SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Profile of the Rising Sun
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a '7 Wonders of Britian' in the City Talk section but what are your 7 Wonders of Scotland?

:cheers:

·
smalltown boy
3,433 Posts
Without giving too much thought to this, and hence some fairly obvious choices, and in no particular order, here are my choices:

Skara Brae

St Peter's Seminary, Cardross

Forth Bridge

Glasgow School of Art

Caledonian Canal

The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh

West Highland Railway

·
5,566 Posts
Indeed, bravo :applause: :)

------

The Forth Rail AND Road Bridges: the combined effect is unparalleled (photo: Russell Davies linked his site one time, can't remember the name)

The Three Sisters, Glencoe (photo: Eric Paul)

Stirling Castle (photo: Ghirlbizzo)

The Tree that grows atop a big rock, Rannoch Moor (photo: BMPix)

The Falkirk Wheel (photo: greenplasticdave)

Grangemouth Oil Refinery (photo: unknown)

Edinburgh: Everything within a 1 mile radius of the Walter Scott "Rocket" (I know, I know, it's so vague, but that whole area and everything in it combines to create one of Europe's finest set-pieces: the view you get walking past the Balmoral and looking out over the valley and everything around you is just mesmerizing) (photo: sparky2000)

·
W la porchetta d'Ariccia
1,122 Posts
I would like to mention New Lanark, a very interesting and beautiful place, surrounded by a wonderful nature.
Here some pics I took last april

·
W la porchetta d'Ariccia
1,122 Posts
10 mins walk from New Lanark: Falls of Clyde :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Great thread. Some interesting suggestions so far. I particularly like the choices of New Lanark and Edinburgh (much as it pains me to say it, sometimes I wish I was from Edinburgh - there's so much there to be proud of).

Davey, I like the Falkirk wheel too but I worry that its a little contrived to be a bona fide 'wonder' of Scotland - its like a pastiche of a real industrial age structure. There doesn't seem to be an economic need for such a structure and I think of it as a very clever working sculpture rather than a clever engineering solution. As a symbol of Scottish engineering, I much prefer your choice of Grangemouth but personally, I would plump for the Bell Rock Lighthouse, which is my all time favourite building anywhere. I could write 5000 words on why I love this building so much, but instead I encourage everybody to read The Lighthouse Stevensons by Bella Bathurst

I would add the Finnieston Crane (which is my favourite thing in Glasgow) although I'm sure there would be some who would argue that the Titan Crane at Clydebank is more handsome. Can't be arsed putting in pictures of either, we all know fine what they look like. Either way, I can't think of more fitting symbols of Scotland's heritage as the most heavily industrialised country of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

For mountains and scenery, I'm going for Suilven but there's so many scenes of outstanding beauty in Scotland that its hard to single out one - imagine ignoring the Cuillin, Loch Lomond, Glen Etive, Mull, Sandalwood Bay, Loch Tay, Plockton (and all its handsome natives) to name just a few:

Arran has loads of great neolithic and bronze age relics. Here's some really quite incredible standing stones:

Single malt whisky, along with the word 'jobby', is one of Scotland's great gifts to the world. The best, without any shadow of a doubt, is Ardbeg:

Scotland has produced some remarkable athletes and other men of achievement over the centuries. Who better to typify our dedication to personal betterment through exercise and the discipline of physical achievement than this man?:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Suppose the natural wonders of scotland are to many to metion so I'll stick to the manmade

1- the m8
2- kelvingrove park
3- forth rail bridge
4- edinburgh old town (pains me to say it)
5- the clyde
6- hadrian's wall
7- loch catrin water supplying

·
Registered
9 Posts
A foreigners opinion (in no particular order):
(1) The Fortingall Yew (Glen Lyon)
(2) Isle of Staffa
(3) Calgary Bay
(4) Callanish Standing Stones
(5) Lochmaddy Lochs
(6) Clydeside
(7) Isle of Iona

·
smalltown boy
3,433 Posts
In the Crow Road, by Iain Banks, one of the characters, Verity, was conceived underneath the Fortingall Yew during a lightning storm. Man, I wish I had half the imagination that that guy does.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
For mountains and scenery, I'm going for Suilven but there's so many scenes of outstanding beauty in Scotland that its hard to single out one - imagine ignoring the Cuillin, Loch Lomond, Glen Etive, Mull, Sandalwood Bay, Loch Tay, Plockton (and all its handsome natives) to name just a few:
Suilven is one of my favourite *things* in the world! I love how it can be seen from miles around and is just soooo distinctive. And also from your list I love Glen Etive - easy to find yet most people go straight past it so you end up being on your own in beautiful scenery down a loooong road. :happy:

I would also add Tobermory to the list, Torridon, the view of Ben Nevis from the West, the expanse of nothingness to the north of Fort William and the expanse of nothingness to the north of Ullapool. :lol:

Also, am I allowed to mention the Red Road flats in Glasgow.....? :shifty:

·
Passionately Apathetic
5,324 Posts
I've been to Skara Brae, its great, fantastically well preserved, truly one of the seven wonders of Norway.
Scara Brae is both pre-Celtic and pre-Nordic :|

So it is truly one of the seven wonders of **** off Lostboy :)

·
Passionately Apathetic
5,324 Posts
Im surprised noone mentioned this -

Pffffft, Nicola's playmobile hair trumps Salmond's chins any day.

Altough admitidly Annabel Goldie's official status as the first male-woman on the planet deserves recognition.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts