Malfunction Junction flyover being destroyed 2 times in less than a year by 18 wheelers.

·
Registered
626 Posts
One solution

Ban 18-wheelers from freeways... I'm sure it'd not be popular with transport companies, but a train can carry a lot more of those trailers than a truck can.

If every city with a lot of train tracks had a decent overpass/underpass system, trains could get a lot of traffic off the interstates.

In Augusta we have a perfect example of how NOT to do it. There are tracks running throughout downtown, crossing major traffic streets such as 15th, Broad, and Walton Way (further downtown close to Hwy 278). There is an overpass at Walton Way and Calhoun Expressway goes over the tracks, but traffic stops several times a day on other major roads for the crossbars to come down, and wait for the trains to go slowly past, sometimes stop and/or reverse, making people late for work and appointments.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fear of Heights, this is one of those traffic jams that will go down in history for this area, and it will certainly be remembered by anyone who was stuck in the thing, regardless of where they are from or where they were going. It will be remembered!

·
18,174 Posts
yakirz said:
Ban 18-wheelers from freeways... I'm sure it'd not be popular with transport companies, but a train can carry a lot more of those trailers than a truck can.

If every city with a lot of train tracks had a decent overpass/underpass system, trains could get a lot of traffic off the interstates.

In Augusta we have a perfect example of how NOT to do it. There are tracks running throughout downtown, crossing major traffic streets such as 15th, Broad, and Walton Way (further downtown close to Hwy 278). There is an overpass at Walton Way and Calhoun Expressway goes over the tracks, but traffic stops several times a day on other major roads for the crossbars to come down, and wait for the trains to go slowly past, sometimes stop and/or reverse, making people late for work and appointments.
yes, because a train can pull right up to the store and drop everything off.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Lots of businesses going under on Canal St. however. I drove down Canal today and was shocked at how many places were boarded up. Either that, or they are closed temporarily for flood repairs.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cannonized said:
Lots of businesses going under on Canal St. however. I drove down Canal today and was shocked at how many places were boarded up. Either that, or they are closed temporarily for flood repairs.
It's still that way in Mid-City, but, Downtown appears to be fine outside of a few shops. I drove through Downtown, just yesterday, and it appeared even more alive than it did a month ago, when I attended a seminar at Place St. Charles. I feel good about Downtown. The corporate community has returned full force.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sean in New Orleans said:
It's still that way in Mid-City, but, Downtown appears to be fine outside of a few shops. I drove through Downtown, just yesterday, and it appeared even more alive than it did a month ago, when I attended a seminar at Place St. Charles. I feel good about Downtown. The corporate community has returned full force.
Hey Sean, I have a lot of family who live down there in BR. Also in the Plaquemine, Amite and Pontchatoula area. Are you familiar with those towns? No one died in that wreck did they?

·
Registered
626 Posts
xzmattzx said:
yes, because a train can pull right up to the store and drop everything off.
LOL they can't, but there are certainly better ways to move things than having thousands of trucks on the road carrying one or two trailers behind them.

I have tracks right at my back yard... they can just slow the train down for a second and I'll pull my stuff off :tongue2:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bigboyz2004 said:
Hey Sean, I have a lot of family who live down there in BR. Also in the Plaquemine, Amite and Pontchatoula area. Are you familiar with those towns? No one died in that wreck did they?
No one died, thank goodness. It was a major accident of inconvenience.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BTW, can you imagine being in the traffic and asking someone what is going on and they answer, "There was a wreck 50 miles down the interstate!"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts